Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Looking for a New 'N' router with USB for HD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Looking for a New 'N' router with USB for HD

Old 14-01-2009, 11:55   #1
BenRichards
Inactive

BenRichards is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking for a New 'N' router with USB for HD

Hi Guys,

Currently got VM's 10meg service running through an old wireless b router and only getting around 5meg.

I want to replace the router with a wireless N router but i also want to be able to connect a WD Mybook Essential via USB to the router so that I can access the drive over the wireless.

Most of my machines are Mac's so i have thought about getting an Airport Extreme and doing it that way but i wondered if there was anything you guys could recommend that is cheaper.

I've see a Belkin N+ F5D8235 for £65 and was wondering if anyone had any experiance with this router?

Here's a link to the router

Thanks!
BenRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2009, 11:58   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Looking for a New 'N' router with USB for HD

I was going to recommend the Apple router as well as you have mostly Macs.

yes it costs more but it will just work
Old 14-01-2009, 12:00   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I went for the Linksys WRT610N. Fairly pricey as the ethernet ports are all gigabit rated, but it also had the USB port for a hard disk. On the other hand I'm PC rather than mac based.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:04   #4
BenRichards
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I went for the Linksys WRT610N. Fairly pricey as the ethernet ports are all gigabit rated, but it also had the USB port for a hard disk. On the other hand I'm PC rather than mac based.
How does it perform? Do you use it with a HD in the back?
Old 14-01-2009, 12:12   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Network wise I've found it fine. I've run a gaming LAN with some 15 users hung off it (using additional gigabit switches), plus some wireless kit running too. Over a 36 hour period many users were leeching from each other considerably at the gigabit speeds, in addition to the gaming and other web use. It hasn't crashed once in 4 months use and it frequently gets hammered with torrents and stuff over the 20meg broadband.

The only bit I haven't really used is the USB HD connection since my main PC is overloaded with HDs anyway. That's my next step though mainly for backup purposes.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:26   #6
BenRichards
Inactive

Yeh, the main attraction for me is to turn my HD into a NAS with the router.
I intend to keep movies and music on it that i can stream to my macbook.
Old 14-01-2009, 16:35   #7
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

I've got my eye on the 610 as well, and I'm a Mac user. I'd suggest avoiding Apple networking products like the plague - I've had an Airport Express for 4 years now, and it's been a crash prone unreliable piece of crap. Don't even get me started on the Airtunes function.

The Lacie Network Space NAS I got for Christmas looks like it's going back to Amazon as the uPNP server doesn't work properly and Lacie can't/won't sort it. The Linksys looks like the perfect solution to a number of problems.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 18:16   #8
BenRichards
Inactive

I'd like to know how it performs before I buy one though as they are expensive and i don't really need the dual channel stuff.
Old 14-01-2009, 21:19   #9
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k

I have got a Dlink DIR-655

This has a USB port on it that you can add a HD to it.

Have been using it for about 5 months now and it has crashed once.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...SAII/sh-9-1-21

Also a review

http://www.trustedreviews.com/networ...ter-DIR-655/p1

They wont mention the fact you can use the USB to add a HD as it has just been released in the latest frimware (30/12/08).

Cheers

Pic attached with my flash drive plugged in
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 21:32   #10
BenRichards
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solventcandy View Post
I have got a Dlink DIR-655

This has a USB port on it that you can add a HD to it.

Have been using it for about 5 months now and it has crashed once.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...SAII/sh-9-1-21

Also a review

http://www.trustedreviews.com/networ...ter-DIR-655/p1

They wont mention the fact you can use the USB to add a HD as it has just been released in the latest frimware (30/12/08).

Cheers

Pic attached with my flash drive plugged in
Really?? I've looked at these in the past but decided against it because i couldnt attach a drive..

Do you use it with a USB drive attached? Is it any good?
Old 14-01-2009, 21:41   #11
cnewton2k
Inactive

cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light

i have had my Canon i850 plugged in and work st8 away, i then plugged in my flash drive and that worked as well. No problems what so ever.
Old 14-01-2009, 21:57   #12
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

yeah the dir-655 can do a networked drive i had one running for about 3 months like it, i now have the d-link dir-855 it's awesome but not cheap but again you can add a drive to that too
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 22:02   #13
cnewton2k
Inactive

3 months!!! i read on the dlink website that they only just added it?
Old 15-01-2009, 07:30   #14
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

yes 3 months i had the beta version of the software, i have a friend that works for d-link
but you are correct it has only recently been released for general download for a couple of weeks
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 09:37   #15
BenRichards
Inactive

Will I be able to access it from a mac though?