Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fed up with Amazon prime phone calls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Fed up with Amazon prime phone calls

Old 02-03-2021, 11:32   #16
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Fed up with Amazon prime phone calls

I just tell them my washing machine is 22 years old (dishwasher, TV etc are 15 years old). They go away then but they keep coming back.

Just waiting for the telecoms companies to offer something to block calls where the originating termination doesn't match the caller-id presented number. I reckon that would stymie many of these. Could have exceptions for known companies where caller-id matches a block of numbers for that originating termination.

Additionally a feature where a subscriber can log calls based on the originating termination and get that blocked to their line. This would need to happen at exchange as that detail isn't presented to the subscriber.
Old 02-03-2021, 13:23   #17
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Not had any such calls since turning on Sky Talk Shield. When you set it up you can create a list of numbers and either block them or star them. Starred calls ring as normal, blocked don't - it's as simple as that. Any other number is met by an automatic system that askes the caller to dial a random number to be connected. There's an on-line list of all calls from the last 30 days which can be added to the blocked or starred lists as you want. Just had a look and the system has 'dealt with' 9 calls in the last 30 days.

Must admit, I do miss the calls from my ISP telling me I've got a virus though.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 20:14   #18
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Truecall (either the standalone one, or one built into a handset) will block 100% of scam/marketing calls.

Real people you haven't already whitelisted can just say their name and press # to get through to you, but the scammers wont get that far as their systems interpret as an answerphone which their autodiallers hang up on.

We used to get 3 calls a day. Got one of these 10 years ago and now we only ever get legitimate calls.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:50   #19
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

i think Ive mentioned this before, but we simply dont answer unless the number comes up as known (ie programmed in).
Anything else goes to the answer machine. Genuine callers who want to get in touch will leave a message. Scammers/sales/whatever obviously do not.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 15:42   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

On a related note, there's a new O2 scam going around (they just tried it with me).

How it works is this -

They (the fraudsters) ring you, and say you have been selected for a 40% reduction in your tariff - to access this, they will send you two text messages, and you should tell them the code from the second text message, which is how they validate you are the account holder.

What in fact is happening, is that they have tried to get into your account, and because of whatever they do, it causes O2 to send you two text messages.

1st one says
Quote:
*FRAUD ALERT - MUST READ
Has someone called ou and asked for a code? Hang up, they do not work for O2 and are trying to commit fraud on your O2 account. Never give a one time code to anyone who called you. Call us on 202 if you need help. If you requeted a code yourself, we'll be texting it to you shortly
2nd text message is
Quote:
Here is your code : nnnn
Please enter this code to retrieve your O2 account. If you did not authorise this, please contact O2
I assume the fraudsters then hope you are stupid enough not to read the text messages, and just give them the code, which means they then can access your O2 account.

I reported the number to O2, and blocked it (0330 220 4417).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 16:08   #21
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
On a related note, there's a new O2 scam going around (they just tried it with me).

I reported the number to O2, and blocked it (0330 220 4417).

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/03302204417

Scroll down to User Reports
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 15:50   #22
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Currently having fun during lock down by answering the calls from these people:

01236 339018 supposedly in Coatbridge (Scotland)

Just had the 3rd of the day, asking for a different name, mumbling the same crap about a pre-payment meter, and they eventually got the same 2 word reply.

Wife told me to block the number, but you have to make your own fun these days
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 21:15   #23
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Currently having fun during lock down by answering the calls from these people:

01236 339018 supposedly in Coatbridge (Scotland)

Just had the 3rd of the day, asking for a different name, mumbling the same crap about a pre-payment meter, and they eventually got the same 2 word reply.

Wife told me to block the number, but you have to make your own fun these days

Same here mate, I give them absolute dogs when they phone.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 12:16   #24
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
i think Ive mentioned this before, but we simply dont answer unless the number comes up as known (ie programmed in).
Anything else goes to the answer machine. Genuine callers who want to get in touch will leave a message. Scammers/sales/whatever obviously do not.
I do the same, but the only issue with this is that if you are in regularly use your GP and/or have medical appointments etc, you may miss a important call.

This happened to me once last year when I ignored a "withheld number" and it happened to be a hospital consultant calling my house and they rarely call anyone at home.

Many hospital and GP surgeries use extensions and these show up on Caller ID as withheld numbers or unknown numbers, so people should just be aware of this.

The only other issue that I'm getting is that Indian call centres are calling from my immediate local number. My area code covers around 100k people, but the next digit after that is specific to my town only and that's the numbers that are calling my house now. And as the numbers are so local, I have answered some of them, thinking they might be neighbours or something.

Last edited by Horizon; 18-05-2021 at 12:21.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote