Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Amazon and Visa credit cards

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Amazon and Visa credit cards

Old 17-11-2021, 21:51   #31
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Amazon and Visa credit cards

So the fact that both companies couldn’t raise their fees before, but now can (and have) raised their fees, is irrelevant?

If they couldn’t have raised their fees, this dispute (probably) wouldn’t be happening…

From sky news

https://news.sky.com/story/amazon-to...cards-12470641
Quote:
It is understood Amazon is particularly angry at a rise in so-called interchange fees - additional cross-border costs - which it believes have risen five-fold since Brexit.

Such fees, payable by Amazon itself or merchants on its platform, would erode margins and raise prices if passed on.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 17-11-2021 at 21:55.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2021, 22:01   #32
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So the fact that both companies couldn’t raise their fees before, but now can (and have) raised their fees, is irrelevant?

If they couldn’t have raised their fees, this dispute (probably) wouldn’t be happening…

From sky news

https://news.sky.com/story/amazon-to...cards-12470641
Yet they state that their dispute is over domestic fees, not the cross-border interchange fees that were regulated by the EU.

I’m guessing you might have missed the subtly different attribution of sources in the BBC and Sky articles: the BBC attributes its “this is not about Brexit” directly to Amazon and Visa. The Sky article uses the somewhat weasely “it is understood” which is not attributed to anyone on the record at all.

Given that the Sky article was posted at 4pm and the BBC article followed two hours later, it’s highly likely - actually an absolute certainty, given the unequivocal nature of the statement - that the BBC reporter has directly asked both Amazon and Visa to clarify that point. That unequivocal denial that Brexit is responsible, following on from unattributed speculation that it might be, really ought to settle the matter.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 23:06   #33
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And yet both Amazon and Visa have said Brexit isn’t the issue, and nothing you have posted here shows that it is.

Perhaps the following two paragraphs of the BBC article will clarify:

So, again, I’m not blaming Brexit because both parties in the dispute say they aren’t doing so; because the dispute is over domestic transaction charges within the UK and nothing to do with cross-border interchange fees; and because Mastercard is not involved in the dispute. Both have raised interchange rates yet only Visa is in view here (again, because the stated dispute is over domestic charges).

Though I suspect those with an ideological need to blame Brexit for everything will likely continue to do so regardless of the evidence.
Oh dear, you really think the BBC will give an impartial perspective? Here are a few more for you:

https://www.reuters.com/business/ret...ws-2021-11-17/

Quote:
Since Brexit, an EU-enforced cap on fees charged by card issuers is no longer in place in the UK.
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-11-17/...s-from-january

Quote:
Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis said Brexit was behind the decision, with Visa hiking up its fees as the EU cap no longer applies.
He added that "it's a possible negotiating tactic for Amazon to gets its fees reduced".
https://fortune.com/2021/11/17/amazo...s-fee-dispute/

Quote:
Visa, which raised one type of credit card transaction fee fivefold earlier this year—thanks to Brexit removing restrictions on it doing so—said it was "very disappointed" at what it characterized as a threat from Amazon to "restrict consumer choice," adding that it continued to "work toward a resolution" with Amazon.
You are desperate to believe that reality is not what is seems. Sorry to break the bad news.
Old 17-11-2021, 23:15   #34
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Agreed. I am blaming Visa not Amazon.
Exactly, and neither is it "Brexit".
Just becasue that means they can, doesnt mean they must, its still a Visa decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I got the Amazon Mastercard for the points so I am sorted
As do I - I've had one for quite a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Do you only get points for using it on Amazon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
No you get 3 points for every £2 on amazon and 1.5 points elsewhere
Not exactly.

You get 3 points per £2 spent on Amazon if you have Prime.
You get 1.5 points per £2 spent on Amazon if you dont have Prime.
You get 0.5 points per £2 when you use it elsewhere.

You get a £10 voucher credited to your amazon account for every 1000 points.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 23:16   #35
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Oh dear, you really think the BBC will give an impartial perspective? Here are a few more for you:

https://www.reuters.com/business/ret...ws-2021-11-17/

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-11-17/...s-from-january

https://fortune.com/2021/11/17/amazo...s-fee-dispute/

You are desperate to believe that reality is not what is seems. Sorry to break the bad news.
Opening your comments by dismissing a BBC report as biased as if such a thing is a given hardly makes you sound credible. Nor is your continuing to conflate two completely different sorts of charge, despite them being set out in black and white. As I said …. those who need to believe Brexit’s to blame will continue to do so despite the evidence. Though I have to admit even I’m surprised by the level of wilful blindness on show here.
Old 17-11-2021, 23:17   #36
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Just becasue that means they can, doesnt mean they must, its still a Visa decision.

Not exactly.

I wonder if this pays more than a Tesco CC.
Old 17-11-2021, 23:29   #37
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Looking at their site ;

You get one extra point per £4 for spending in Tesco & 1 point per £8 elsewhere.
Thats 0.5 points per £2 instore, and 0.25 per £2 elsewhere.

