Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Smart Meter Con

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The Smart Meter Con

Old 22-11-2021, 03:43   #106
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: The Smart Meter Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Didn't realise everybody didn't have them . Our smart gas and leccy meters were installed on the same day.
My electric and gas meters are good old fashioned meters, both were installed some 30+ years ago.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2021, 04:02   #107
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quite excellent Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss
As far as I am concerned that is all spin trying to blag the public
Yes which is why we need to keep the resistance high!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss
wasn't there a conspiracy theory that they give up some dodgy rays that melt your brain or something equally as stupid as still running windows 98??
I love Win98se Jay
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 09:38   #108
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Dual-band systems should sort that out.
So 30% of homes aren't serviceable with those meters? They must have known that at the time they were installed, yet they went ahead. And now we all need new ones? Ker-ching! (for somebody)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 10:04   #109
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Since smart meter has added 30% to our electricity bills I can't say I'm enamoured by them.
Old 22-11-2021, 18:38   #110
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Since smart meter has added 30% to our electricity bills I can't say I'm enamoured by them.
Got as smart meter only deal. Still has a year to run . Dread to think what it will go up too next year
Old 22-11-2021, 21:23   #111
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
It's helping you go green by emptying your pockets.
Old 23-11-2021, 05:18   #112
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh
Exactly...... They are so the power companies get MORE $$$$$$ they arent to help you!! (Its sad ppl believe the lies)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 19:31   #113
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Exactly...... They are so the power companies get MORE $$$$$$ they arent to help you!! (Its sad ppl believe the lies)
Can't really understand why anyone thinks companies are created to HELP them . Shock news , Sorry but this a fact They're created to make money , not make you or I happy .
Old 23-11-2021, 20:01   #114
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Can't really understand why anyone thinks companies are created to HELP them . Shock news , Sorry but this a fact They're created to make money , not make you or I happy .
Spot on

No matter how any introductory offers, discounts, fluffy toys or free pens, the aim of them all is to relieve you of money
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 19:48   #115
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Spot on

No matter how any introductory offers, discounts, fluffy toys or free pens, the aim of them all is to relieve you of money
Yes and mine ( well my family's) does that very well and has done so since at least the 1880,s Not that anyone here ( UK) would be contributing to that, well at least not these days .sold up a few years ago (UK)
Old 07-10-2022, 23:49   #116
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
My electric and gas meters are good old fashioned meters, both were installed some 30+ years ago.
Seems someone has finally noticed.

Quote:
Hi Paul,

Our records show that your electricity meter has come to the end of its working life, so we need to replace it.

To make sure your meters are safe and accurate, they must be exchanged after a set period of time, free of charge.
This is part of The Electric Act legislation. Our Help Centre has more information.

We’d like to upgrade your meters to smart meters
We install the latest generation (SMETS2) smart meters for our members. They send automatic meter readings, so you’ll get accurate bills based on your actual usage.
This type of meter will stay smart, even if you switch supplier in the future. If you have a gas meter, we’ll upgrade it at the same time as your electricity meter.

Let us know if you’d prefer a traditional meter
If you’d rather not get a smart meter installed, give us a call on 0300 303 0635 to let us know.
They last bit is irritating, I already told them (last year) that I dont want a smart meter.

I know mine is aging, and its almost ready to loop around again (from 99999 > 00000) which Im sure will cause issues, but I'm not in any hurry to swap it yet.

I'll just ignore this for now I think and see what happens.
Another company tried this a few years ago, even sent me a letter with a proposed install date, which I ignored. No one ever turned up.

Old 07-10-2022, 23:57   #117
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I would be tempted to jump on the opportunity to have the traditional meter installed. Anything to avoid a smart meter
Old 08-10-2022, 00:10   #118
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Hi Paul,

Our records show that your electricity meter has come to the end of its working life, so we need to replace it.

To make sure your meters are safe and accurate, they must be exchanged after a set period of time, free of charge.

This is part of The Electric Act legislation. Our Help Centre has more information.....
I've been through Schedule 7 of The Electricity Act (as amended 2015), which deals with meters.

There is no stipulation that a meter must be exchanged after a set period of time. Not even close. Bullshit / lying is about right unless I've missed something.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 00:21   #119
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

They are certified for a set period of time (up to 20 years it seems).
Mine is 32 years old, so I dont really think I have much of an argument there.

Old 08-10-2022, 00:48   #120
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
They are certified for a set period of time (up to 20 years it seems).
Mine is 32 years old, so I dont really think I have much of an argument there.

Yes - I did miss that - that's in Schedule 4 of the The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../made/data.pdf). Those regulations are indeed made under the authority of Schedule 7 of the Electricity Act.

And yes, Schedule 4 lists all the meters and the validity of their certification.

Oh well, that's cleared up at least.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote