Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | MAC advice needed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

MAC advice needed

Old 28-09-2009, 01:58   #1
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of
MAC advice needed

I have two network cards (ports) on my PC. I usually use port 1 for networking, and port 2 is unused and unconnected.

On occasion (when providing Remote Assistance) I need to connect the modem directly to my PC to avoid router resets.

So to be able to hotplug, can I set my 2nd nic to the same MAC address as my router's external MAC so the modem doesn't require a power cycle? Since I use either nic 1 or nic 2 but never both connected at the same time, would this cause issues for me?

I don't want my PC to get confused between the router and the unconnected nic.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2009, 08:22   #2
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: MAC advice needed

I'd be more inclined to find out why the remote assistance session is resetting your router.

But as far as changing MAC addresses is concerned, you shouldn't have a problem, you may have to do an ipconfig /renew on the 2nd NIC though.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 13:29   #3
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
I'd be more inclined to find out why the remote assistance session is resetting your router.

But as far as changing MAC addresses is concerned, you shouldn't have a problem, you may have to do an ipconfig /renew on the 2nd NIC though.
I tried, but it seems that the WGR614v9 simply doesn't like RA sessions. I couldn't get any responses on the forums from anyone else who had tried, so I guess I'm alone on this one. RA seems not to be a popular system.

It's not the firewall (DMZ tried) or port forwarding that's the issue. I could use it fine on ADSL via my Belkin router. It even works occasionally on the WGR614v9, just very rarely.

The router is solid for everything else. I'll have to test with the Sept. firmware (not had an opportunity yet) but otherwise keep switching until a firmware release that corrects this comes out.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?
Old 28-09-2009, 19:57   #4
musicbravo
Inactive

Services: Virgin v+ xl TV Virgin M Broadband and phone
musicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these parts

Definately not the router that is the problem in this case, i help my dad out using this router and RA
musicbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 00:25   #5
AndyCalling
Inactive

Well, the router actually resets when I attempt the connection.

One thought occurs. Perhaps this router doesn't like to connect to my father's?

He has that odd single ethernet port wired 'router' (but with only one port to rout to) that TalkTalk used to provide. It works well for him, but I might give him my Belkin and see how it goes.

Anyone think it's worth it (he lives some distance away, and there would be logistical considerations in getting it to him)?
Old 29-09-2009, 09:02   #6
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

When I've encountered similar obscure problems (but not admittedly on a WGR614v9) I've always used a cross-platform 3rd party solution like TeamViewer (which is free for non business use).
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 09:31   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You may have more luck cloning the second NIC's MAC into the router than trying to change it the other way round. Even so the idea of "hot swappiing" your connection between router and NIC is likely to be tempermental.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 10:40   #8
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
When I've encountered similar obscure problems (but not admittedly on a WGR614v9) I've always used a cross-platform 3rd party solution like TeamViewer (which is free for non business use).
Even i`ll second Teamviewer for simple remote assistance
It`s so much easier,safer & faster than having your uninitiated family & friends trying to open ports on their routers.I wouldn`t even go there with most of the users i come into contact with in the real world....i`d only have to visit them in person a week later anyway, closing the ports & re-installing Windows.

I`ve only ever used Wine(emulator...not) on *nix for 2 pieces of Software and Teamviewer is one of them.Spotify is the other.I`d love to see both have a native Linux client.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote