Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'Hot spot'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connecting upstairs laptop to router?

Old 22-08-2005, 15:46   #1
ilford-jedi
Inactive

Services: NTL basic phone/TV package with Dial-up
ilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about them
Connecting upstairs laptop to router?

I have managed to get hold of a 20 meter straight patch lead from the IT bloke at work and want to run it through the ceiling into the loft conversion so I can connect my router (Netsys wrt54g) which is downstairs to a laptop in the loft. This laptop currently connects to the net via an NTL dial-up account which I'll probably have to uninstal.

I just wondered how easy it is to get things up and running so the upstairs lappy shares my BB connection. Do I have muck around with any 'wizards' or is it pretty straight forward.

any advice or step by step would be much appreciated.
ilford-jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2005, 15:48   #2
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat
Re: Connecting upstairs laptop to router?

just plug it in and set the network interface to configure automaticaly...

only question is : if you have a wrt54g - why don't you just get a wireless card for the laptop and save the grief ?
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 16:21   #3
ilford-jedi
Inactive

ilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovat
just plug it in and set the network interface to configure automaticaly...
Thanks, how do I go about doing that?

A wireless card is next on my shopping list but the lappy belongs to an impatient teenager
Old 23-08-2005, 12:04   #4
zovat
Inactive

zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age

depends on what Os the laptop is running.

if you select properties for the network card, there should be a ratio button for "obtain settings automatically"
Old 23-08-2005, 12:43   #5
ilford-jedi
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovat
depends on what Os the laptop is running.

if you select properties for the network card, there should be a ratio button for "obtain settings automatically"
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm running XP Pro with SP2. Are there any other boxes I have to check?
Old 23-08-2005, 16:22   #6
zovat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilford-jedi
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm running XP Pro with SP2. Are there any other boxes I have to check?
nope, that should be it..
Old 23-08-2005, 17:40   #7
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
The wirless zero configuration that automatically runs in XP will start trying to fo the job for you anyway.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 22:17   #8
zovat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
The wirless zero configuration that automatically runs in XP will start trying to fo the job for you anyway.
he's not using the wireless link - he's running a long cat5 ...
Old 24-08-2005, 00:49   #9
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Some peoples patience, drill a hole in the ceiling to run a CAT5, or wait a few days for a wireless card. Impatient teenager has been on dial up sufficiently long that the could wait a couple more days.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 04:59   #10
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
I have managed to get hold of a 20 meter straight patch lead from the IT bloke at work and want to run it through the ceiling into the loft conversion so I can connect my router (Netsys wrt54g) which is downstairs to a laptop in the loft. This laptop currently connects to the net via an NTL dial-up account which I'll probably have to uninstal.

I just wondered how easy it is to get things up and running so the upstairs lappy shares my BB connection. Do I have muck around with any 'wizards' or is it pretty straight forward.

any advice or step by step would be much appreciated.

I have a linkseys router, my lad shares my 3meg connection via the router, it was a dream to set up, if I can do it anyone can, it took about an hour and a half. The whole set up cost £70.
Old 24-08-2005, 07:34   #11
bayonet
cf.addict

Services: 152Mb 2AC Superhub XL TV with TIVO
bayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nice

You could look in your local PC world (expensive) or Maplins for a wireless USB adapter or dongle, cost about £20 used one on my daughter's laptop, worked a treat. They usually comes with their own driver CD or Win XP will pick it up when you plug it in, just follow the instructions.
bayonet is offline   Reply With Quote