Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rate the last movie you saw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Rate the last movie you saw

Old 03-10-2021, 16:45   #5506
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

I think it’s widely known that she has the 007 designation since he’s retired. It was out there when the film was in production, it’s just that that was quite a long time ago now. They’ve opted not to be explicit about it in the trailers but I don’t think they were hoping everyone would have forgotten.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2021, 16:49   #5507
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

No Time to Die 8/10

A great Bond film and a fitting end to Craig's time as Bond.
Old 03-10-2021, 18:08   #5508
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think it’s widely known that she has the 007 designation since he’s retired. It was out there when the film was in production, it’s just that that was quite a long time ago now. They’ve opted not to be explicit about it in the trailers but I don’t think they were hoping everyone would have forgotten.
Is she his replacement (after he retires), or is she just another "Double O“ agent, like Sean Bean was in Goldeneye?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 19:09   #5509
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

No Time to Die: 10/10

What a fantastic film and I would say it is analogous with Infinity War and Endgame rounding off the MCU. It isn't just a good action film with multiple locations and beautiful vistas, it is a continuation and conclusion of the stories which have been building from the previous films. While I was watching the film I wanted to give it 8/10, then 9/10 but it just kept getting better and better and I ended up needing to give it 10/10. I thought what they did with the new 007 was genius with regards to acknowledging and appeasing the PC crowd and if you were paying attention there were some fantastic nods to the franchise, both current and old, as well as honouring the character himself. This is a well crafted and perfect ending for Daniel Craig's tenure as James Bond and it literally couldn't have been any better imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Is she his replacement (after he retires), or is she just another "Double O“ agent, like Sean Bean was in Goldeneye?
that would be a spoiler and the answer is crystal clear in the film
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 19:28   #5510
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Spoiler: 
The only thing holding me back from giving it a better score is the main bad guy's motivation wasn't properly explained
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 20:10   #5511
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Spoiler: 
I know what you mean and my realism factor was itching. It is one thing to have a vendetta and desire to right where you have been wronged in life and it is another to have amassed an apocalyptic empire and fund it, especially without organisations like Spectre noticing. The reason why it didn't bother me though is because this film isn't about the new big bad guy and his sinister plot to wreak havoc. This film is all about James Bond the the new bad guy is just a vehicle to drive the story from A to B and I thought a lot of love and care went into it.

I have never been a fan of James Bond and always considered the films to be just good action films. The fact that I have given it 10/10 should say something and tbh I think it stands in a league of its own in relation to the rest of the franchise.

Btw, it goes without saying that this is a cinema worthy film. If you haven't seen the previous Daniel Craig films recently or you can't remember exactly what happened and all the characters involved in them then you need spend 10 minutes of your time catching up and watching the two vids below. I am glad I did.

Old 03-10-2021, 20:21   #5512
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Spoiler: 
I thought the very final scene was perfect as a love letter to Bond as well. The 'let me tell you a story about a man called Bond, James Bond' and the cut to the girl smiling just before All The Time in the World plays.
Old 03-10-2021, 20:32   #5513
General Maximus
Ran Away

Yup, it is the little things like that in films and tv series which do it for me.
Old 05-10-2021, 14:19   #5514
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Just been enjoying TimeLine from 2003. I had seen it before but forgot its name. Richard Donner directed it.
Starring
Paul Walker
Gerald Butler
Billy Connerly
Anna Friel
David Thewlis

8/10 seen it before but forgot it then got the chance to grab it again. Think I will keep it
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 22:24   #5515
General Maximus
Ran Away

Dune (2021): 10/10

I don't know where to start with this one but I think in this case less is more as far as my writing goes I knew absolutely nothing about the story and this film did a perfect job of setting everything up and explaining everything. The best way I can describe it is like the Lord of the Rings trilogy where a lot a happens in the first film but there is clearly more story to tell. I only wish they had made all the films at the same time because I would gladly have sat there and watched them back to back; i was hooked.

Amazing visuals, story, acting, action, special effects, score and everything else you can think of. This film sets the gold standard for story telling and you can't help but think "if they can do it in this film so well then why can't every film be like this". It deserves a boat load of Oscars and if it doesn't get them it will be a travesty.
Old 18-10-2021, 22:47   #5516
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Dune (2021): 10/10

I don't know where to start with this one but I think in this case less is more as far as my writing goes I knew absolutely nothing about the story and this film did a perfect job of setting everything up and explaining everything. The best way I can describe it is like the Lord of the Rings trilogy where a lot a happens in the first film but there is clearly more story to tell. I only wish they had made all the films at the same time because I would gladly have sat there and watched them back to back; i was hooked.

