Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking Printer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking Printer

Old 26-01-2009, 16:52   #1
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Angry Networking Printer

Hey guys,

I have a Lexmark X4550 Printer all in one, and have successfully conneted it to my WLAN under vista and it shows as sharing under vista. However I have encountered two problems

1) Everytime I go to add the device into my network so that it shows up on Vista, it says its successfully installed, but then doesnt show up (Network & Sharing Centre >>> View Computers & Devices)

2) when I try to print a test page it says that I need to enable bio directional support under the Ports tab in the printers properties. I do this click apply and the option clears itself.

3) I am using the latest driver downloaded from the internet.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-01-2009, 19:54   #2
xero01uk
Inactive

Services: TV: XL Broadband XL
xero01uk is on a distinguished roadxero01uk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xero01uk
Re: Networking Printer

give lexmark a ring? they have a UK number
xero01uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 15:05   #3
keyholder
Inactive

Services: basic fone & L BB,
keyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about themkeyholder has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Hey guys,

I have a Lexmark X4550 Printer all in one, and have successfully conneted it to my WLAN under vista and it shows as sharing under vista. However I have encountered two problems

1) Everytime I go to add the device into my network so that it shows up on Vista, it says its successfully installed, but then doesnt show up (Network & Sharing Centre >>> View Computers & Devices)

2) when I try to print a test page it says that I need to enable bio directional support under the Ports tab in the printers properties. I do this click apply and the option clears itself.

3) I am using the latest driver downloaded from the internet.

sounds like a Vista problem not aprinter problem. See if u can isolate the problem by printing something as simple as a txt doc, but then enter the ip off the printer

If you can do that , then at least u know its comunicatin to the pc over the lan.

If not then its something to do with that steaming pile of brown stuff u have on ur pc called Vista .

I would assume this as its not allowing you to store the printer as a added device. You should only have to add it once and then the printer software does the rest as it normally would
keyholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 15:09   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

First, I would suggest disabling any software firewalls.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 15:31   #5
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Fixed it, sorry for not getting back, removed all the software and re installed from scratch. I would still like to know what Bio Directional Support is/does
Old 02-02-2009, 15:36   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Biodirectional means it not only sends data to the printer but can also get data sent back from the printer, early printers didn't need this but more and more printers actually send data back like ink levels and in the case of All-In-One printers the scanner needs to be able to send data back as well
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 16:57   #7
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xero01uk View Post
give lexmark a ring? they have a UK number

That's helpfull. Thanks for your input!

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

MadGamer: I was about to say - when you connected you're PC to the wi-fi, which discoverable option did you pick - Home, Work or Public as one of these (I think public) disables the local network searching feature.

Also - what workgroup have to you added the printer into - if there's an option for it? Make sure it's the same as all the other PC's etc...
Old 02-02-2009, 17:14   #8
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
That's helpfull. Thanks for your input!

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

MadGamer: I was about to say - when you connected you're PC to the wi-fi, which discoverable option did you pick - Home, Work or Public as one of these (I think public) disables the local network searching feature.

Also - what workgroup have to you added the printer into - if there's an option for it? Make sure it's the same as all the other PC's etc...
I selected the Private Option, and also made sure that all the PC's had WORKGROUP as the name.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Biodirectional means it not only sends data to the printer but can also get data sent back from the printer, early printers didn't need this but more and more printers actually send data back like ink levels and in the case of All-In-One printers the scanner needs to be able to send data back as well
ah thanks for that Kymmy