Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus

Old 03-12-2021, 20:53   #211
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, it’s shield the vulnerable. What are lockdowns - your solution - if not isolation?
Again you deliberately conflate restrictions with lockdowns. Proving my point that debating with you is an essentially meaningless exercise because you fail to consider the points that are actually being made to you. Have you even considered if the economic impact of "shield the vulnerable", plus those self-selecting their way out of the economy and the WFH brigade outweigh the economic impact of some mitigations? You yourself couldn't name a single activity you wanted to do but could not directly before so-called "Freedom Day". Of course you haven't - because it's purely ideological.

Quote:
Lockdowns will not eliminate the virus - although you don’t seem to understand this point.
Burying your head in the sand won't bring back a 2019 economy either.

Quote:
The scientists have been trying to control our actions and what we can and cannot do since Covid arrived, and now it’s become a habitual knee-jerk response to everything. Some are making no secret of the fact they want to see mask wearing and social distancing forever more.
I've yet to see anyone say that those are required forever - this is pure speculation on your part and scaremongering.

Quote:
And what do you mean by ‘ I suspect in your head, you plan to stay in for a few months until it blew over’? Where does that come from? Nobody stops me from going out, sunshine.
I mean the words I say - they are clear and unambiguous statements. You don't see me shifting goalposts so read it back to yourself, interpret it as you wish and take it from there.

I note you specifically say "nobody" stops me from going out - not "nothing" stops me from going out. These have two distinct meanings. I didn't at any stage deny that you would be making an autonomous choice in taking the proposed action. Sunshine.

Last edited by jfman; 03-12-2021 at 20:57.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2021, 21:04   #212
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Jffers, get a beer.....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 21:19   #213
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Oh dear, bit like a playground round here..
I was hoping you would step up and assist an older person with obvious cognitive issues.

Bless you.
Old 03-12-2021, 21:22   #214
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I was hoping you would step up and assist an older person with obvious cognitive issues.

Bless you.
I'd help you cross the road, anytime old chap
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 22:00   #215
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Even if the double jabbed that get infected, aren't able to pass it on, they must have caught it from someone who DID pass it on. The number of double-jabbed and infected, indicates how many infectious people are still out there.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 22:49   #216
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I'd help you cross the road, anytime old chap
There’s not many be so kind. Bonny lad.
Old 03-12-2021, 22:53   #217
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Even if the double jabbed that get infected, aren't able to pass it on, they must have caught it from someone who DID pass it on. The number of double-jabbed and infected, indicates how many infectious people are still out there.
There's only about 50m double jabbed so still a fair few to go.

I notice SAGE are at it agin trying to instil fear.

Quote:
Despite the hopes afforded by boosters, the SAGE papers today suggested Britain will not be coronavirus-free for at least another five years.

Experts suggested some form of measures will be needed for the next half a decade, with constant monitoring required to prevent future waves after Omicron has finished.

SAGE said: 'SARS-CoV-2 will continue to be a threat to health system function and require active management, of which vaccination and surveillance are key, for at least the next five years.'
Trying to justify their jobs perhaps?

Last edited by pip08456; 03-12-2021 at 23:07.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 23:15   #218
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
There's only about 50m double jabbed so still a fair few to go.

I notice SAGE are at it agin trying to instil fear.

Trying to justify their jobs perhaps?
What do you propose? Not monitoring?

As we are two years in on our fourth major variant (other areas of the world have saw others) I'm not convinced pretending it's not out there is a viable solution.

If vaccines are to become annual affairs, as many expect, monitoring is essential to find out how to tweak each vaccine.

This is what living with the virus looks like.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:02   #219
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m one minute in and so far I can tell Covid is on the up in almost all age groups, and almost all regions. Is there good news in there?
Maybe you should try watching all of it instead of 1 minute

Basically, "dont panic".
There is lots of hype about Omicron, but little to back it up atm.
Its likely to be a lot less of an issue than you think and could even just fizzle out, like beta did.

Oh, and covid cases (in general) are going up in most of Europe, but not so much in the UK.
Probably because we "unlocked" in the summer, they didnt, plus the added effect of boosters.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:31   #220
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Again you deliberately conflate restrictions with lockdowns. Proving my point that debating with you is an essentially meaningless exercise because you fail to consider the points that are actually being made to you. Have you even considered if the economic impact of "shield the vulnerable", plus those self-selecting their way out of the economy and the WFH brigade outweigh the economic impact of some mitigations? You yourself couldn't name a single activity you wanted to do but could not directly before so-called "Freedom Day". Of course you haven't - because it's purely ideological.

Burying your head in the sand won't bring back a 2019 economy either.
Same old, same old. All this has been explained in previous posts. I’m getting off your merry go round now. You’ve had your fun, but you haven’t won.

As long as the PM keeps his nerve when so many lefties are panicking, we’ll be just fine resisting the panic measures these people are advocating.

---------- Post added at 01:31 ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 ----------

Quote:
What do you propose? Not monitoring?

As we are two years in on our fourth major variant (other areas of the world have saw others) I'm not convinced pretending it's not out there is a viable solution.

If vaccines are to become annual affairs, as many expect, monitoring is essential to find out how to tweak each vaccine.

This is what living with the virus looks like.
You are the one pretending there’s a crisis here in the U.K.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 04-12-2021 at 01:29.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:42   #221
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Maybe you should try watching all of it instead of 1 minute

Basically, "dont panic".
There is lots of hype about Omicron, but little to back it up atm.
Its likely to be a lot less of an issue than you think and could even just fizzle out, like beta did.

Oh, and covid cases (in general) are going up in most of Europe, but not so much in the UK.
Probably because we "unlocked" in the summer, they didnt, plus the added effect of boosters.
As we all know the British public respond well to “don’t panic”.

What you call ‘hype’ is grounded scientific analysis. While it may be that in practice vaccine efficacy holds up better than predicted, or the increased transmissibility seen to date is actually a fluke of a small number of superspreader events.

That doesn’t mean caution shouldn’t be considered. Individuals will take it upon themselves to exercise caution regardless until the data is clear.

Country comparisons suddenly valid because (relatively) we have looked in line with everyone else for a few weeks is a strange one, but it’s a long winter.

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Same old, same old. All this has been explained in previous posts. I’m getting off your merry go round now. You’ve had your fun, but you haven’t won.

As long as the PM keeps his nerve when so many lefties are panicking, we’ll be just fine resisting the panic measures these people are advocating.
No answers but once again trying to portray this as a left wing ruse. My good news for you is Boris has such a great track record at not panicking.

Quote:
You are the one pretending there’s a crisis here in the U.K.
Enjoy living with the virus off the merry go round. Do come back when restrictions are reintroduced, if so just for my entertainment.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:22   #222
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

NHS allows GPs to postpone health checks for over-75s to focus on booster jabs

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-nhs...-jabs-12486013
Old 04-12-2021, 12:20   #223
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.21266068v2

Quote:
Although increases in the hazard of primary infection were observed following the introduction of both the Beta and Delta variants, no corresponding increase was observed in the reinfection hazard (approach 2). Contrary to expectation, the estimated hazard ratio for reinfection versus primary infection was lower during waves driven by the Beta and Delta variants than for the first wave (relative hazard ratio for wave 2 versus wave 1: 0.75 (CI95: 0.59-0.97); for wave 3 versus wave 1:0.71 (CI95: 0.56-0.92)). In contrast, the recent spread of the Omicron variant has been associated with a decrease in the hazard of primary infection and an increase in reinfection hazard. The estimated hazard ratio for reinfection versus primary infection for the period from 1 November 2021 to 27 November 2021 versus wave 1 was 2.39 (CI95: 1.88-3.11).

Conclusion: Population-level evidence suggests that the Omicron variant is associated with substantial ability to evade immunity from prior infection. In contrast, there is no population-wide epidemiological evidence of immune escape associated with the Beta or Delta variants. This finding has important implications for public health planning, particularly in countries like South Africa with high rates of immunity from prior infection. Urgent questions remain regarding whether Omicron is also able to evade vaccine-induced immunity and the potential implications of reduced immunity to infection on protection against severe disease and death.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 16:01   #224
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
NHS allows GPs to postpone health checks for over-75s to focus on booster jabs

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-nhs...-jabs-12486013
A foolish decision, imo. If the doctors were true to their oath, they'd put in extra hours yo do the vaccinations rather than stiff the old folk.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 16:31   #225
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
A foolish decision, imo. If the doctors were true to their oath, they'd put in extra hours yo do the vaccinations rather than stiff the old folk.
All three of my jabs have been administered by a nurse . . . no doctor in sight
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote