Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Vista not connecting to wireless network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Vista not connecting to wireless network

Old 28-04-2009, 20:36   #1
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough
Vista not connecting to wireless network

Hi all,
A colleague at work leant me his laptop to try and get his wireless connection working again. Thing is...it's Vista which I know barely anything about...
If there are some Vista experts that can talk to me in XP/2000/98/ME/3.1 language I'd really appreciate it!
Basically, the IP address is showing as a 169 one when using DHCP. I set the IP etc. manually and still not working. It's saying it can't connect to the DNS server? It also states the connection is local:
IPv4 Connectivity Local
IPv6 Connectivity Limited

Any ideas anyone? I did a TCP/IP and Winsock reset and rebooted but still the same also tried the DHCP fix mentioned by Microsoft.
There's a red cross between the network and Internet...

Hoping someone has some ideas. Also I can ping the router IP and also 4.2.2.2 (one packet gave 'general error' though).
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2009, 21:10   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Vista not connecting to wireless network

is network discovery enabled?
Old 28-04-2009, 21:20   #3
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

It could be incompatible security settings. Take the wireless security off for a bit to see if that's it.
Old 28-04-2009, 21:35   #4
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
is network discovery enabled?
Hi martyh, I checked and it was set to custom. I set it to On and selected private network and it said 'request not supported' so I selected public networks and it's now on the blue swirly (hourglass) thing.

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
It could be incompatible security settings. Take the wireless security off for a bit to see if that's it.
Yep, my router's open to the world

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

It doesn't seem to be picking up an IP by DHCP. My router IP range is 192.168.1.x
The IP it's showing on the router is 169.254.96.244...
Old 28-04-2009, 21:43   #5
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

are you getting a "wireless networks are available" message when you hover over the network icon in the task bar
Old 28-04-2009, 21:58   #6
tvout
Inactive

Quote:
are you getting a "wireless networks are available" message when you hover over the network icon in the task bar
Yep, it sees my wireless network fine but keeps coming up with an ip v4 autoconfiguration IP address of 169.254...
I tried disabling IPv4 and IPv6 in turn but still no luck

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

It's showing on my router config as connected but again, with the 169.254 IP address...
Old 28-04-2009, 22:06   #7
martyh

try opening network and sharing and look at the top left corner you should get an option to repair the connection try that
were did you see the "custom" setting cos i don't see that anywere as far as i can see there are only 2 settings on/off
Old 28-04-2009, 22:13   #8
tvout
Inactive

Quote:
try opening network and sharing and look at the top left corner you should get an option to repair the connection try that
were did you see the "custom" setting cos i don't see that anywere as far as i can see there are only 2 settings on/off
In network and sharing center at the bottom is has 'sharing and discovery' in there it says 'Network discovery' and has 'Custom' next to it. If I click on the radio button to Turn on network discovery I get the blue swirly thing for ages and nothing seems to happen. I end up killing it in task manager.
Old 28-04-2009, 22:22   #9
martyh

what version of vista is that?
the only other thing i can suggest is to make sure that "obtain ip automatically is checked" then reset the wireless adapter and reboot the router you should then be given an ip address
also make sure the security setting is the same as your router
Old 28-04-2009, 22:54   #10
tvout
Inactive

I made a bit of progress. If I go into the TCPIP IPv4 config and add an IP address etc. manually it shows up on my router with that IP but if using DHCP it gives it the duff 169 address.
With a static IP I got it to connect to the internet globe by entering Open DNS IP addresses. Still doesn't work though. If I try to diagnose I get an error 'Windows confirmed that this computer cannot connect to "Primary DNS Server"'

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Quote:
what version of vista is that?
the only other thing i can suggest is to make sure that "obtain ip automatically is checked" then reset the wireless adapter and reboot the router you should then be given an ip address
also make sure the security setting is the same as your router
Hi martyh, many thanks for the suggestions. If I have it to get the IP by DHCP I get that 194 IP address each time... I've tried resetting the wireless adapter and rebooting several times but no luck...
Old 28-04-2009, 23:13   #11
Strzelecki
Inactive

Services: 80/20Mbps FTTC on Freeola
Strzelecki has reached the bronze age
Strzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze age

It sounds to me as though you might have a problem with the broadcast dhcp packet vista sends out to try and get an address from you router. Try following the instructions here. It worked for me when I had trouble with some Zyxel routers. Worked fine on Linux and XP but Vista just plain refused to pick up DHCP details.
Strzelecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 23:42   #12
tvout
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strzelecki View Post
It sounds to me as though you might have a problem with the broadcast dhcp packet vista sends out to try and get an address from you router. Try following the instructions here. It worked for me when I had trouble with some Zyxel routers. Worked fine on Linux and XP but Vista just plain refused to pick up DHCP details.
Many thanks for the link. I tried the first reg fix and that didn't seem to make any difference. I then saw the second reg entry mentioned and realised that was there and set to 1 so I changed that to 0. Will see what happens.
The router is a WRT54G v2.0 running DD-WRT v23sp2.
Old 29-04-2009, 00:28   #13
Chuckster
Inactive

Chuckster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Can you access the Router configuration pages (192.168.1.1)?.
Have you checked that the MAC for the Wireless NIC on the laptop is in the MAC Address Filter List?
Is 'MAC Address Filtering Enabled' on the router?
It sounds to me like the router is not accepting your MAC Address and assigning you a APIPA address (169.XX......).
Hope this helps
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 00:55   #14
tvout
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Hi,
Can you access the Router configuration pages (192.168.1.1)?.
Have you checked that the MAC for the Wireless NIC on the laptop is in the MAC Address Filter List?
Is 'MAC Address Filtering Enabled' on the router?
It sounds to me like the router is not accepting your MAC Address and assigning you a APIPA address (169.XX......).
Hope this helps
Hi Chuckster, I can't access the router from IE but I can ping it fine from command prompt. I can also ping other machines on the network fine and access network drives. Mac filtering and all security on the router has been switched off and dhcp is definitely enabled on the router and in Vista.
Old 04-05-2009, 16:19   #15
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Try these commands from an ADMINISTRATOR command prompt (Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories then RIGHT CLICK on Command Prompt, then click on 'Run as Administrator')

netsh int reset all
(you will get a command prompt back in a couple of seconds with nothing visible reported, this is normal)
netsh winsock reset
(you will get a message telling you to reboot, this is normal, reboot the machine and then try connecting to the network again)

The problem is sometimes caused by a corrupt TCP/IP stack or Corrupt Windows sockets layer (winsock) - those commands above cause the windows system to reinitialise those layers and fix the problems caused by them. The 169.254 IP is a default IP when DHCP acquisition of an IP address has failed.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote