Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New BBC Red Button Bridge Interface

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New BBC Red Button Bridge Interface

Old 10-11-2021, 17:23   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
New BBC Red Button Bridge Interface

Just discovered a new BBC Red Button Bridge interface has launched on my V6 box.

Press Red and you get an area on the right hand side of the screen, the top is DVD-box shape for a featured boxset with a mini carousel-esque effect that spins to two more featured boxsets if you press right.

Below this are the following options one above the other:
Restart, iPlayer, Sounds

I've not tried it, but I assume the first of these is Live Restart of the current show.

It's very swish.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2021, 17:36   #2
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New BBC Red Button Bridge Inferface

Looks neat
It’s on the 360 box as well
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 21:09   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Tried "Restart" during Reporting Scotland on BBC1 Scotland and it played This Is BBC Scotland from the BBC Scotland channel instead.

The Featured area is flexible in the number of Featured items. I tried just now and it had a 4th Tile for a Live event in position 1 (Wheelchair rugby if you were wondering).

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

The Live Restart isn't working correctly, here at least. I just tried it again during The One Show and it did so for the show currently on BBC Scotland channel rather than BBC1 Scotland again.

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Oddly I just got this when I tried to resume a show in BBC Sounds.

BBC Connected Bridge - BBC One Scot HD is currently unavailable. (A01) Please reboot and try again in a few minutes.

Blah..blah.. Error Code (A01).

What this has to do with the new bridge, as I was already in the app as this point, isn't obvious.

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

It didn't say Blah Blah, I just couldn't be bothered typing the lengthy padding in the middle of the message.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

I tried again without rebooting, tried a live stream in BBC Sounds instead and...it stalled the box.

I got the impression it was having an internet connection problem both times, but the box had a working connection up to that point and my net is working elsewhere.

Looks like something about accessing via the bridge is messing something up. I may try later, but not now as I have multiple things recording. I've already missed the start of one recording (edit: make that 3!) as I had to switch it off at the wall.

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

I risked going to the BBC Sounds app directly from the Apps & Games menu, thereby bypassing the new bridge, upon the box booting up and tried the same live stream and it's been working fine.

I just now tried to access it again via the new bridge...and it still doesn't work. It acted like it was, then played no sound. Eventually it went straight back to the live TV channel that was on behind the app.

Something about the new bridge layer needs fixed. Going directly in via Apps & Games again it didn't work and crashed the box, and it rebooted itself this time.

I didn't have an issue with iPlayer playing content earlier via the new bridge, so it's just BBC Sounds it has problems with.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 10-11-2021 at 21:13.
Old 16-11-2021, 11:31   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

I'd been trying every day until Saturday to see if the BBC Sounds stall/crash bug had been fixed. I didn't try Sunday since there aren't likely to be "new builds" then.

Didn't work yesterday morning, but checked just now and my V6 has a Monday afternoon build of the App and *drumroll* IT WORKS!

I've literally just found this working, so hopefully there aren't any further bugs.

I am under the impression the previous problems were a memory leak triggered if you launched BBC Sounds via the New Red Button Bridge. Because if you launched the app via the Apps & Games menu, the App worked apparently fine. Though it didn't if you launched it that way after having tried via the New Bridge.

It just occurred to me I should check if the Restart function is working, it was doing BBC Scotland channel rather than BBC1 Scotland. I'll be back momentarily...

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

Well that's disappointing.

So, current New BBC Red Button Bridge status for me.
- BBC Sounds TV app now launches and works from New Bridge
- Restart still Live Restarts BBC Scotland channel rather than BBC1 Scotland

Note: The above is on V6 box and in Scotland. The New Bridge Interface may perform the Restart function correctly in other regions of the UK and/or on a TV360 box.
Old 17-11-2021, 01:46   #5
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
- Restart still Live Restarts BBC Scotland channel rather than BBC1 Scotland

Note: The above is on V6 box and in Scotland. The New Bridge Interface may perform the Restart function correctly in other regions of the UK and/or on a TV360 box.
I wonder if the fault is in Virgin's code or in the BBC's.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 10:47   #6
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
I wonder if the fault is in Virgin's code or in the BBC's.
I've yet hear whether the New Bridge has been launched on any other TV platforms that have BBC's Connected Red Button, and aside from knowing it's on TV360 I can only say the problems have been mine, on a V6.

There could be problems outside VM's platform. And outside their own hardware, I've never been under the impression that VM (or subsidiaries) code anything App-wise, any Apps are coded by the Broadcasters or companies the Broadcasters work outsource to.
Old 17-11-2021, 19:01   #7
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

What I mean is that the app will interface with the BBC's iPlayer platform and that the incorrect selection of BBC Scotland could possibly be a script in the iPlayer code. It wouldn't be the first time the BBC had messed up interactive code. Have you tried the restart function for BBC 1 Scotland on a different platform?
Old 17-11-2021, 19:09   #8
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

It works okay here in Belfast on a V6. BBC 1 restarted current programme.
Old 17-11-2021, 19:52   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
What I mean is that the app will interface with the BBC's iPlayer platform and that the incorrect selection of BBC Scotland could possibly be a script in the iPlayer code. It wouldn't be the first time the BBC had messed up interactive code. Have you tried the restart function for BBC 1 Scotland on a different platform?
I've only got access to one platform that has it so I can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
It works okay here in Belfast on a V6. BBC 1 restarted current programme.
Glad to hear it.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

It occurred to me I've not tried Restart on other BBC channels, it may well be it is only BBC1 Scotland/BBC Scotland that the problem occurs.

Surprised I only just realised.
Old 17-11-2021, 20:08   #10
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
I've only got access to one platform that has it so I can't.

Glad to hear it.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

It occurred to me I've not tried Restart on other BBC channels, it may well be it is only BBC1 Scotland/BBC Scotland that the problem occurs.

Surprised I only just realised.
I tried restart on multiple devices / platforms during Look North and got BBC One London. So yeah, that was fun. Not exactly what I was expecting but it's not a feature I usually use.

In theory, the region should be linked to that set in your BBC account settings.... but is it?
Old 17-11-2021, 20:16   #11
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I tried restart on multiple devices / platforms during Look North and got BBC One London. So yeah, that was fun. Not exactly what I was expecting but it's not a feature I usually use.

In theory, the region should be linked to that set in your BBC account settings.... but is it?
I managed to get an error message that mentioned Scotland one time (it's in an earlier lost). It had names that correlated with VM channel name formatting, so I'd have thought it doesn't look at iPlayer account settings, just broadcast channels. My VM regions are allocated by my postcode with VM I'd have thought.

There are several logged in on this device, so I'm not 100% what they are set to specifically.
Old 17-11-2021, 20:22   #12
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
I managed to get an error message that mentioned Scotland one time (it's in an earlier lost). It had names that correlated with VM channel name formatting, so I'd have thought it doesn't look at iPlayer account settings, just broadcast channels. My VM regions are allocated by my postcode with VM I'd have thought.

There are several logged in on this device, so I'm not 100% what they are set to specifically.
Look in the iPlayer settings.
Old 17-11-2021, 20:57   #13
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Look in the iPlayer settings.
I meant I hadn't commited how the various accounts were set up to memory.
Old 17-11-2021, 22:21   #14
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
I meant I hadn't commited how the various accounts were set up to memory.
I noticed that iPlayer on Freeview Play was seriously messed up when I checked. The BBC One live stream kept switching out to a delayed version from earlier in the day, my region had been reset to London and it wasn't using the beta version. I switched it back to beta and the correct region but BBC One live was still glitching. I removed the account and set it up again, which seems to have fixed it. Hopefully. I've not noticed these bugs before but it's handy to know that removing the account and setting it up again had some effect.
Old 18-11-2021, 00:45   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I noticed that iPlayer on Freeview Play was seriously messed up when I checked. The BBC One live stream kept switching out to a delayed version from earlier in the day, my region had been reset to London and it wasn't using the beta version. I switched it back to beta and the correct region but BBC One live was still glitching. I removed the account and set it up again, which seems to have fixed it. Hopefully. I've not noticed these bugs before but it's handy to know that removing the account and setting it up again had some effect.
Interesting. Appreciate the testing and report. Thank you.