Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT adsl advice please?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT adsl advice please?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:18   #1
pompeyrodney
Inactive

Services: 10MB Broadband, TV and Phone
pompeyrodney is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to pompeyrodney Send a message via Yahoo to pompeyrodney
BT adsl advice please?

I have been asked to fit add an additional PC to an existing household that receives it's broadband via an adsl modem. The extra PC requires to connect wirelessly from a different room. What I would like to know is whether or not I need to buy a combined adsl modem and wireless router, or just to add a router to the exisiting modem. Which would be the easiest/cheapest option baring in mind it would need to fitted in a short space of time at a weekend. Thanks in advance of any help offered.
pompeyrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2009, 10:38   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: BT adsl advice please?

Which modem do you have? Is it an ethernet modem or a USB modem. If ethernet then you could get an ethernet router that will plug into the existing modem. Otherwise yes you can buy a router with an ADSL modem built in, either one will have 4 ethernet ports and wifi capability.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:43   #3
pompeyrodney
Inactive

The modem is as supplied by BT but I will check what model it is and its connection type and get back to you Kymmy. Thanks.
Old 13-08-2009, 10:48   #4
pompeyrodney
Inactive

Hi Kymmy
The modem is a BT Voyager 100 adsl Modem. The item number on the back is 011596 - if that helps. It does go into a USB port. Do you think I could connect this modem into an Adsl router, or should I buy a combined affair with wireless. Thank you.
Old 13-08-2009, 12:30   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

No routers have support to be connected to a USB modem (all of them require ethernet), so best to go for a router that has a built in ADSL modem with WiFi.
Old 13-08-2009, 12:43   #6
pompeyrodney
Inactive

BT adsl advice please?

Hi Kymmy
Thanks for that, I guess I shall have to look for an ADSL modem/router with built in wireless. Any suggestions as to what might be a good buy then please?
Old 13-08-2009, 12:58   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Sowwy, not touched ADSL for a couple of years.. But may I suggest that you stick with good names like D-Link or Netgear and also perhaps go for an N speed router though if you only have G speed devices then a G speed router will do, just thought that an N speed router will do for the future
Old 13-08-2009, 14:27   #8
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Netgear DGN2000 seems to get excellent reviews. 4 wired ports plus the new N wireless that gives much better range.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 17:03   #9
pompeyrodney
Inactive

Thanks a lot will take a look.