Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 18:24   #1756
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
A story I posted last night has since been found out to be fake news (We use an new source).

I am really very sorry about that.
Handy hint - try to have two separate sources* before you publish.

*and that doesn’t mean one quoting another, but two separate independent sources.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2021, 00:48   #1757
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Handy hint - try to have two separate sources* before you publish.

*and that doesn’t mean one quoting another, but two separate independent sources.
Getting a single source is difficult enough, getting two sources to agree with each other is a pretty tall order.
Old 17-11-2021, 12:01   #1758
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Getting a single source is difficult enough, getting two sources to agree with each other is a pretty tall order.
Well, otherwise it's a rumour, not breaking news...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 17-11-2021, 14:57   #1759
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

The retirement of the V+ has been mentioned recently, but this is the first time I've heard a time. The end of this month.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/virgin-med...re-old-v-boxes
Old 17-11-2021, 16:32   #1760
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
The retirement of the V+ has been mentioned recently, but this is the first time I've heard a time. The end of this month.

That sounds familiar

Quote:
"Andyland" is now reporting on DS Forum that the information slates are saying:

"URGENT ACTION REQUIRED" and the description reads: "This Virgin Media service will no longer be supported and will be closing on 30th November 2021."

So what is closing V Boxes or V+ Boxes.
Old 17-11-2021, 17:38   #1761
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, otherwise it's a rumour, not breaking news...
It depends on the source and their connections to the industry. It's always best to treat "breaking news" as a rumour, however reliable, simply because plans can change at the last minute.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

Rxtvinfo are a bit late with that one. Retiring old Liberate based hardware should allow Virgin to remove the obsolete infrastructure still used to support it.
Old 17-11-2021, 18:35   #1762
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

It seems odd they are replacing obsolete boxes with V6s, which I don't think are provided for new installs any more. Maybe it's a way of reusing older V6 hardware given the chip shortages.

Quote:
Rxtvinfo are a bit late with that one. Retiring old Liberate based hardware should allow Virgin to remove the obsolete infrastructure still used to support it.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. As far as I'm aware, this is actually the first public report about what the information channel has been added for.
Old 17-11-2021, 18:57   #1763
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That sounds familiar
Well my memory clearly ain't quite what is was for dates.

Ta BenMcr.
Old 17-11-2021, 19:00   #1764
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
It seems odd they are replacing obsolete boxes with V6s, which I don't think are provided for new installs any more. Maybe it's a way of reusing older V6 hardware given the chip shortages.
There is an existing process to swap a V box for TiVo or V6 without disrupting the bundle or contract that's been in place since the replacement activity started.

That doesn't exist for Virgin TV 360.
Old 17-11-2021, 19:19   #1765
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by this. As far as I'm aware, this is actually the first public report about what the information channel has been added for.
What I mean is, the end of service slates were added to the EPG of the relevant boxes on the 1st November, it has taken until the 17th for rxtvinfo to report this. I can't say I'm surprised, it's not really "big news".
Old 17-11-2021, 20:15   #1766
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There is an existing process to swap a V box for TiVo or V6 without disrupting the bundle or contract that's been in place since the replacement activity started.

That doesn't exist for Virgin TV 360.
My late dad box was swap from V+ box to TiVo in April 2019. Information appeared in early March 2019 but I was banned from phoning Virgin up for two weeks to let him watch his John Wayne films. Then he forgot his PIN to order an new box so we has to wait an other week to get his PIN via Royal Mail before we try again. We has to try two times as Virgin forgot to put his PIN on the letter of the first one.

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Quote:
What I mean is, the end of service slates were added to the EPG of the relevant boxes on the 1st November, it has taken until the 17th for rxtvinfo to report this. I can't say I'm surprised, it's not really "big news".
Information was added to my blog about on November 1st telling everyone about V+ box being removed from November 30th.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...t-to-move.html
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 17-11-2021 at 20:17. Reason: Putting right year in.
Old 19-11-2021, 07:00   #1767
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Both my 360 boxes have received the 4.36 software update overnight. No obvious changes that I can see but I will explore later.
Old 19-11-2021, 08:04   #1768
epsilon
cf.geek

Breaking News (information received this morning): 14 new service labels have been added to the SDT, all labelled "BBC One HD" and set initially to channel 108. I've been told that, at the moment, none of these name the region in the service label and they haven't yet been added to the NIT, so it isn't possible to guess the regions at this stage. These changes are thought to be the start of preparations for the addition of the BBC One HD English regions. (SID 10178 to 10191).
Old 19-11-2021, 19:19   #1769
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Breaking News (information received this morning): 14 new service labels have been added to the SDT, all labelled "BBC One HD" and set initially to channel 108. I've been told that, at the moment, none of these name the region in the service label and they haven't yet been added to the NIT, so it isn't possible to guess the regions at this stage. These changes are thought to be the start of preparations for the addition of the BBC One HD English regions. (SID 10178 to 10191).
They must be testing BBC One London in one of the SID you have listing as far as I know BBC One only have 13 channels only broadcasting in SD right now.

They are:
-BBC One East [East] (East of England)
-BBC One East [West] (Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and parts of Buckinghamshire)
-BBC One East Mids (East Midlands of England.)
-BBC One NE & C (North East of England and Cumbria)
-BBC One North West (North West of England)
-BBC One Oxford (Oxfordshire & Parts of Wiltshire, Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire)
-BBC One South (South of England)
-BBC One South East (Kent and East Sussex)
-BBC One South West (South West of England)
-BBC One West (West of England)
-BBC One West Mids (West Midlands of England)
-BBC One Yorks (Yorkshire and North Midlands)
-BBC One East Yorks & Lin (East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire)

Or am I missing an area?
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 19-11-2021 at 19:31.
Old 19-11-2021, 20:02   #1770
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
They must be testing BBC One London in one of the SID you have listing as far as I know BBC One only have 13 channels only broadcasting in SD right now.
Yes, I guess so. The existing service data will be used to preserve recordings for a while, so London will need a new service-id. There is a London SD region at the moment as the HD service has no regional content. Also, at some point additional services will be needed for overlap areas.

Last edited by epsilon; 19-11-2021 at 20:06.
Closed Thread