In the case of both Amazon & Tesco, 1 point is worth 1p
So basically, the Amazon rewards for using their card appear to be worth double (or more) those of Tesco.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 23:38   #38
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I'm probably better off keeping my Tesco CC which pays for my RAC cover in their deals but I will look into it more.
Old 17-11-2021, 23:49   #39
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

The amazon card is worth having just to get the Gift Card bonus for signing up. Catch it right and it is £40 then you can catch vouchers for adding it as default payment (you can change back after if you want) then you wait till there is a voucher to use Mastercard the first time if you have just used visa or visa debit before. Had all that free money hahahaha
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 08:38   #40
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Opening your comments by dismissing a BBC report as biased as if such a thing is a given hardly makes you sound credible. Nor is your continuing to conflate two completely different sorts of charge, despite them being set out in black and white. As I said …. those who need to believe Brexit’s to blame will continue to do so despite the evidence. Though I have to admit even I’m surprised by the level of wilful blindness on show here.
If you think that the BBC is reporting Brexit accurately then you need to look again.

Martin Lewis says:

Quote:
Amazon to stop allowing people to use Visa credit cards from Jan (Visa debit, mastecard & amex still fine)

It's because Visa is increasing transaction rates now the EU cap no longer applies (post Brexit).

It's a possible negotiating tactic for Amazon to gets its fees reduced.
Here's the tricky decision: do we believe Martin Lewis or Chris from CF?

As this trainwreck gets worse, and it will, your highly entertaining attempts to deny reality will get more tortuous.
Old 18-11-2021, 08:43   #41
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
If you think that the BBC is reporting Brexit accurately then you need to look again.

Martin Lewis says:

Here's the tricky decision: do we believe Martin Lewis or Chris from CF?

As this trainwreck gets worse, and it will, your highly entertaining attempts to deny reality will get more tortuous.
Wrong. Do we believe Martin Lewis speculating, or a BBC reporter who has asked both parties directly and received a consistent answer from both?

It’s simple really.
Old 18-11-2021, 08:54   #42
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Martin Lewis definitely

The BBC are totally untrustworthy biased and as bad as the Daily Mail.

Both Amazon and Visa will spin also and tbh it would not really be a surprise if Amazon was doing it to try and get a better deal
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 12:05   #43
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Not exactly.

It adds up quite a lot, I get vouchers credited most months with buying more online, all for just buying what you'd normally do.

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

Quote:
Wrong. Do we believe Martin Lewis speculating, or a BBC reporter who has asked both parties directly and received a consistent answer from both?

It’s simple really.
Well, who knows really?

To be honest I wouldn't trust any of them. If Visa is taking advantage of a cap on fees which doesn't apply now the UK is no longer an EU member, and is increasing the fees past this amount, then that is an effect of Brexit whether direct or not as without Brexit they wouldn't have been able to increase the fees to that amount.

Whether Amazon then decided to call out Visa for their fees (I think MC have done the same thing though...) and block the cards isn't anything to do with Brexit, even though Brexit might have caused the increase in fees to begin with.

The BBC reporter may have been in full knowledge of the underlying picture but might have been under orders not to blame too much on Brexit or Covid due to the recent things which have reported as such and causes mass panic, for example, and Martin Lewis might just be basically making an educated guess. We don't know who actually knows what or who has been told what they should or shouldn't be saying.

I do - thinking about this a bit more - wonder if this is just a subtle method to push their own card (which I've had for years and is definitely worth having) by basically saying, we're stopping VC, but you can sign up for our MC here...

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 12:06   #44
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Since the EU cap on domestic card transactions in the UK of 0.2%/0.3% has remained in place post Brexit how can the dispute be a Brexit issue?

Quote:
Transactions which take place solely within the UK, where the point of sale (‘merchant’), acquirer and card issuer are all within the UK, are covered by the onshored IFR (‘UK IFR’) and subject to the interchange fee caps as before.
LINK

It's also worth noting that both Visa and Mastercard have increased their Interchange fees to the same levels on UK customers buying from the EEA.

However only Visa have introduced the same fees for EU cards buying from UK outlets.

LINK

It appears therefore that Amazon are baulking at Visa increasing their domestic fees from a previous discounted level to higher one that still must be less than the cap.

This is a business decision by Visa which they will have to seriously reconsider I suspect.

There is no love lost between Amazon and Visa with Amazon imposing a customer surcharge on Visa transactions in both Australia and Singapore.

Amazon are also reconsidering their partnership with Visa on their in-house credit card in America.
Old 18-11-2021, 14:49   #45
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Since the EU cap on domestic card transactions in the UK of 0.2%/0.3% has remained in place post Brexit how can the dispute be a Brexit issue?
Because when you buy from Amazon UK you are actually paying a company in Luxembourg.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote