Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Any news on 5G

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Any news on 5G

Old 18-11-2020, 15:37   #1
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads
Any news on 5G

Just wondering if anybody has heard any news of when 5G will come to Virgin. I'm guessing they will wait until after next summer when their merge with O2 has settled down as I can't see them launching 5G with EE and then having to swap over to O2.

My Samsung Galaxy S8+ came out of contract this week so I might as well hang fire until I know whats happening. Ive been looking at the range of 5G ready phones on Virgin mobile so there's no hurry.

It took them long enough to get 4G so I imagine it will be another case of 'coming soon' and probably being the last carrier to get 5G.
Old 18-11-2020, 16:21   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Any news on 5G

As the physical network operators are barely getting going with it themselves, I can't see them being in a hurry to be undercut by VNOs like Virgin.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 19:29   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...ew-mobile-deal

Quote:
Virgin Media’s current MVNO agreement with BT Enterprise, which has been in place since January 2017, will come to an end in late 2021, at which point Virgin Media’s mobile offering will transition to Vodafone. Virgin Mobile 5G services are set to launch on the Vodafone network before the transition takes place.
Old 18-11-2020, 20:34   #4
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Interesting, not heard or seen anything internally
Old 18-11-2020, 20:45   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I though 5G was on Hold as it caused people to catch a virus ...

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 21:02   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Just upgraded to 4G (ASDA mobile is cool and very cheap ) Seems fast enough to me. Who really needs to download HD movies to a phone? 4G seems fast enough to me.

Last edited by Mr K; 18-11-2020 at 22:12.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 10:52   #7
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

But the Virgin partnership with O2 which was given the go ahead in the summer was said to be to compete against BT.

Now I'm starting to get confused. So it now sounds like it will be a Virgin/Vodaphone/O2 partnership.
Old 19-11-2020, 11:41   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Virgin Mobile will be moving to the Vodafone radio network first. That agreement was signed before the JV was announced. That's the agreement that then allows for the launch of 5G as mentioned in Press Release.

Once the JV completes then that new entity will decide about what then happens for current Virgin Mobile customers and if / when a further radio network change is done.
Old 19-11-2020, 14:20   #9
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Ok,many thanks for enlightening me Ben. Much appreciated.
Old 20-11-2020, 02:30   #10
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I though 5G was on Hold as it caused people to catch a virus ...
Regardless -- 5G is not safe..... Especially the upper tier - 24-39Ghz
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 08:41   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Stop trying to hump the transmitters. Problem solved.
Old 25-11-2020, 11:26   #12
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Pardon? Any evidence of this claim? As someone who is actively working on 5G innovation and technology, I can 100% confirm you are talking nonsense

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 12:27   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Pardon? Any evidence of this claim? As someone who is actively working on 5G innovation and technology, I can 100% confirm you are talking nonsense
But he watched something on YouTube so he’s obviously done his research and is very well informed
Old 25-11-2020, 17:03   #14
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
But he watched something on YouTube so he’s obviously done his research and is very well informed
You are probably right, that's what's scary. People are experts on topics they watch on YouTube these days

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 11:45   #15
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/5g