Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Various channels went off air tonight on multiple platforms

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Various channels went off air tonight on multiple platforms

Old 25-09-2021, 23:22   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Various channels went off air tonight on multiple platforms

Various channels went off air tonight on multiple TV platforms for varying amounts of time. Affected the likes of Channel 4, More 4, Channel 5, S4C and others apparently.

C4 HD was definitely affected on Virgin Media as my recording of Bettany Hughes' Treasures of the World recorded a static screen for much of it. I'm watching it on VM Catch-up as I type this as a result.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58694894
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2021, 23:29   #2
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Various channels went off air tonight on multiple platforms

London was on Fire

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/channel-4-...entre-incident
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 23:30   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Apparently the fire was at Red Bee Media according to this article. There's more details about how it affected various platforms rather than the rather unspecific BBC article.
https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/9502...t-tv-services/
Old 26-09-2021, 01:02   #4
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Reducing the number of playout centres and centralising everything has, no doubt, saved a lot of money. Although at the expense of quite a few jobs. Situations such as this expose the weaknesses of the broadcast chain. Concentrating resources in known locations such as White City & Media City also put the infrastructure at risk to terrorist attacks. Weaknesses in the system can be devastating for viewers as the loss of the mast at Bilsdale West Moor has demonstrated.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 01:09   #5
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Wow I was gonna say maybe a sat went offline or something.......
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 02:24   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Reducing the number of playout centres and centralising everything has, no doubt, saved a lot of money. Although at the expense of quite a few jobs. Situations such as this expose the weaknesses of the broadcast chain. Concentrating resources in known locations such as White City & Media City also put the infrastructure at risk to terrorist attacks. Weaknesses in the system can be devastating for viewers as the loss of the mast at Bilsdale West Moor has demonstrated.
So much for terrestial TV. Were streaming services or sat tv affected ?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 04:00   #7
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Anything played out from Red Bee's centre at White City, regardless of the end platform. Some Freeview services took longer to be restored as some of the Freeview distribution is handled at White City. Some channels are currently using backup playout. The Channel 5 family of channels will have a black / white square in the top right corner indicating backup facilities are in use.

---------- Post added at 04:00 ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 ----------

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/investigat...frozen-screens
Old 26-09-2021, 09:30   #8
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Cable and Satellite and Streaming versions of the linear broadcast channels were all affected too, they all run through same playout centre, though Cable and Satellite were restored quicker as there wasn't the same regional system complexities as DTT. As I said in the first post, my recording on my V6 from C4HD didn't record anything of the show I was trying to record, an it was an hour in length.

Apparently Streaming of the linear broadcast channels were bottom of the queue to get restored according to reports I read late last night.

It didn't affect all of terrestrial, just those that use Red Bee Media for playout. The BBC's systems apparently switched immediately to Salford so viewers didn't notice except for the continuity elements of their regional channels.

The whole thing seems to have occurred around about 6.30pm. Though the place I read it wasn't exactly convincing, so maybe I'll find a more accurate account this morning.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 26-09-2021 at 09:35.
Old 26-09-2021, 10:00   #9
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Cable and Satellite and Streaming versions of the linear broadcast channels were all affected too, they all run through same playout centre, though Cable and Satellite were restored quicker as there wasn't the same regional system complexities as DTT. As I said in the first post, my recording on my V6 from C4HD didn't record anything of the show I was trying to record, an it was an hour in length.

Apparently Streaming of the linear broadcast channels were bottom of the queue to get restored according to reports I read late last night.

It didn't affect all of terrestrial, just those that use Red Bee Media for playout. The BBC's systems apparently switched immediately to Salford so viewers didn't notice except for the continuity elements of their regional channels.

The whole thing seems to have occurred around about 6.30pm. Though the place I read it wasn't exactly convincing, so maybe I'll find a more accurate account this morning.
Only the Red Bee playout from White City. A BBC news report incorrectly stated that ITV channels were also affected but ITV use the old Technicolor playout facilities in Chiswick and Leeds. Red Bee and the former Technicolor facilities are both part of Ericsson. As you say, streaming services were at the back of the queue. Red Bee also manages the streaming services for Channel 4 and Channel 5.

BT Sport also plays out of White City but BTS 1 & 2 were live at the time of the outage so managed continuity from their own facilities. BTS 3 was affected by the outage.

The location of the C&M centres for Freeview is supposed to be secret but, following this incident, it's fairly obvious where D3&4's C&M is located.

The broadcasters seem to be keeping a lot of their eggs in one basket.

Last edited by epsilon; 26-09-2021 at 10:14.
Old 26-09-2021, 10:58   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The location of the C&M centres for Freeview is supposed to be secret but, following this incident, it's fairly obvious where D3&4's C&M is located.

The broadcasters seem to be keeping a lot of their eggs in one basket.
I have a vague recollection of reading the C&M centres for Freeview have changed recently as part of the preparation so they can implement regional HD for BBC and ITV on DTT.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

---------

Red Bee are investigating and not going to comment until all services are restored to normal and their investigation is concluded.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/investigat...frozen-screens
Old 26-09-2021, 10:59   #11
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
I have a vague recollection of reading the C&M centres for Freeview have changed recently as part of the preparation so they can implement regional HD for BBC and ITV on DTT.
That will be the BBC B C&M's I guess. Individual multiplex operators will have their own arrangements.
Old 26-09-2021, 11:36   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That will be the BBC B C&M's I guess. Individual multiplex operators will have their own arrangements.
One of the posters on Digital Spy said both BBC and ITV had changed, but that they had both implemented C&M at different points in the distribution chain.

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

a516digital on Twitter has said UKTV must be relieved as they'd just changed their playout and distribution from Red Bee to SES recently. Too right!

Can't say I was aware of this deal.
https://www.ses.com/ses-signs-bbc-st...video-channels
Old 26-09-2021, 11:47   #13
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
One of the posters on Digital Spy said both BBC and ITV had changed, but that they had both implemented C&M at different points in the distribution chain.
As far as I know, D3&4 C&M is centralised rather than regional. The BBC and the commercial PSB's will have to pool resources and share the BBC B multiplex for their HD channels.

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

Quote:
a516digital on Twitter has said UKTV must be relieved as they'd just changed their playout and distribution from Red Bee to SES recently. Too right!

Can't say I was aware of this deal.
https://www.ses.com/ses-signs-bbc-st...video-channels
There goes Ericsson's monopoly.

Although Sky handle their own playout, so it wasn't really a monopoly.

As Red Bee also handle playout of GB News it's amazing that this channel, so famous for technical problems, seems to have escaped this one.
Old 26-09-2021, 12:04   #14
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Various channels went off air tonight on multiple TV platforms for varying amounts of time. Affected the likes of Channel 4, More 4, Channel 5, S4C and others apparently.

C4 HD was definitely affected on Virgin Media as my recording of Bettany Hughes' Treasures of the World recorded a static screen for much of it. I'm watching it on VM Catch-up as I type this as a result.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58694894
Had S4C on from 7 till about 9pm didn't notice anything,if that was in the time frame
Old 26-09-2021, 12:20   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Had S4C on from 7 till about 9pm didn't notice anything,if that was in the time frame
S4C's problems last night were mostly limited to Freeview because it's distributed via Channel4 opt out. S4C was broadcasting E4 output on Freeview at one point I read, which makes sense as that is the only difference on the D3&4 Multiplex in Wales compared to rest of UK.