Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which Router for 50mb & Tomato Firmware?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Which Router for 50mb & Tomato Firmware?

Old 27-09-2009, 20:36   #1
TrancerSteve
Inactive

TrancerSteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Which Router for 50mb & Tomato Firmware?

I have a WRT54GS router and have had dd-wrt installed for years, yesterday I installed tomato and I absolutely love it. Bandwidth monitoring features and QoS options are amazing.

I am having 50mb installed next friday and was hoping to keep using my WRT54GS however I am seeing reports that the router is incapable of delivering 50mb through wired ethernet. Which I am gutted about!

Are there any other options for 50mb and tomato firmware? I see a couple people say the WRT54G is ok but am not sure.

Cheers
TrancerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2009, 22:23   #2
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack
Re: Which Router for 50mb & Tomato Firmware?

WRT-54GL perhaps?

See here

I've was using the WRT-54GS previously (V5.1 though so I could only use the 'mini' version of DD-WRT and *not* Tomato) Mine can't handle 50Mb throughput
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 23:49   #3
TrancerSteve
Inactive

TrancerSteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers I will post there instead

I am annoyed I am going to have to buy a new router, especially when you look at the specs of the WRT54GS and WRT54GL, RAM and CPU speed are exactly the same! It must be something to do with a different chip set within them that handles WAN to LAN.
TrancerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 12:20   #4
Haighy
Inactive

Haighy is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I know they still give you a router. Type n one it is from Netgear. Works fine for me wired and wireless. WNR 2000 it says on the back :-)
Haighy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 16:26   #5
charker
Inactive

charker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haighy View Post
As far as I know they still give you a router. Type n one it is from Netgear. Works fine for me wired and wireless. WNR 2000 it says on the back :-)
Yes you get free Wireless-N router and USB stick.

Just had 50MB fitted 2 weeks ago. Left my Draytek Vigor 2100 Router doing the business, leaving the free D-LINK in the box, and couldn't get above 24Mb/sec ever.

Phoned the 50MB Help line and got a very knowledgable chap (who'd have thought!!!) who said "Wireless type G" that will be the problem. They top out at 22Mb/sec

Connected laptop direct to modem, connected to a download site

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blu...patches/win32/

downloaded the two biggest files, combined speed 5MB/sec. So he was right!

Put the free D-LINK router in place of my Draytek, now everything runs at 50.54Mb according to www.speedtest.net.

Reconfigured the DrayTek to do VOIP (the reason I have it!) through the D-LINK, all working correctly.

Feeling quite pleased with myself.
charker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 22:16   #6
gobbledigook
Inactive

gobbledigook is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there!

i run a wrt-600n which is dual band and has a gigabit switch, has dd-wrt on it, and runs very well the dd-wrt firmware can be flashed from the web-ui, mini first then up to mega after... the only thing to be concerned about is you need at least 2mg flash and ideally 16meg ram but most modern routers are coming with this kind of memory as standard. You could always sell the 50meg router and put towards a new one

i haven't tried tomato, but if qos and bandwidth monitoring is as good as you say i may give it a try!

as for a router for 50meg, you need wireless N as b/g only supports about 22meg throughput as charker found out. Virgin supply what looks like a d-link 615? or could be a rangebooster? not sure, but neither of these are currently supported by dd-wrt, they are list as 'work in progress' which usually means you need to pop it open and use a serial or jtag interface to flash the firmware. Hassle.

i would recommend a linksys router as the 'n' versions are all pretty much supported by dd-wrt, and therefore tomato.

hope this helps

d
gobbledigook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 23:00   #7
charker
Inactive

charker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

as for a router for 50meg, you need wireless N as b/g only supports about 22meg throughput as charker found out. Virgin supply what looks like a d-link 615? or could be a rangebooster? not sure, but neither of these are currently supported by dd-wrt, they are list as 'work in progress' which usually means you need to pop it open and use a serial or jtag interface to flash the firmware. Hassle.
What gets me is that they are crippled to 22meg even if you are not using wireless, the Vigor 2100 is a 100mb router that does 11g, nowhere does it say that even with "wired" connections you won't get more than 22meg and that's with wireless disabled!

You are correct, it is a 615 but with Virgin firmware, the downloads on the dlink site are for different revisions.
charker is offline   Reply With Quote