Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router ports?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router ports?

Old 14-04-2009, 12:18   #1
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Router ports?

I've noticed in my router settings that I can setup a time and day that certain router IP's can connect. rather than put a timer on my stepsons plug socket I thought it might me better to try this.

I'm wanting to know the bit where it says port setting how do I find these and will it be a standard port like 90 or 116
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2009, 12:21   #2
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack
Re: Router ports?

Not sure about the belikin routers but if you leave the ports blank does it default to blocking all ports?

Assuming you want to block all access to the internet.

JJ
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 12:34   #3
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

yeah he has computer days and sometimes takes the mick with time and sometimes when we are not in. so I want set it up so that it only comes on certain times and days which looking at it you can do.

I would assume that he would connect through his own port as the router has given him a seperate IP address and his own mac address I am just unsure what port his ethernet cable will be connecting through.

I dont think it would lock out all pc's on the network because I assume its IP specific?
Old 14-04-2009, 13:05   #4
jamiefrost
cf.geek

jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
yeah he has computer days and sometimes takes the mick with time and sometimes when we are not in. so I want set it up so that it only comes on certain times and days which looking at it you can do.

I would assume that he would connect through his own port as the router has given him a seperate IP address and his own mac address I am just unsure what port his ethernet cable will be connecting through.

I dont think it would lock out all pc's on the network because I assume its IP specific?
The port settings are there to block specific application ports not the ports on the router, so blocking port 80 would block web access . The ip address is used to specify which PC.

For example

192.168.2.1 ~ 10 80 ~ 100

Would block ports 80 to 100 for all PCs with an IP adderss between 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.10

It assumes that the PC always receives the same IP address from the router. As long as this happens it will block internet access for the PC

JJ
Old 14-04-2009, 16:23   #5
Gavin78
Ice Cold

So if I understand this if I put his IP in and then for example port 80-100 it would only block his ports and not other users ports as there are 2 other computers using the routers ethernet ports?

Not fully up on networking but for example say if he connected through port 80 and I put 80-100 if he changed his ports to say 101 it would then connect to the net again? He wouldn't know how to do this but its just an example of my way of trying to understand?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

re-reading the post I think I know what you mean so as long as his IP stays static then I assume I can use port 80 and it wouldn't affect any of the other pc's connected to the router?
Old 14-04-2009, 18:34   #6
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

You need to make his IP fixed - the MAC filtering setting will probably allow you to fix the IP, or if similar restrictions can be applied per MAC address do it that way, otherwise manually setting the address can be used to overcome the IP address filtering.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 19:11   #7
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
So if I understand this if I put his IP in and then for example port 80-100 it would only block his ports and not other users ports as there are 2 other computers using the routers ethernet ports?

Not fully up on networking but for example say if he connected through port 80 and I put 80-100 if he changed his ports to say 101 it would then connect to the net again? He wouldn't know how to do this but its just an example of my way of trying to understand?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

re-reading the post I think I know what you mean so as long as his IP stays static then I assume I can use port 80 and it wouldn't affect any of the other pc's connected to the router?

If you leave the ports blank I think it will block all of them. Most routers have a static routing table where ip addresses are assigned based upon the MAC adddress of the PC

As Matth stated above this stops the PC getting a new ip address

JJ
Old 14-04-2009, 23:07   #8
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

if you block ports i would do all and set a password on the router as well just set his pc with a static ip also the blocking on the belkin stops on saturdays normally dont know if that has been fixed or not now but used to be like it when i worked for them
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote