Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Electric Combi-Boilers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Electric Combi-Boilers

Old 08-05-2022, 20:14   #1
murfitUK
cf.addict

murfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to all
Electric Combi-Boilers

Has anyone here got an electric combi-boiler (heating & hot water)?

My gas boiler is on its last legs and I am looking for a replacement. I've been thinking about getting an electric one so I can get rid of the gas supply. I know electricity is a bit more expensive per therm (or kwH - or whatever its called) but I reckon that it will work out a bit cheaper getting rid of the gas standing charge. I seem to pay more for the standing charge than for actual gas used.

Are they reliable? Can they be installed easily or does it involve extensive re-plumbing? I am in unchartered territory here so if you have one and can offer any insight then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
murfitUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2022, 20:29   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Electric Combi-Boilers

They slot into the pipework as easily as a gas boiler would. Once they’re in they don’t need the annual service a gas boiler would. However I’d be amazed if operating one works out cheaper than gas. Gas is 7p per kWh, with a daily standing charge of 27p, at the present price cap. Electricity is 28p per kWh with a 45p standing charge. If you cut off your gas you save 27p per day, but …

Gas: 2 kWh of hot water heated, plus one day’s standing charge = 41p
Elec: 2 kWh of hot water (and you’re already paying the standing charge anyway) = 56p

So if you use only 2kWh of electricity per day where you would previously have used gas, it’s already costing you more.

The only places I’ve ever seen these is in villages where there’s no mains gas, and historically most houses in that situation would have used oil for water heating in preference to electricity as that’s still cheaper. We’re off main and use a wood pellet boiler. If you have mains gas, then it’s almost certainly cheaper to use it, *unless* your hot water requirements are vanishingly small (like a holiday flat perhaps).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 21:12   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Electric Combi-Boilers

We are all going to be weaned off domestic gas, so perhaps prices for leccy boilers will drop due to economy of scale?

Presently I've seen them on sale for between £1k and £2k, with fitting as a replacement around £250 as you need both an electrician and a plumber. New fits are far more expensive.

They are almost 100% efficient, just being pulled back from perfection by the power used by the pump and electronics.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote