Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1mb on 5 computers. How do I do it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problem with Safecom Router SBRU-10100... and NTL?

Old 20-09-2005, 19:32   #1
whiskieman
Inactive

whiskieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem with Safecom Router SBRU-10100... and NTL?

Hello there fellas,, 1st post here (very nice forum btw!)

Anyway on to my post :P

Well I just moved in to my new (student) house. Its divided into 6 different flats each having its own NTL modem (what a mess the modem cabinet is...) and its all hardwired so in each flat each room has an ethernet plug. After some messing around, and several angry calls to NTL, I managed to get it my modem to work.

Right now its connected to the house's cabling and there's a switch in my flat separating the connection into each room. Obviously I need a router before that as a simple switch won't be able to give each PC an individual IP address (right?)

There were Safecom Router SBRU-10100 connected to the modem downstairs in the cabinet but I found out that when I connect it to the modem the router won't see the external IP address given by the cable modem...

Apparently from reviews and other forums I've read online I have a really crap router but before I consider replacing it I want to try every option I have with my current set-up.

I've read about MAC address cloning and that I need to provide the router with my Host/Domain name (NTL account info?) I was wondering if anyone came accross similar problems trying to create a LAN with NTL connection?

Any help is really appreciated and don't be afraid on getting too technical.. I know my networks just ran out of ideas really...

Alternatively can you suggest a good wireless router that works well with NTL AND DOES NOT NEED A CROSS-OVER CABLE TO CONNECT TO MODEM? (and preferbly has 5 wired ports instead of the usual 4?) or if such a thing exists, a cross-over adapter?

many thanks!

PS - damn,, that was longer than i thought :P sorry bout that!!
whiskieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2005, 20:10   #2
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay
Re: Problem with Safecom Router SBRU-10100... and NTL?

Welcome to the forum mate, may your stay be nice and hospitable (oh btw we have lasses here to :o)

First of all factory reset your router, I have no clue on what kind of router it is.. Its also interesting, I have never had to clone a MAC id or provide user information. I beleive NTL provide it to the line not the user.

Also try a firmware update..

Give it some hard work, im sure it wil work..

(im sure someone will geive you better info)
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:05   #3
whiskieman
Inactive

hey! (and sorry lasses!! :P i obviously appreciate ur input too!! lol)

facotry reset doesn't help... been there a dozen times.. :S
that's what i thought.. it sounds stupid that someone wanting to share a connection would have to go through the hassle of cloning mac addresses and all...

anyway.. i'll wait for more ideas

cheers for the quick reply anyway!
Old 20-09-2005, 22:17   #4
zing_deleted

Every router ive tried to set up has just worked no mac whatsit or anything.can all the pcs on the network log onto the router? Also no router ive ever had anything to do with has needed crossover cable,neither do switches only direct connnection

Also cant you take the switch out of the equation and just use the router?

Another option is blow the in house network out and use your modem and Homplug devices you only need 1 lan connection and you can connect all the other pcs via the electric http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm im sure one of the students in the house has a rich father to play for these lol

EDIT sorry reread your post and im a bit lost now.You state each room has its own modem does this mean you would all have to pay or is this included in the rent? if each room has a modem why is there a switch in your room?Im confused
Old 20-09-2005, 22:37   #5
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

whiskieman, did you try the obvious? Switch off (pull the power plugs out) modem and router; then switch on the modem. Wait 'till it stabilises, then switch on the router.

Then either reboot each connected PC or renew the IP address - open a command window, type ipconfig /release <Return> ipconfig /renew <Return>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb

Every router ive tried to set up has just worked no mac whatsit or anything.can all the pcs on the network log onto the router? Also no router ive ever had anything to do with has needed crossover cable,neither do switches only direct connnection

Also cant you take the switch out of the equation and just use the router?

Another option is blow the in house network out and use your modem and Homplug devices you only need 1 lan connection and you can connect all the other pcs via the electric http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm im sure one of the students in the house has a rich father to play for these lol

EDIT sorry reread your post and im a bit lost now.You state each room has its own modem does this mean you would all have to pay or is this included in the rent? if each room has a modem why is there a switch in your room?Im confused
OP says each _flat_ has a modem, zinglebarb!
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:46   #6
whiskieman
Inactive

no... there are 6 modems downstairs.. one for each flat. Each flat has 5 or 6 bedrooms and each bedroom has an ethernet plug on the wall,, next to the electrical plugs.. and don't ask me bout payment... all i know is im using it.. when someone comes knocking on my door asking for money i'll decide what to do... :P
Old 20-09-2005, 22:56   #7
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskieman
no... there are 6 modems downstairs.. one for each flat. Each flat has 5 or 6 bedrooms and each bedroom has an ethernet plug on the wall,, next to the electrical plugs.. and don't ask me bout payment... all i know is im using it.. when someone comes knocking on my door asking for money i'll decide what to do... :P
First thing that needs testing is the integrity of the internal network.Try to connect to the router from each room is gateway ie 192.168.0.* or equivilent you should be able to from each network wall socket

And how bigs the bloody house to have all them rooms