Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Vodaphone/City Fibre Gigafast router. Modem-only mode?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Vodaphone/City Fibre Gigafast router. Modem-only mode?

Old 17-04-2021, 18:04   #1
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Vodaphone/City Fibre Gigafast router. Modem-only mode?

I'm looking into switching from VM to a combination of Vodaphone Gigafas with standalone Sky TV. Currently, I use my own router set up using a GT AX11000 with AiMesh for all routing and WiFi.

Will the Vodaphone router allow modem-only mode? If not, is there a workaround?

My question is working under the assumption that the Gigafast modem/router isn't up to much for those of us who want to do more with our routers, but I see from videos that it does have port forwarding capability and VPN, although I'm not sure of the security standard of the VPN. Perhaps the kit is good enough for me to give up on having my own router arrangement, especially given that Vodaphone provide their own WiFi boosters for full house coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub1D...odafoneIreland
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2021, 13:16   #2
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough
Re: Vodaphone/City Fibre Gigafast router. Modem-only mode?

i've had voda/cityfibre for around a year now, the router is basic... as for modem-only mode, no there's no option for that.
you can however use your own router, baring a few settings and inputs, which will give you the options you are wanting.
the work around is to have a router which you can change the vlan setting to 911, according to this forum post(s) i found. https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Othe...s/td-p/2614887
the posts don't really explain much but is a start.
personally for me i have kind of got used to using the vodaphone router, although i have split the wifi channels as when they were combined i had quite a low signal level.
another problem i had with the router and still have, some devices such as nowtv sticks, fire tablets and i think one of my laptops absolutely refuses to see the 5ghz network and are stuck with the 2.4ghz, i can only suspect that the devices are looking for a lower channel than the router is putting the 5ghz on which on mine is up in the 120 range... the devices are looking for the lower 40-80 range and as it's a basic router i can't change that setting.. used to be able to but after a forced firmware update that option was removed...
bottom line the router is crap, but if you want to use the phone line which comes with it you have to use it..
sorry for the long post and i know it was a while when it was posted but i've only just seen it

steve
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 13:50   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

can you not just turn the wifi off on the basic router ?
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 15:46   #4
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobna View Post
i've had Voda/Cityfibre for around a year now, the router is basic... as for modem-only mode, no there's no option for that.
you can however use your own router, baring a few settings and inputs, which will give you the options you are wanting.
the work around is to have a router which you can change the vlan setting to 911, according to this forum post(s) i found. https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Othe...s/td-p/2614887
the posts don't really explain much but is a start.
personally for me i have kind of got used to using the vodaphone router, although i have split the wifi channels as when they were combined i had quite a low signal level.
another problem i had with the router and still have, some devices such as nowtv sticks, fire tablets and i think one of my laptops absolutely refuses to see the 5ghz network and are stuck with the 2.4ghz, i can only suspect that the devices are looking for a lower channel than the router is putting the 5ghz on which on mine is up in the 120 range... the devices are looking for the lower 40-80 range and as it's a basic router i can't change that setting.. used to be able to but after a forced firmware update that option was removed...
bottom line the router is crap, but if you want to use the phone line which comes with it you have to use it..
sorry for the long post and i know it was a while when it was posted but i've only just seen it

steve
I finally bit the bullet and went with Vodafone/CityFibre, having decided that I would demote my main router to an IMesh access point. I could have worked straight off the ONT, doing without the Vodafone router and signal booster, but my router doesn't have VoIP capability/sockets for the telephone line.

So, I have the Vodafone router at the core of the network with it's own booster network. Alongside, because we have a large house, I have put my Asus router in the attic and linked it with it's own iMesh router in a different corner of the house. Just for now, both setups are using the same SSID. The whole house is well covered with Wifi with a minimum of 120Mb down and upstream in the furthest corner and down the end of the garden. I'll keep it that way if devices have no trouble maintaining a connection moving around the house.

Ethernet connected speeds are very good with 940Mb up and downstream, although downstream drops to around 800Mb during peak hours.

I have saved about £60.00 a month having done away with VM TV. Instead of their V6 boxes I have bought a couple HUMAX 2TB TV boxes for handling aerial TV, recordings, Amazon, Netflix, Plex and Kodi. Because I run a Synology media server, this works a treat. We don't miss VM TV.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhlpLoG7kfyGqOIp...pJJJA?e=WS9CJ9

Last edited by roughbeast; 08-03-2022 at 15:52.
Old 08-03-2022, 17:25   #5
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
can you not just turn the wifi off on the basic router ?
You could but I believe you'd get double nating then which could cause IP address problems especially if you run a lot of devices.
daveeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 17:30   #6
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

This can't be right Shirley. I know Cloudfare is a great set of servers. I use it for my DNS, but it's not that good!

This is not the only oddity. I don't know how Vodafone does its routing but I appear to be in London, not Coventry. For example Speedtest.net has Iomart Leicester as 89 miles away, which it is, at a push, from London. In reality, it is 20 miles from Coventry. All London servers appear to be only 1 mile away from my location, not the >90 miles one would have to drive down the M1.

What's going on?
Old 13-03-2022, 00:30   #7
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

great news on switching, hope your enjoying the service as much as i do, although i have recently switched to a 3rd party router as the vodafone supplied is just rubbish, i started getting dropouts literally 3 times a day, had a replacement and that also started doing the same, since changing the router, with a little setup time, i was back online within 10 mins and have not had a dropout or any issue for over 45 days, link to the router i have switched to, great bit of kit and worth every penny.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
regarding the routing issue with servers, when i do speed tests i do find it can change widely, most of the time my connection chooses manchester or leeds but sometime can go as far as london, it does not affect my connection or ping in anyway though.
this is my speed test on my 500/500 (wired ethernet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speed.jpg (87.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 26-04-2022, 17:38   #8
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

I have had a bit of a battle with Vodafone because of unstable performance and over-chjarging. All resolved now. They have given me an optimally routed static IP which gives me a ping <8ms and speeds consistently @940Mb or better both ways.

My next step is to pluck up courage to use my own router instead of Vodafone's. I already have an RT AX11000 and the VF user name and password I require. I'm just waiting for delivery of a 1Gb switch so I can run VF's router at the same time as my own, but with the WiFi switched off. I have to run the VF router to keep my landline working.
Old 14-07-2022, 13:38   #9
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

All perfect now.

I have dispensed with the Vodafone modem/router and their Voip adaptor.

My GT-AX11000 is linked direct to the ONT box and set it for dual WAN (Failback) so I can use the Vodafone connection backup 4G dongle. I have bought into BOnline's Voip service. This gives much better services than Vodafone's for a similar price.

Speed and ping are pretty well optimum 24/7. Ping is never more than 8ms. Up and downstream always >940Mb. Some of this consistency I am sure is due to Vodafone allowing me a static IP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-07-14 123552.jpg (60.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by roughbeast; 14-07-2022 at 13:59.
Old 25-07-2022, 01:35   #10
bobna
cf.addict

nice roughbeast, you will definitely see a massive improvement over the voda router. i haven't gone as far as you with the failback for 4g connection or voip, never used the phone anyway, but have had a rock solid connection since i switched to my own.
only time it has been off or dropped that i'm aware of that is, was when i unplugged the router to sort out cables behind my tv cabinet.
getting full 500MB, going to 560MB most of the time, up and down.