Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Home networking help...please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Home networking help...please

Old 18-01-2009, 11:06   #1
tabatha
Inactive

tabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to all
Home networking help...please

I have read the excellent article on setting up home networking, but need more help...PLEASE

I have a NTL200 Modem...This is connected via Ethernet to a Motorola VT2442 voice gateway [This is for my Vonage Internet phone].

From the Motorola I have the phone...obviously...and 2 Ethernet cables which feed broadband to the 2 computers...there are 2 other spare, unused Ethernet points on the Motorola.

I wish to connect the 2 computers to form a "mini" network...can I use any of the above...if so, how....if not, what do I need..

I know what a Hub is, but not what it connects to so that it feeds the comps.

Wired or wireless, I have no preference..the comps will be used in the same room...

Idiots guide please

Any info/help appreciated...Thanks
tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2009, 11:38   #2
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: Home networking help...please

Hello..

I would personally, make this "easier" on your self. Go down to your local PC shop and get a router, just a router, not a router modem. Connect the router, via WAN port to the VM modem. Login to the router and copy the MAC address accross. There will / should be a tool to do this auto.

Plug your VOIP phone via ethernet into the router and do the same for all other PCS / Laptops.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 11:47   #3
tabatha
Inactive

tabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to all

Thanks for that...answers lead to more questions...

What is a WAN port/where is it

How would I "log in"

Should/will the phone still work via Vonage

Old 18-01-2009, 11:49   #4
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

The WAN port is on the Virgin Media Modem.

You should be able to login to the router, when you buy it to something like http://192.168.x.x

The phone, I presumes plugs direct into the Vonage Modem, via ethernet?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 11:53   #5
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

The VT2442 IS a router, so no need to buy another.
Networking wise, if both computers can see the internet they should be able to see each other.
What OS's are the PCs running?
If XP Home or Vista Home, you should just be able to enable file and printer sharing, unless they have ended up on different workgroups. A guide to Vista f & p sharing is here.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 11:54   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Hello..

I would personally, make this "easier" on your self. Go down to your local PC shop and get a router, just a router, not a router modem. Connect the router, via WAN port to the VM modem. Login to the router and copy the MAC address accross. There will / should be a tool to do this auto.

Plug your VOIP phone via ethernet into the router and do the same for all other PCS / Laptops.
As the Motorola Voice gateway aleady has a built in router another isn;t really needed....

The two spare ports can be used in the same way as either a hub or a router but instead of using the automatically assigned IP's just use manual ones, with differering subnets you can have two seperate networks both with internet access or without...

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

LOL@ Aragorn, you just beat me to it
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 12:04   #7
tabatha
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
The WAN port is on the Virgin Media Modem.

Only 2 ports...USB/Ethernet...is it one of those

You should be able to login to the router, when you buy it to something like http://192.168.x.x

Will the web addy be enclosed with the router

The phone, I presumes plugs direct into the Vonage Modem, via ethernet?

Correct
Does this mean I do not need a "hub"..or is that the router

Thanks

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
The VT2442 IS a router, so no need to buy another.
Networking wise, if both computers can see the internet they should be able to see each other.
What OS's are the PCs running?
If XP Home or Vista Home, you should just be able to enable file and printer sharing, unless they have ended up on different workgroups. A guide to Vista f & p sharing is here.
PC is XP v2 PRO...Laptop is XP v2 Home..

Thanks

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
As the Motorola Voice gateway aleady has a built in router another isn;t really needed....

The two spare ports can be used in the same way as either a hub or a router but instead of using the automatically assigned IP's just use manual ones, with differering subnets you can have two seperate networks both with internet access or without...

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

LOL@ Aragorn, you just beat me to it
Appreciated....but way over my head....

Idiots language would be appreciated
Old 18-01-2009, 12:12   #8
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Hmm...
Might be slightly more tricky as XP Pro makes things a bit more complicated than Home.
Firstly, what do you want to share - files from pro to home, vice versa, both, printers?
Second, right-click on the 'My Computer' icon and select properties. Then click on the 'Computer name' tab and look at the workgroup or domain name - are they the same on both?

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Also have a look at this page, which applies to both home and pro.
Old 18-01-2009, 12:22   #9
tabatha
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Hmm...
Might be slightly more tricky as XP Pro makes things a bit more complicated than Home.
Firstly, what do you want to share - files from pro to home, vice versa, both, printers?
Second, right-click on the 'My Computer' icon and select properties. Then click on the 'Computer name' tab and look at the workgroup or domain name - are they the same on both?

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Also have a look at this page, which applies to both home and pro.
What I am TRYING to do is use the Laptop as a "dumping ground" for progs etc which are on the PC...but seldom used..an external HD if you like..but as the Laptop is rarely used I was hoping not to have to buy a HD..

Is what I am after not networking..is there another/better way

Thanks...
Old 18-01-2009, 12:58   #10
Aragorn
Inactive

The easiest way would be just a USB external drive.
Yes, you can setup the PC to share part of the drive on the laptop and if both are in the same 'workgroup' it would work but an external drive would be far easier.
Old 18-01-2009, 13:31   #11
tabatha
Inactive

Thanks Aragorn for your help/advice....

Looks like an external drive is the way to go.....