Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Panic at the Pumps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Panic at the Pumps

Old 28-09-2021, 09:11   #166
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Panic at the Pumps

Thankfully we have spent millions on cycle lanes in London so there's no problem getting to work
Old 28-09-2021, 09:13   #167
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Thankfully we have spent millions on cycle lanes in London so there's no problem getting to work
It's actually a £2bn nationwide Johnson initiative.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...ing-revolution
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 09:26   #168
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It's actually a £2bn nationwide Johnson initiative.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...ing-revolution
Money well spent eh,glad he didn't waste it on hgv and tanker drivers.
Old 28-09-2021, 09:28   #169
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The media can’t take all of the blame when politicians stand up and say “don’t panic” then everyone thinks “panic”.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 09:29   #170
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The media can’t take all of the blame when politicians stand up and say “don’t panic” then everyone thinks “panic”.
did you say toilet rolls
Old 28-09-2021, 09:30   #171
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The truest statement here is the increase in students at university and the situation now where even some menial jobs need a degree. (OK a bit of hyperbole).

If we can get back to uni's, poly's and colleges all offering different things aimed at different vocations and people AND increase the value of non-degree trained people and jobs. It's not always just pay (though that helps) but being valued.

We also need to allow streams so people who are good at something aren't forced into management roles to progress and we can identify those who are good at management and get them into those roles even if they are rubbish at other stuff.

And stop snipping at each other pointing out mistakes, especially not having viable alternatives. We need to work together through this situation, yes different "parties" will have different solutions, lets work out the best that also fits in with the best other solutions for other problems.
Old 28-09-2021, 09:35   #172
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

The way out of this is another lockdown
Old 28-09-2021, 09:48   #173
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
I'd say that's more likely than media scaremongering, no way they can compete with the supermarkets

Isn't illegal to store over a certain amount of petrol at home?
There is yes, in fact it's not recommended to do at all by some people, I think it has to be stored away from a house or car as well so most people probably don't have the space to do it properly anyway.

Only a matter of time before one of these ends up in a fire, i'd say.

I'd definitely ban filling up anything which isn't a vehicle (potentially without some sort of permit which shows you have something to fill up if you can't take it to the garage) and the only exception should be like for example if you've ran out and need a can to get you to a station where you could say provide an emergency code to permit it which is issued by the AA or whatever.

If they turn up and try and fill up something else, they don't turn the pump on.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 09:49   #174
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I'm afraid Dad's Army comes to mind when I hear that phrase being used!
Old 28-09-2021, 09:51   #175
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
An even worse scourge! See Tower Hill for details and the pedestrian crossings with the scourgists jumping the lights. All lycra clad.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 09:52   #176
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
did you say toilet rolls
You appear to accidentally inserted an extra "oilet " in your post…

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 09:56   #177
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Pierre's quote a few posts back leads me into a conspiracy theory.
The gist of his quote is that the fuel crisis is due entirely to the media hype of a delivery problem. Had they not hyped what had been going on for months, there would be no run on fuel.

It's the trade union who "leaked" an over-stated problem to the press and, naturally, the left wing of the Labour Party is behind this - I would say. An attack on our nation.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 10:03   #178
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Never thought of anything that far but I do think that the civil service often interpret and work on rules made by parliament in such a way that they don't work or don't work as intended.
Old 28-09-2021, 10:04   #179
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Never thought of anything that far but I do think that the civil service often interpret and work on rules made by parliament in such a way that they don't work or don't work as intended.
Can you give any examples, please?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 10:05   #180
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Pierre's quote a few posts back leads me into a conspiracy theory.
The gist of his quote is that the fuel crisis is due entirely to the media hype of a delivery problem. Had they not hyped what had been going on for months, there would be no run on fuel.

It's the trade union who "leaked" an over-stated problem to the press and, naturally, the left wing of the Labour Party is behind this - I would say. An attack on our nation.

I don't think a trade union was at the talks.

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I think they do exactly the opposite - try and get the most ridiculous policies to work.