Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear WRN 2000 Router problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear WRN 2000 Router problem

Old 22-01-2009, 09:11   #1
montehampster
Inactive

montehampster is an unknown quantity at this point
Netgear WRN 2000 Router problem

Can someone please save my sanity?

I recently upgraded to 20 mg (well to be honest I've had the new Scientific Atlanta modem for ages but was put off upgrading by the need to contact Virgin to activate as the last time I rang them re the TV it took me 75 mins to get through!) and everything worked albeit I could see no improvement in speed and in fact the laptop upstairs was slower if anything.

I was told by a friend he had purchased the above and a USB dongle to get Wireless N and that dramatically improved his system. So last Friday I purchased one at PC World with the adapter in a bundle. Got it home, used the accompanying set up CD and, as promised on the box, was up and running like a dream within about 20 minutes. The following morning still OK came home later that day to discover the wired PC had frozen. On reboot no internet connection to the wired PC but wirelessly connected laptop working fine. Played around to the best of my limited ability but got nowhere.

On Sunday I reset the router and started again and all installed as before connection dropped after about 4 hours! So last night decided to again reset the router and this time connect up entirely manually. All working a treat (according to Mozilla Firefox broadband test 18 mb on wired machine while daughter was streaming the BBC iPlayer upstairs on the laptop) but got up this morning and the same problem.

Normally when I've network issues in the past its been the wireless items that been the problem but here it seems to be the wired machine. Not even sure who to contact for advice since cable clearly working and the router. Is it my PC?

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.
montehampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2009, 09:37   #2
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers
Re: Netgear WRN 2000 Router problem

This should be in the general Networking section, and the problem is not with a Virgin Media service or equipment.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 10:02   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

thread moved

Has the router got current firmware?

What is running on the wired PC? Could something be "overloadeing" a connection such as P2P?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 10:09   #4
montehampster
Inactive

Yes firmware updated on installation.

Only thing running on the PC is a Logitch Squeezebox for streaming music but that has to be "switched on" - the loss of service is when this is off. Its not even automatically scheduled updates IE anti virus that causes it as far as I can tell.
Old 22-01-2009, 12:27   #5
montehampster
Inactive

Just a thought - could it be a cable problem?

I'm using an "old" cable from PC to router (Netgear supplied yellow cable from modem router) - not a home to check any markings - although it does work flawlessly when connected direct to modem.

Getting desperate!
Old 22-01-2009, 20:52   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by montehampster View Post
Just a thought - could it be a cable problem?

I'm using an "old" cable from PC to router (Netgear supplied yellow cable from modem router) - not a home to check any markings - although it does work flawlessly when connected direct to modem.

Getting desperate!
I know that the recommended cable to use with that router is a CAT6 ethernet cable.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 08:45   #7
montehampster
Inactive

The router came with a Cat 5 cable and I've tried swopping out the PC to router cable with a new Cat 5 (borrowed from work) but it made no difference. Don't have access to a Cat 6 and loathe to shell out more money at this stage.

Netgear support said: -

"I understand that your wired internet connection drops through PC. Regarding your concern, I would suggest you follow below steps to reduce mtu size settings on router:

Change MTU size on the router using the steps below:

1. Open the browser (Internet Explorer or Netscape)
2. Access the router (usually http://192.168.1.1)
3. Login to the router (User Name = admin Password = password unless you have changed it)
4. Click on the "WAN Setup"
5. Change the MTU size to 1492
6. Click Apply
7. Logout of the router

If the current MTU size does not provide a good result you may try decreasing the MTU size by a random number till 900 to check which ever suits your connection the best. You need not reboot the router after each setup. It is simply required to Apply the setting changes.

It made absolutely no difference. I can see me having to battle with PC World for an exchange to a Belkin!
Old 26-01-2009, 09:11   #8
montehampster
Inactive

Thanks for all the advice.

After a few days of exchanging emails Netgear have confirmed router has a hardware fault and I've obtained a full refund from PC World.

Reinstalled the old Belkin router and amazed how quick it is now running! Saved myself a few quid!