Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Router can't access settings, now no internet!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Router can't access settings, now no internet!

Old 13-12-2007, 14:01   #1
Superplonk
Inactive

Superplonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Belkin Router can't access settings, now no internet!

Hi everyone,

Question from a new forum member.

Any idea why I cannot access the setup page of my new Belkin DSL pre-N router from my XP based PC? I can sometimes get to it from it from my Vista laptop however when I try to log in the page just hangs. (typing 192.168.2.1)

This morning found that I can no longer connect to the Internet no matter how many times I reset the NTL modem (08002EU model) and the Belkin Router. When using a Belkin router previously it was very difficult to get the PC to network with my two laptops and I found it worked best with Network Magic.

It would seem unlikely it is the firewalls or a Network Magic problem as uninstalling them has made no difference. I plugged an ethernet cable directly from the NTL modem into the laptop and connected immediately. Belkins technician took me through all the steps I had already tried and then the phone went dead!

There are lots of negative comments about the Belkin Pre-N routers maybe I should have bought a different brand.
Superplonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-12-2007, 14:42   #2
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Belkin Router can't access settings, now no internet!

are you connecting wired or wiress to the router?
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 15:29   #3
Superplonk
Inactive

PC wired & laptop wireless.
Old 13-12-2007, 16:18   #4
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

and its both machines that cannot access the net or just 1 of them?
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 18:27   #5
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

1st of all

now can you go to a dos prompt (Xp its start ---> run --> type in "cmd") you should then have a black screen, here type in "IPCONFIG" and check that the ip for the lan connection is something like 192.168.2.* if it isnt there is a problem with the line.

also how did you reset the pre-n? if you just unpowered it that doesnt work, you would have to turn the unit upside down, and on the top left there is a reset hole that you have to press with something like a paperclip.

the way to reset the pre-n is as followed:
unpower the router
plug in the paperclip in the reset hole
power the router back up whilst holding the reset button and then hold it for 10 seconds.

this should bring the router back.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 07:43   #6
Superplonk
Inactive

IT was both PC and lap that would not connect to net or the router set up page. I was re-setting the router by pressing the reset button for 5+ seconds and setting modem first etc., the IP for the LAN is also correct.

It does seem to be the PC or the combination of the PC & the NTL router that is the problem. I disconnected the router from the modem and the PC and found the laptop would "talk" wirelessly to the router. Just in case of conflicts I changed the the routers IP address but as soon as I cabled up again I could no longer reach the router set up page.

Not sure if it makes sense but it would seem possible the PC is not releasing the router after a failed contact attempt.
Old 14-12-2007, 09:43   #7
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

isolate the problem, NO 1 being if you cant get into the LAN side of the router with even the wired PC then it might be a problem with eather the wrong IP your using , the rj45 cable or even the i assume windows install.

first thing i usually do is run a livecd of slax to take the windows install out the equation, assuming slax works for your PC hardware (it should as its pritty good with most generic hardware) then test again the default IP , after a full cold reset back to factory setings per DDs post.
and go from there.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 10:11   #8
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The Belkin router does work with VM. I use one.

As mentioned what is you PC's IP, it should be 192.168.2.[2-254].

Can you ping 192.168.2.1?

Have you just installed the latest winamp and extra bits? That did my system in. Uninstall all of winamp and extras then reinstall without the remote bit.
Now power cycle the router. Then power cycle PC. If this doesn't work, get a paper clip and bend it so you can hold it in the reset hole. Holding the reset, power off router and wait 20-30 secs then power on and after a few secs release the reset. This should factory set router. Now power up PC and using wire try to get to router and reconfigure.
Old 14-12-2007, 10:18   #9
Superplonk
Inactive

I have just noticed that when I cable the new router to the PC (Cable to the modem not connected) under "Network Connections", "LAN or High Speed Internet" I get one icon Local Area Connection 3 Connected.

However doing the same with the old router I get the same but in addition to the above I also get a new icon and "Internet Connection", "Disabled". Unfortunately I have no idea what the significance of this is!
Old 14-12-2007, 13:02   #10
Superplonk
Inactive

Tried everything, even installed latest PC mobo drivers. Yes I can ping the router but still can't get into setup page.

Have come to the conclusion that it's faulty as it suddenly stopped broadcasting as well!I have now set up a old Belkin Router that, although a bit slow, is working and I can get into setup from laptop or PC.

If no one has any other ideas I will get a refund. Any suggestions for another Pre-N DSL router?
Old 14-12-2007, 13:50   #11
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

superplonk if you follow the advice I've given you on resetting the router that will work. (I used to work for belkin technical support so I know what I'm talking bout here)

the router will work fine with NTL I've had it myself for 2 years
Old 14-12-2007, 20:56   #12
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
superplonk if you follow the advice I've given you on resetting the router that will work. (I used to work for belkin technical support so I know what I'm talking bout here)

the router will work fine with NTL I've had it myself for 2 years
DD,do Belkin do user installable firmware updates ?

i wonder if theres an update to this unit he could try, preN being new its possible it might help .
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 09:04   #13
DocDutch
argh

popper, the pre-n has been out and obsoleted now for 7 months. also would need the model number of the unit to be able to say yes on firmware as if its the 8230 then there isnt a recent fw.

superplonk, it is the F5D8230 or something else?