Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming from laptop to PS3 probs...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Streaming from laptop to PS3 probs...

Old 19-09-2009, 18:49   #1
kenjo88
Inactive

kenjo88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Streaming from laptop to PS3 probs...

I really hope one of you kind people can help me. I have just bought a PS3 Slim and I can’t get it to recognise ANY media servers I have installed. It just keeps searching and not finding anything…..and yes media sharing is enabled on it….
• I have got a Xbox 360 and have no problem wirelessly streaming to my TV.
• The PS3 is able to connect to my router no problem and connect to the internet, I have also logged into my router and it appears as ‘Unknown’ object with all the settings that appear on the PS3 network settings page.
• I have done everything I’m supposed to do in WMP11 (I’m currently running XP SP3 on my laptop), nothing appears in the window where my 360 is currently listed as a device.
• I’ve also installed PS3 Media Server with no luck but at least it can find my PS3.
• I’ve also installed TVersity with no luck.
• The fact that I can connect to the internet and download and surf with the PS3 makes me think it is not the router.
• I have disabled the Windows firewall and also my AVG software whilst trying to connect.
• I have also updated the drivers for my Network card.

This makes me think it could (maybe, hopefully) be something in the ‘Services.msc’ window that is running (or not). I have searched the net for solutions and have tried a few different things but to no avail. I am using a Black Netgear Sky V2 DG934G Router and as I said it connects ok. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400. Upnp is enabled also.

Help me Obi-wan you are my only hope……..

Kenny
kenjo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2009, 19:21   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Streaming from laptop to PS3 probs...

Boxee may do the job?
Old 19-09-2009, 19:26   #3
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

I recommend PS3 Media Server. It does an excellent job.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 19:30   #4
die5el
Inactive

die5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nicedie5el is just really nice

What I had to do is go to

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK

Then you have to see if two things are enables here

1. Universal Plug and Play Device Host. Click on that and make sure its on automatic then click on the login tab and make sure that in the service in the profile. its ENABLED. Then click back to the general tab and run the process

2. Then go further down and find the Windows Network Media player sharing service and do the same as you did before and make sure you enable and run the service.

after you do this go back to your Windows media player and share your media and the Player will let you look for devices

Also Restart the computer and the PS3
die5el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 19:49   #5
kenjo88
Inactive

Thanks for the prompt replies guys....!!!

Firstly , as i said I've tried PS3 Media server to no avail(although it works great with my 360!)

Secondly I will try the services.msc solutions you have suggested when i get home (if the wife lets me!! Its driving her up the wall that I am spending so much time trying to fix this..)
Cheers again and I will let you know 2moro

kenny
Old 20-09-2009, 11:43   #6
kenjo88
Inactive

update------no luck guys, still not picking up....any other ideas???
Old 20-09-2009, 12:07   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjo88 View Post
update------no luck guys, still not picking up....any other ideas???
What Firewall on the pc are you using? Try turning it off.

[edit] ignore the above i didn't read first post properly, try a different computer.