Amazing visuals, story, acting, action, special effects, score and everything else you can think of. This film sets the gold standard for story telling and you can't help but think "if they can do it in this film so well then why can't every film be like this". It deserves a boat load of Oscars and if it doesn't get them it will be a travesty.
The 1984 version set a pretty high bar, which may have helped push this production along. That previous adaptation really only falls short in its editing of the original material IMO - it’s obvious a ton of story is missing from Paul Atredes’ time among the Fremen rebels. But then they only ever planned to do it in one film, while Villeneuve is aiming to do it in 2.

It’s a rare thing indeed by the way to have something on the scale of LotR in continuous production for that length of time (principal photography for the entire triology went non-stop, back to back, for well over a year, with pick-ups following on and off over the 3 years after that). New Line took a huge financial risk on it. Miramax had originally been funding the production but were only prepared to allow 2 films. They walked away because they couldn’t afford the risk inherent in doing what Jackson and Walsh wanted to do with it.

With Dune 2021, Villeneuve wanted to go big and wasn’t prepared to go low budget just to secure advance funding for the sequel. He has said he needed to make the first film good enough to make the case with Warner, which has bankrolled the project - it was a gamble that risks him being left with an incomplete work but if it’s as good as it looks it is a gamble that should pay off.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 23:53   #5517
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
if it’s as good as it looks it is a gamble that should pay off.
The guy is a visionary and his body of work speaks for itself. If I was a studio i would be wanting to form a special relationship with directors like him and letting him know he has a creative home and the financial backing to see his dreams realised.

Christopher Nolan is a good example and Warner Bros have screwed him over.

Last edited by General Maximus; 18-10-2021 at 23:58.
Old 26-10-2021, 17:15   #5518
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Dune 9/10.

Also loved it. I wanted more when it ended.

The one disappointment is there seems there is so much more to tell and I wish WB had committed to a trilogy from the outset. I would have preferred more world-building and ending the film on the 'attack' scene. Even Part 2 will, IMO, undersell this because it doesn't feel like we're halfway through the story.

Villeneuve was right to make this part 1 without any promise of a sequel though. Should Part 2 not happen then at least this is the best expression of part 1 he could make rather than try to make one film out of this.

It probably will get a part 2 but the one risk is WB's decision to release on streaming mean the American Box Office is muted and although streaming figures should count towards it they may not be convinced on giving a streaming movie a big budget. If we're getting a Part 2 it needs a blockbuster budget, not a streaming one.
Old 26-10-2021, 20:02   #5519
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
The 1984 version set a pretty high bar, which may have helped push this production along. That previous adaptation really only falls short in its editing of the original material IMO - it’s obvious a ton of story is missing from Paul Atredes’ time among the Fremen rebels. But then they only ever planned to do it in one film, while Villeneuve is aiming to do it in 2.

It’s a rare thing indeed by the way to have something on the scale of LotR in continuous production for that length of time (principal photography for the entire triology went non-stop, back to back, for well over a year, with pick-ups following on and off over the 3 years after that). New Line took a huge financial risk on it. Miramax had originally been funding the production but were only prepared to allow 2 films. They walked away because they couldn’t afford the risk inherent in doing what Jackson and Walsh wanted to do with it.

With Dune 2021, Villeneuve wanted to go big and wasn’t prepared to go low budget just to secure advance funding for the sequel. He has said he needed to make the first film good enough to make the case with Warner, which has bankrolled the project - it was a gamble that risks him being left with an incomplete work but if it’s as good as it looks it is a gamble that should pay off.
On that note...

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...el-1235094974/

Quote:
‘Dune: Part 2’ Officially Greenlit, Release Date Set for 2023

“Dune” is officially getting a sequel.

Legendary Entertainment announced the news in a tweet on Tuesday. Warner Bros. will distribute the film and help finance it, though Legendary is the primary money behind the movie and owns the rights to the book series. The film is expected to have an exclusive theatrical run, and Legendary will likely make that point iron-clad after “Dune” debuted simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max last week. The unorthodox distribution pattern was a pandemic-era concession by Warner Bros., but one that caused an uproar when it was unveiled in 2020. The “Dune” sequel will hit theaters on Oct. 20, 2023.
https://twitter.com/Legendary/status...516466691?s=20

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dune2.jpg (94.1 KB, 124 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 26-10-2021 at 20:06.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 20:57   #5520
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll believe it when I see it. Just hope if it does get made, it won't take as long as the Avatar sequels. Having said that, I've just finished watching it and it was very, very good. It was a bit jarring to see Stellan Skarsgård in such a role but hey ho.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote