Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Analogue Cable Memories

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Analogue Cable Memories

Old 07-10-2021, 20:30   #106
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

iirc people living in Milton Keynes also were not able to erect television aeriels and had to get their television from a cable service.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2021, 20:56   #107
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
iirc people living in Milton Keynes also were not able to erect television aeriels and had to get their television from a cable service.
Correct - Milton Keynes had a cable system operated originally by the Post Office (later BT) IIRC. For many years planning rules absolutely forbade external aerials of any kind.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 20:33   #108
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

has this now changed?
Old 08-10-2021, 23:18   #109
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It isn’t the case now, and it wasn’t the case by the time digital switchover occurred, so the rules must have been relaxed decades ago now.

I wonder if it had something to do with the famously crud cable network which NTL inherited and was frequently the source of complaints on the original version of this forum.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 20:41   #110
andreww342003
cf.member

Services: BT Youview, Humax Freesat
andreww342003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It isn’t the case now, and it wasn’t the case by the time digital switchover occurred, so the rules must have been relaxed decades ago now.

I wonder if it had something to do with the famously crud cable network which NTL inherited and was frequently the source of complaints on the original version of this forum.
That was the old Videotron network that was part of Cable&Wireless, before it was then acquired by ntl. Back then only a basic digital service was possible, no interactive or on demand so the cable boxes were stuck on an old software verson with internal modems that couldn't be used. It wasn't until around 200 when that network was finally upgraded.
andreww342003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 22:04   #111
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I have a friend who one time told me he had a cable ready TV that went up to 1000..

He scanned all the way up and found music in the 800s (I guess because music is not incrypted he could see it in the clear)

He also said he found a test pattern on 140

Ah man!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 17:31   #112
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww342003 View Post
That was the old Videotron network that was part of Cable&Wireless, before it was then acquired by ntl. Back then only a basic digital service was possible, no interactive or on demand so the cable boxes were stuck on an old software verson with internal modems that couldn't be used. It wasn't until around 200 when that network was finally upgraded.
It did surprise me that cable took so long to launch on demand services. If they had launched them when they launched their digital services it would have given a USP on Sky and onDigital/ITV Digital.
Old 08-11-2021, 14:30   #113
DDDD
cf.member

DDDD is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
@Onramp, thank you! These talkback modules, any idea what they looked like? I don't believe we had one. Also, if a return path was generally not present on analogue, would the company have been able to scan for modified or unscrupulous equipment and how? I looked up the ACC-4000, it's a computer that controlled the boxes right?
Return path was used for retrieving ppv purchases , your STB could normally store 4 events , so if you blocked the return path and bought four events you couldn't buy anymore without them being cleared via the return path.

I used ACC-4000 mainy for sega tv , but I was a Scientific atlanta guy (SM20/HEC) and a cabletime (VAX) guy .

Back then there was no scanning for unscrupulous equipment , but just monitoring for people who might be pumping out frequencies that might have disrupted the return path.
DDDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:06   #114
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I love this thread!!!!

I am so happy I have as much stuff as I do recorded from analogue cable!!! (Looks and sounds much better than the movies official tape usually)

But I do have a couple things recorded from OVER THE AIR!! (They had thier VCR hooked to an OTA antenna) I found them at salvation army

1) ET - 1982

This was recorded from a local channel in my area in 1991 and it is goregous!! (Channel 6)

2) Quick change - 1990

This was recorded from THE SAME CHANNEL in 1996 and is goregous (The official tape of this movie is "Digitally processed" and looks like crap)

Im pretty sure both are OTA because of how much noise is in the video.....

Especially ET ..... I Cant move ET to another tape because the audio drops too much,its not worth it.....

I did Copy QUICK CHANGE to another tape in SP mode (It was SLP) and there is not as much noise..........

Regardless of the noise,I wouldnt have either movie this good otherwise....... (Both audio and video wise)

Last edited by Dude111; 09-11-2021 at 02:10.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:37   #115
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Anyone remember the Viewline cable tv service in parts of Oxford which pre-dated the Ridiffusion network?
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 19:59   #116
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Does anyone remember when cable companies starting just assigning thier digital locations to the analogue tier??

My cable company used to show ALL ANALOGUE ON THE ANALOGUE TIER (Channels 2-80 or whatever) then sometime after 2000 thay just assigned the digital location to the analog # (If Disney channel was assigned to 360 (digital) the same location would be converted to analogue and assigned to 33 also........ (When It was straight from C-band/OTA before)

Some stuff waas gotton RIGHT OUT OHE AIR on my system..... Channel 10 was OFF AIR(Recieved at the cable office via OTA) and one night it was raining and the conditions were just right and when channel 10 went off the air,another channel 10 came skipping in from rochester NY..... Only happend that 1 night,it was interesting..... (I watched the cosby show on it)

And then the same thing happend on channel 17 one night,after the local one went off air I saw channel 17 (WPHL) skipping in.. (They were barely tripping the video filter but they made it)

I have that on tape...... Its snowy and you can barely see it but it IS there.... Im amazed it cleared the video filter the cable company had on most channels... (So when the local channel went off you didnt see anything (A white hash screen))

It was a commerical and then the WPHL TV sign off message......

Thats probably the farthest skip I have seen (Channel 17 being the highest in freq) I dunno where they are (Penn I think) but it was nice seeing them....
Old 09-11-2021, 22:36   #117
DDDD
cf.member

I was actually the guy who switched off the analogue headend in the cable company I worked at , if memory serves me correctly it was a good two years after the launch of digital . We want from rapid STB for channel surfing , clear pictures to over compressed super sluggish pace boxes , bit of a backward step imo , but it was the race to be 'digital' I think now with v6's and 360 boxes and very good compression of HD services 18 years later digital is finally a better experience in some ways over analogue . Channel surfing isn't as quick , picture quality on HD is better , SD's are worse , but we have vod , replay tv , online tv services , now the problem for TV on the whole is broadband using up the RF spectrum.
Old 10-11-2021, 16:04   #118
Rillington
cf.mega poster

when did you do that DDDD?

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I love this thread!!!!

I am so happy I have as much stuff as I do recorded from analogue cable!!! (Looks and sounds much better than the movies official tape usually)

But I do have a couple things recorded from OVER THE AIR!! (They had thier VCR hooked to an OTA antenna) I found them at salvation army

1) ET - 1982

This was recorded from a local channel in my area in 1991 and it is goregous!! (Channel 6)

2) Quick change - 1990

This was recorded from THE SAME CHANNEL in 1996 and is goregous (The official tape of this movie is "Digitally processed" and looks like crap)

Im pretty sure both are OTA because of how much noise is in the video.....

Especially ET ..... I Cant move ET to another tape because the audio drops too much,its not worth it.....

I did Copy QUICK CHANGE to another tape in SP mode (It was SLP) and there is not as much noise..........

Regardless of the noise,I wouldnt have either movie this good otherwise....... (Both audio and video wise)
what channels were they recorded from?
Old 10-11-2021, 17:17   #119
DDDD
cf.member

Im thinking it was around 2005 for the Scientific atlanta headend and 2007 for cabletime , I might be a few years out thought , NTL still had analogue when they merged with telewest which was 2008-2009 .

For telewest tho true analogue was gone around 2001 as the analogue services where derived from the digital headend and then converted/descrambled back to analogue and then modulated which went out to customers. As a lot of the analogue satellite transponders started disappearing and transponders with digital services started appearing in there places.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:06   #120
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington
what channels were they recorded from?
Both were recorded from the same channel: Channel 6 (A CBS station)