Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 23-02-2024, 20:21   #2506
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
"Ofgem has also announced today that it's going to permanently reduce standing charges for prepayment meter customers.

However, standing charges for direct debit customers and those who pay on receipt of bill will rise.

Ofgem has also introduced a temporary additional payment of £28 a year to cover the cost of customers who fall behind on bills. Prepayment meter customers won't be affected by this extra charge."

So those who fully pay will have to pay more to cover those who don't. Despite them receiving large sums of government money to help them?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...EJ4Ka2nhUfYLD0
This makes my blood boil!
Old 23-02-2024, 20:33   #2507
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

So basically everyone should switch to Pre-Payment, what a Joke.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 20:40   #2508
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Here's a novel idea. Everyone pay the same rate, forget which company you're with, which region you're in, which meter you have.
Seems fair.
Utilities aren't a luxury product.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 20:49   #2509
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Thank you for shafting me for being a good customer and paying my bill on time Ofgem.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 20:50   #2510
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Here's a novel idea. Everyone pay the same rate, forget which company you're with, which region you're in, which meter you have.
Seems fair.
Utilities aren't a luxury product.
What is and isn't a luxury product is subjective. A homeless bloke would like it was whereas many take it forgranted
Old 23-02-2024, 20:55   #2511
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
So basically everyone should switch to Pre-Payment, what a Joke.
Maybe that's what they want.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 09:14   #2512
FamousBeetle
cf.member

FamousBeetle is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it a good idea to fix my price for the next 12 months? I have a feeling prices will go down this year so I am not sure if I should fix them.
FamousBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 09:28   #2513
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBeetle View Post
Is it a good idea to fix my price for the next 12 months? I have a feeling prices will go down this year so I am not sure if I should fix them.
I'm no expert or qualified to give financial advice, but I'm not planning to fix ours.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 09:51   #2514
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Thank you for shafting me for being a good customer and paying my bill on time Ofgem.
That was my exact reaction. It's inherently unfair that those of us who pay our bills in full and on time end up being penalised by having to pay even more. But don't all businesses do this? Despite them making hundreds of millions of pounds of profit every year, supermarkets will factor in the costs of items that are shoplifted, perished before sale etc when setting their prices/mark-up. The difference is the supermarkets are free to add as much onto the prices of items to cover this as they like. There's no regulator limiting how much they can charge, or even telling us that it happens. Some of the food inflation that we've seen in recent years will no doubt be down to increased theft during the cost of living crisis.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:19   #2515
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Just took the loyal Octopus Fixed 12 months. No exit fee and almost £20 cheaper per month. If better next month I switch again. Taking 1 day to switch
Old 01-03-2024, 14:44   #2516
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Waiting to see what fixed OVO do.

Their last one was withdrawn after the latest cap was announced, its prices were basically the same as the new cap.

Not sure if British Gas are still offering theirs, it looked pretty good, and less than the new cap.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 15:00   #2517
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Just took the loyal Octopus Fixed 12 months. No exit fee and almost £20 cheaper per month. If better next month I switch again. Taking 1 day to switch
Interesting that they have ditched the £75 fee.

I'm still waiting on the list for a smart meter.
Old 01-03-2024, 16:55   #2518
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

1st April OFGEM ditch the Market Stabilisation which forced compensation from switch provider to existing supplier. So we may see new deals on the horizon. Although OFGEM have said they are extending the ban on acquisition-tariffs
Old 04-03-2024, 13:13   #2519
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Gas prices: SSE to reduce prices by 22.8% from April (Northern Ireland)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-68444511

Quote:
Northern Ireland's largest provider of natural gas, SSE, is cut to its prices by 22.8% from April.

SSE says a typical household customer will save £320.47 a year as a result.
Wholesale natural gas prices have fallen sharply since they peaked after Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 - those price falls are now starting to feed through to consumer prices.

NI's largest electricity supplier Power NI is also to cut prices.

They will drop by 6.3% (2p per unit) from the start of April.

The company said the move reflected a fall in wholesale market costs and would save the average household customer £64 per year.

Other electricity suppliers have also been cutting prices as wholesale costs fall from record levels.

Power NI's prices are regulated by the NI Utility Regulator.

Power NI customer solutions director William Steele said: "As wholesale prices in the global market have fallen, Power NI has been able to deliver yet another decrease in unit prices for our customers, with our fourth consecutive tariff reduction."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 13:30   #2520
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

There will be fixed deals across the board I believe. Comparison sites will be back up and running with Energy.