Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SPI Firewall Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SPI Firewall Question

Old 25-09-2009, 01:24   #1
chris26engwales

Services: XL TV, Large 10mb VM Cable Broadband & AOL upto 8mb Broadband.
SPI Firewall Question

Im having problems with corrupt downloads which i think is due to my routers firewall.

Is it safe to disable it permenatly?
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2009, 04:15   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: SPI Firewall Question

No it is not safe!

I suggest installing a software firewall before you disable the NAT device.

I have two machines networked behind a router with an additional software firewall installed on each.

Try Outpost Free http://free.agnitum.com/
Absolutely painless to install and use. Auto detects AV and any networks you may be running. The only thing I had to sort out was that it wouldn't let my XP Home Desktop communicate with my Vista Home Notebook while allowing the vice versa. The fix was to make the network 'Trusted".
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 12:14   #3
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

although not an advisable thing to do if u think it is the cause of whatever problems u seem to be getting then why not, i use Comodo firewall as my software based one, install a software one and see how u get on then.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 12:38   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

What makes you think it's the router's firewall?

I'd ber very surprised if that were the case TBH.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 12:56   #5
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

The SPI firewall will not cause corruption. Most likely it is the server you're downloading from that is causing it, or your connection isn't quite running properly.

Run

ping www.bbc.co.uk -n 50

and post the results to see if you have any packet loss. That could cause corruption.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 14:29   #6
chris26engwales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
What makes you think it's the router's firewall?

I'd ber very surprised if that were the case TBH.
i was getting CRC errors on some files especially Zip and rar files, i looked this up and it said on the net that sometimes the SPI firewall can be overloadsed and then it starts to drop data packets and either slows down the download or corrupts.

I disabled the firewall and since no problems yet.
Old 25-09-2009, 14:30   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

What protocol are you downloading over?

Also, if you're downloading enough to be overloading the firewall then you don't need to turn it off, you need to get a different one.
Old 25-09-2009, 22:48   #8
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I sometimes get timeouts using FireFox have you tried your download from a different browser?

Also - if you are downloading from a mirror service (such as sourceforge) then try one of the other mirrors
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 00:34   #9
chris26engwales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
What protocol are you downloading over?

Also, if you're downloading enough to be overloading the firewall then you don't need to turn it off, you need to get a different one.
Tried over both HTTP and FTP.

I use flashget also to download from rapidshare and from both FTP and HTTP.

I disabled the SPI one and am now using Comodo and all the problems have cleared up that i was getting.
Old 26-09-2009, 08:08   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

Suppose it could be a problem with the SPI firewall implementation in that box then, odd but not impossible I guess.

You could try upgrading the firmware to the latest version - they might have improved it since it was released.
Old 26-09-2009, 14:37   #11
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Rob M i have also read about this, a friend of mine on Virgin 10mb has a 2 year old Wireless Linksys router and almost from the word go he would get corrupt downloads, he had the router changed twice and still the same but inthe end the place he bought it from went bust so he was stuck with it. After i read about it and he disabled the firewall and installed Zonealarm back then not only did his download slightly improve even on such small things as free downloads from Sendspace from an average of 90kb/s to around 130kb/s but he didnt get corruptions in Zip and Rar files anymore.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 14:43   #12
chris26engwales

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
The SPI firewall will not cause corruption. Most likely it is the server you're downloading from that is causing it, or your connection isn't quite running properly.

Run

ping www.bbc.co.uk -n 50

and post the results to see if you have any packet loss. That could cause corruption.
SPI firewall can cause corruption from what i have read. What happens is that the firewall gets overloaded and starts to drop data packets and it can cause 2 things to happen. Either the download will slow to a crawl or the download will corrupt.
Old 26-09-2009, 17:19   #13
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Then its not an issue with SPI firewalls perse, but more a problem with some Router Chipsets/CPUs as from what's been said its more a bottleneck which wouldn't be the SPI itself but the chipset causing it.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote