Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Homeplug problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT help please

Old 03-10-2008, 07:06   #1
Sparkyfletch
Inactive

Sparkyfletch is an unknown quantity at this point
BT help please

Hello,
Just joined. I should as an electrician know how to sort this problem out but have got out of depth.
my house has a new style BT incommer box (NT5??) and is a
ADSL enabled and working fine with my new BT Home Hub 2.0.
I have two Cat5 cables run from the BT box for extension phones. As soon as I hard connect either to the customer side punch down of the BT box I loose the broadband. Am i being stupid or is there another way I should connect. All connections are good.Cheers
Sparkyfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2008, 08:47   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: BT help please

Sounds like the telephones are dropping down the line power to much for the ADSL to work.

For example in the past phones and even ADSL modems had a REN number, something between .2 and 1, all the phones connected to the same network could never when added up have a REN greater than 1.

It's one of the reasons as to why multi handset dect cordless became really popular..

You could talk to BT but as they only tend to cover the outside witing upto the master socket (and or the BT homehub for which they'll ask you to unplug all extensions to test) they'll charge for an engineer to fix...
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:02   #3
Sparkyfletch
Inactive

Sparkyfletch is an unknown quantity at this point

Makes sense, thanks. I will call bt first, if no joy ther must be some kind of amp?
Sparkyfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:31   #4
mikej101
Inactive

mikej101 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you say you have CAT5 to extensions - how is the connection being made at the NT5 ?
mikej101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:01   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I presumed he was getting mixed up with CAT5 and standard telephone extensions...

Which does bring me back to my original point as most people don;t realise but long extensions will have an effect of lowering the maximum ren number that the system can cope with
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:12   #6
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

I hope that you don't forget to use filters on every extension that you use?
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote