Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM + WebSTAR EPC2100R2 + Cisco VPN Appliance

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM + WebSTAR EPC2100R2 + Cisco VPN Appliance

Old 10-06-2008, 17:05   #1
paulszat
Inactive

paulszat is an unknown quantity at this point
VM + WebSTAR EPC2100R2 + Cisco VPN Appliance

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this forum but helping somebody out there might have some information to help me.

I need to setup a Cisco ASA 5505 to provide VPN access to my LAN via a Scientific Atlanta 2100. At any one time there could be 5 simultaneous VPN tunnels. Can anyone foresee any problem from either the modem not supporting VPN pass-through or the VM network restricting the number of concurrent VPN sessions?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Paul
paulszat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2008, 17:48   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VM + WebSTAR EPC2100R2 + Cisco VPN Appliance

The specific issue with an incoming VPN will be the dynamic IP of your Cable modem.

5 incoming VPNs will be requiring a fairly hefty use of the upload capacity of the bandwidth you have. If other things are going on as well, something could grind to a halt.

I've only used VPN outbound from my cable so I can't advise on overall stability. One VPN incoming might be OK, but 5 could be pushing it. Having said that I know of people who've had 12 connections to a home hosted gaming server and it's still run OK, so you might get away with it. There did used to be restrictions in the AUP about VPN use, especially heavy use.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 17:51   #3
paulszat
Inactive

paulszat is an unknown quantity at this point

The dynamic IP isn't too much of an issue. I'll be using PSK's for identification and DynDNS for host name to IP resolution.
I should have been more specific on the type of incoming VPN's....they will be initiated from GPRS/3G devices so bandwidth usage isn't going to be huge. I was more worried about VM throttling concurrent sessions.
paulszat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 18:11   #4
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

I VPN into my NAS and dont have any issues. I do limit it to 3 connections and have never had more than one active at any time
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 18:11   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Apologies for the hijack, anybody got a link to an 'idiot's guide to setting up VPNs'?

Thanks
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 18:18   #6
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Apologies for the hijack, anybody got a link to an 'idiot's guide to setting up VPNs'?

Thanks

i think i went here when i set mine up

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 18:21   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Thanks
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote