Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Old 04-04-2022, 15:37   #1
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2022, 17:34   #2
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

looks OK, is this the Discovery spin off? Let's hope it's better than that!
Old 04-04-2022, 18:06   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It is but of course it is also kinda a TOS prequal and an Enterprise sequel
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 20:42   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I don't think so but it depends what your tastes are. I was hoping for a more serious grounded proper Star Trek series based on what we have already seen of the characters (i.e. establishing the baseline for my realism factor) however this looks way too silly and I can only assume they are taking advantage of a new series and blank slate and trying to capitalise on the success of The Orville and a lot of the criticism Discovery initially received. This trailer was deliberately made to make it look like a scifi comedy.
Old 04-04-2022, 22:39   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I don't think so but it depends what your tastes are. I was hoping for a more serious grounded proper Star Trek series based on what we have already seen of the characters (i.e. establishing the baseline for my realism factor) however this looks way too silly and I can only assume they are taking advantage of a new series and blank slate and trying to capitalise on the success of The Orville and a lot of the criticism Discovery initially received. This trailer was deliberately made to make it look like a scifi comedy.
Have you ever even watched TOS? It mixed slapstick, closet racist jibes and high drama on a weekly basis. It did so precisely because the network criticised *both* pilots for being too serious (you can especially see this in The Cage). TOS was colourful, bombastic, melodramatic and hilarious in equal measure. “Proper” Star Trek isn’t grounded in the way you seem to think it is.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 22:45   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

I want it in the same tone or as they behaved in season 2 of Discovery; however you want to describe or categorise it.
Old 04-04-2022, 22:56   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I want it in the same tone or as they behaved in season 2 of Discovery; however you want to describe or categorise it.
Given the lengths they’ve gone to to kick Discovery into the long grass, and the fact that they latched on to the idea of Pike’s Enterprise as a way of making the Star Trek prequel everyone hoped for (but didn’t get) in 2017, I think the chances of them using Disco season 2 to orientate SNW are slim to none. They are setting a series IIRC less than a decade prior to TOS and are now well aware of fandom’s expectations around that. Aside from the visual reboot which they are stuck with (and probably couldn’t have avoided even in 2017 to be honest), the entire production design is obviously calling back to the 1960s. It looks to me as if the starting point is “if Star Trek had been made back then with the production tools we have now, what might it have looked like?” If they answer that question well, we’re in for a treat. But I really don’t think it’s going to look much like the franchise-salvaging stuff we got in Discovery 2.
Old 04-04-2022, 23:10   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

I am not talking about the visual and aesthetics if Discovery, i am talking about the tone/attitude/behaviour of Pike. I loved who he was (is) and i want to see continuity. It is as if he is a completely different character in that trailer.
Old 04-04-2022, 23:19   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I just want to watch it with an open mind and enjoy the escapism. I feel sorry for you and how disappointed you are with things all the time
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 23:21   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I am not talking about the visual and aesthetics if Discovery, i am talking about the tone/attitude/behaviour of Pike. I loved who he was (is) and i want to see continuity. It is as if he is a completely different character in that trailer.
I don’t think he is - and I think Anson Mount is too accomplished an actor for that to happen. There’s nothing in that trailer that wasn’t in range for the character as seen in Discovery. They’re just dealing with different material. In Discovery, Pike’s enterprise was a sub-plot in a story arc dealing with an existential threat. That’s always going to tilt the material towards the grim. But it would be a mistake to draw too complete a conclusion about what sort of Pike we’re going to get just from that, or even to assume that’s how he *should* be. We’d end up with something a bit two dimensional in that case.
Old 05-04-2022, 00:43   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Well I guess we'll enjoy it again, while some sulk in the corner, again.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 00:49   #12
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Perhaps it's me being a bit older now but if I don't like something I just don't watch it, I don't complain if others do.

I tried Discovery S1 being a Star Trek fan but didn't like it so didn't bother any more. I gave up about halfway through IIRC.

I have hopes for ST New Worlds. If I like it , I'll watch it, if I don't I won't juast as I stopped watching Suoergirl when it more pc/\woke orientated rather than story.

Bottom line, if you like it watch it. If you don't the don't whatever is said on a discussion forum like this won't cahnge anything. We all know what Generals realism consitutes and also others disagree, so what why keep harping on?

I don't see the point.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 22:33   #13
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

I'm looking forward to it.

Can't say it happens too often, but on this I'm with Chris - it looks like they're trying to revisit the feel of TOS and if they manage to do that it'll be a classic.

Don't know how many series they're planning but I hope when the do call it a day they've managed to go right through to when Pike's covered in porridge and in the prototype Davros chair.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 00:04   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
... in the prototype Davros chair.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 15:33   #15
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Looks good - great fan of the Discovery time line, so this should be just as good.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote