Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gig1 with Hub 4 topping out at 645 Mbps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Gig1 with Hub 4 topping out at 645 Mbps

Old 05-11-2021, 01:17   #16
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice
Re: Gig1 with Hub 4 topping out at 645 Mbps

Yeah, I was on M500 before getting the free VMO2 Volt upgrade to Gig1. Like you I had a constantly speedy 545 mbps.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2021, 04:27   #17
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Have you run in modem mode, and connected directly to the modem, to test ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:47   #18
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If you're in router mode you just need go to www.samknows.com/realspeed from a connected device and see what that says. Don't need the account creation.
That's exactly what I would do. Samknows/realspeed will tell you exactly what down speed your connection is achieving via your hub regardless of your third-party devices or ethernet cable quality/grade.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:01   #19
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

On non-Apple I'd try different browsers. On one PC - wired - speed on Firefox can be half that on Chrome. On another speed is same on both (using same wire) and at the Chrome level. There seems to be lots of things that can affect speed test readings.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:15   #20
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Which is why the Realspeed site is always the thing I'd do before putting the Hub into modem mode

As it uses the SamKnows client in the Hub 4 to run the test to the Hub, it doesn't matter how you trigger it.

The additional speedtest to your device as part of Realspeed could still be dependent on any browser limitations.
Old 05-11-2021, 17:44   #21
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Did we actually get speedtest results?
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 18:49   #22
Andy C
cf.addict

Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

Says it all. Looks like the problem is with my network and/or devices…

Old 05-11-2021, 19:00   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Thought that would be the case. Are your wired devices directly connected to the shub or are you using your own 3rd party (Apple) router which is connected to the shub?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 19:28   #24
Andy C
cf.addict

I use my own router, the Netgear Nighthawk R7800 (AC2600) with the Hub 4 in Modem Mode.

I’m not sure about directly wired to the Hub 4, but WiFi speeds are identical whether from the hub (in Router mode) or the Netgear.
Old 05-11-2021, 22:19   #25
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
I use my own router, the Netgear Nighthawk R7800 (AC2600) with the Hub 4 in Modem Mode.

I’m not sure about directly wired to the Hub 4, but WiFi speeds are identical whether from the hub (in Router mode) or the Netgear.
This router will struggle to hit 1Gbps WAN to LAN, especially with features such as QoS, any kind of filtering/blocking, parental controls, etc on. Turn everything off, and you'll get a bit more, but if you want 1Gbps you need to change router.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...owall=&start=1

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/76...iew/index.html

Also, wireless is really going to struggle to hit 1Gbps, even 802.11ax.

If you currently want a router that can route at 1Gbps without spending much money, you can't go wrong with the UDR.

https://dongknows.com/ubiquitis-wi-f...r-udr-is-here/

Last edited by rtho782; 05-11-2021 at 22:23.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 22:39   #26
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post

I apologise if you have already said this, but what grade of Ethernet cable or patch cables are you using in your network? You need at least CAT5e to support Gb speeds. You might check the capacity of any switches you have in the system too.

You might also check that your device network adaptors are configured to receive 1Gbs. In a PC that would be ensuring that TCP/IP is configured to Full Duplex 1Gbs, rather than automatic. I don't know MACs, so can't comment on them.

I agree with rtho782 regarding QoS. This is only really needed if you are sharing limited bandwidth between a number of devices, such as gaming systems. With 1GBs you need to turn QoS off, or it will peg your speed back to 500Mb or less.

You need to check if your router WAN/LAN throughput is sufficient to manage 1GBs. Smallnet builder stopped reviewing routers a couple of years ago. Maybe yours is listed. If so, its throughput will be listed. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tool...2lan_thrupt/44

Last edited by roughbeast; 05-11-2021 at 22:54.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 23:49   #27
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Wireless ac will top out at around 640 on 80hz in my experience

The router is good for 940mbit throughput on WAN to LAN. Would use voxels firmware ��
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:49   #28
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

940mbits is the max burst speed, realistically I think you are looking more around 765mbits sustained/average

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 16:52   #29
Andy C
cf.addict

Yes, my current router is fairly old. Due to the amount of devices, computers, tablets, phones, home automation kit and so on, I have been looking at the following router… Hopefully this might increase the Wi-Fi rates…

NETGEAR Nighthawk Tri-band AX8
Old 06-11-2021, 17:52   #30
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
940mbits is the max burst speed, realistically I think you are looking more around 765mbits sustained/average

I've managed to get speeds in the 900's pretty consistently on the the samknows speedtest via ethernet. I am running voxels firmware, which is optimised somewhat:

Latency
17.7 ms

Jitter
1.74 ms

Download
917 Mbps

Upload
53.5 Mbps

Wireless though, not a chance! I'm not sure many devices really support wifi 6 either, so not rushed to upgrade router yet.

Last edited by Gobble; 06-11-2021 at 18:07.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote