Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How Do I Connect Several Hard Drives Together?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How Do I Connect Several Hard Drives Together?

Old 14-12-2007, 21:46   #1
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
How Do I Connect Several Hard Drives Together?

Hi all,

I've got 3 pcs connected together via homeplugs all with static IPs. One of the computers is connected to my actiontec router which in turn is connected to the cable modem.

In the future when a decent media hub/streaming box is invented, I wish to view all my videos/music/photos etc stored on the 3 pcs on the telly. I haven't yet found a box which will do what I want, so that will have to wait for now.

The current problem I have is that I have several additional IDE drives with the bulk of my videos on them. These are internal drives and I connect them to one of the pcs (not all at the same time) using usb-ide adapters.

I'm greedy.

I want to access all of my videos and media content at the same time and on any pc on my network. It's not really practical connecting all the additional drives to my 3 pcs using the ide adapters, as it creates a wiring spaghetti nightmare amongst other issues.

I have looked at obtaining a NAS rack which can hold several internal drives at once, but the ones I've seen (from the States) are at least several hundred dollars each and I simply don't have the dosh for them.

The one very important issue, is that I need to keep the drives cool as they get very hot playing videos. Currently, when I use one of the drives connected via the usb-ide adapter to one of the pcs, I use a very high tech solution of my desk fan to cool the drive....I need something better!

So, is there anything out there which is affordable, which can take several drives, be network compatible and has fans/cooling in it?

Many thanks.
Old 14-12-2007, 21:49   #2
zing_deleted

Re: How Do I Connect Several Hard Drives Together?

build a nas box or simple server. A simple basic pc something old will do.If you have more than 4 hdds then try and source a mobo with extra ide a fair few of the old skt 939 mobos had 4 giving room for 8. Then perhaps run a light linux or specified os on it and run it on the network . It will then be accessable from all pcs
Old 14-12-2007, 21:53   #3
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Thanks, I've never heard of a mobo. So shall investigate that.

I'm afraid my technical know-how is limited (very...) and would have no idea of how to run linux or other operating system on the network. Won't windows xp work? I also wouldn't how to build a nas box/server.
Old 14-12-2007, 21:59   #4
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

I use Windows XP home edition for my server - it does the job a treat with a PC and a laptop pulling files from it - it also sits under my TV and acts as a DVD player, Youtube player and general media centre (although without the fancy MCE stuff)
I thing it's a great solution. I've got two IDE HDD's and two SATA drives along with one USB drive all connected and shared
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 22:06   #5
Horizon
Media Watcher

Just did a quick search on a 939 mobo and it comes up as being a motherboard. I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it...

I've done lots of searching on the net and apart from expensive racks from the States, there appears to be no retailers selling what I want. I can't be the only non-techy person with this issue, yet there doesn't appear to be any retailer with the kit I need. Yes, I did try PC World....they wern't helpful.
Old 14-12-2007, 23:58   #6
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Just did a quick search on a 939 mobo and it comes up as being a motherboard. I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it...

I've done lots of searching on the net and apart from expensive racks from the States, there appears to be no retailers selling what I want. I can't be the only non-techy person with this issue, yet there doesn't appear to be any retailer with the kit I need. Yes, I did try PC World....they wern't helpful.
It's the sort of thing a local pc tech could build for you quite cheaply. Most of us have older kit laying around that would be perfectly adequate.
Do you or any of your friends have a local pc fixer that you know and trust? If so, I'd talk to them about the project. I've done a couple locally and it can work out very well for all concerned.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 01:23   #7
Horizon
Media Watcher

...thanks. I don't know any pc fixer's myself, but I might try a small computer shop. Just hope they don't notice the "small" quantity of downloaded dvds on them...
Old 15-12-2007, 13:21   #8
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
...thanks. I don't know any pc fixer's myself, but I might try a small computer shop. Just hope they don't notice the "small" quantity of downloaded dvds on them...
I normally just grab a copy of anything that looks interesting.. other than that it's 'blind eye' mode..

Luckily I've never run into a Gary Glitter wannabee so far. That would definitely change the rules.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote