Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Men's Shed question?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Men's Shed question?

Old 20-04-2022, 19:11   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Men's Shed question?

Do any of you here belong or go to a Men's Shed?

It's a charity that helps mainly men as mine says "Men’s Shed exists to provide a safe space for those who may be socially isolated or suffer mental health challenges to come together to find support, share skills and ideas, learn from each other and above all enjoy a chat over a mug of tea (or coffee!)"

Now it started just before Covid-19 hit and is now catching up with the things it has planned.

Now we are in the process of sorting out an induction for new members and a tool database with S/Ns etc.

Has anyone done this, and can you help advise us?

Here's a link to mine

https://hcshed.org.uk/
Old 20-04-2022, 19:59   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Men's Shed question?

I can safely say I have never even heard of such a thing.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 20:05   #3
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Good with it!
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 20:42   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Do any of you here belong or go to a Men's Shed?

It's a charity that helps mainly men as mine says "Men’s Shed exists to provide a safe space for those who may be socially isolated or suffer mental health challenges to come together to find support, share skills and ideas, learn from each other and above all enjoy a chat over a mug of tea (or coffee!)"

Now it started just before Covid-19 hit and is now catching up with the things it has planned.

Now we are in the process of sorting out an induction for new members and a tool database with S/Ns etc.

Has anyone done this, and can you help advise us?

Here's a link to mine

https://hcshed.org.uk/
What a marvellous initiative- I wish you well.

I'd not heard of this before, but had heard of Andys man Club- are they similar?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 17:38   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
What a marvellous initiative- I wish you well.

I'd not heard of this before, but had heard of Andy's man Club are they similar?

I've heard of that.

But we have become known locally, and certain groups link MIND bring people to us, some return, some haven't.

The biggest issue is funding
Old 21-04-2022, 22:26   #6
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I know there is one near me, have seen fliers for it, and they have a stall at local fetes at local parks etc.

I think it's in the grounds of a local church, but not affiliated with the church. This church is good like that, they do a lot for the community with never any pressure/guilt etc to try and force you to go on Sunday, like a Church should be

Anyway, I digress, good luck, it looks like a useful, worthwhile venture, can you not read out to other Shed groups, is there not a discussion group/forum just for them to bounce ideas etc?

Or have I not understood it right? is it not like a nationwide organisation with branches, is each one its own separate entity with similar ideology?
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 12:20   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

The shed I go to is independent and is a registered charity, it is linked to the shed network.

We have a huge selection of tools, we do build stuff, but sometimes we sit with a cuppa and talk about everything and nothing.
Old 25-04-2022, 09:18   #8
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I've never heard of it but think it is a wonderful idea.

Us men are often the last to talk about or open up about things so this is a great idea.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 10:35   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

You can right off any online support group to an extent. The best support you can get is your physical friends.

I'm going to be meeting with a friend who knows he is going to die from cancer. He knows it, I know it,do you think that is what all talk about? We got that out of the way the first time he told me and we are both of the same frame of mind.

Physical interaction is the better dying option than anything online. Makes me wonder about the future but I doubt I'll be here when social intercouse will only be an online thing.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 10:40   #10
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I agree friends are very important, but some people may not have friends or find it difficult to make friends.
Sometimes talking to someone completly different who doesnt know you is more helpful.
I guess there are advantages to both.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 11:11   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I agree friends are very important, but some people may not have friends or find it difficult to make friends.
Sometimes talking to someone completly different who doesnt know you is more helpful.
I guess there are advantages to both.
There is no-one who doesn't have "a" friend, now that friendship is being moved to "online friends".

The youger generation are now looking for friendship online via social media sites, looking for relationships via dating sites etc.

Everything is shifting to online relationships.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote