Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 15-07-2023, 10:48   #11371
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Report: TNT Sports bids to oust Sky as Super League’s UK broadcast partner
UK rugby league top flight 'disappointed' by Sky’s offer to extend deal beyond 2023.
https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...tv-rights-sky/

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Will be interesting to see what Viaplay decides about its UK operation. I could envisage a sale to DAZN.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/crunch-week-for-viaplay/
I wonder if WBD would be allowed to buy them or some kind of partnership perhaps integrated into Discovery+

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 15-07-2023 at 10:59.
TimeLord2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2023, 11:16   #11372
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
I wonder if WBD would be allowed to buy them or some kind of partnership perhaps integrated into Discovery+
I think the only objection might come from the rights holders who might seek to take back control of their rights in the event of a change of ownership. I don't think the competition authorities would be too concerned as most sports fans' complaints are that there are too many sports services, not too few.

However, would it be financially worthwhile for WBD? I doubt it. The only interested buyers I can envisage are DAZN and at a pinch, the previous owners of Premier Sports.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 11:29   #11373
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Rumours are that Disney are interested in returning to the UK sports scene. ESPN are reportedly after a Premier League contract and were linked to BT Sport before WBD swooped.
Aguero9320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 11:40   #11374
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Rumours are that Disney are interested in returning to the UK sports scene. ESPN are reportedly after a Premier League contract and were linked to BT Sport before WBD swooped.

They are

Quote:
Wells Fargo analyst Steven Cahall wrote Thursday that selling the linear assets would improve Disney’s CAGR (which looks at the growth rate of a company) to more than 20 percent. The ABC Network, its local stations, FX, Freeform and Disney’s 50 percent stake in A+E Networks are all seen by Cahall as up for grabs.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ss-1235535343/
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 11:45   #11375
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

It's much complicated in the US , They can't just close them down like other countries.
Old 15-07-2023, 11:47   #11376
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I think the only objection might come from the rights holders who might seek to take back control of their rights in the event of a change of ownership. I don't think the competition authorities would be too concerned as most sports fans' complaints are that there are too many sports services, not too few.

However, would it be financially worthwhile for WBD? I doubt it. The only interested buyers I can envisage are DAZN and at a pinch, the previous owners of Premier Sports.
Quote:
If Viaplay do axe the UK business I feel the media rights will go back to their holders then resold to a other broadcaster - Hope Scottish Cups rights goes to Sky Sports or TNT Sports

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Quote:
It's much complicated in the US , They can't just close them down like other countries.
Like OLDBOY would say LIVE TV broadcasting channels is on they way out so ever say ever.

Disney Mulls Selling Indian TV & Streaming Business

https://deadline.com/2023/07/disney-...ss-1235437059/
Old 15-07-2023, 11:49   #11377
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

Quote:

I wonder how much they paid for Premier Sports.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
If Viaplay do axe the UK business I feel the media rights will go back to their holders then resold to a other broadcaster - Hope Scottish Cups rights goes to Sky Sports or TNT Sports

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Will they did in the UK.

Disney Mulls Selling Indian TV & Streaming Business

https://deadline.com/2023/07/disney-...ss-1235437059/
National Geographic and National Geographic Wild somehow still exist in the UK

Continue to close down channels in other channels

https://tbivision.com/2023/06/14/dis...n-south-korea/

I honestly can't see Disney buying linear channels in the UK, content is different , they continue to commission UK content for Disney+.
Old 15-07-2023, 11:54   #11378
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
I wonder how much they paid for Premier Sports.
£30m in cash.

https://advanced-television.com/2022...remier-sports/
Old 15-07-2023, 12:10   #11379
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I very much doubt it. As others have said, Disney is more of a seller of broadcast assets at the moment.

No harm in a Premier League club or two talking up the story to keep WBD and Comcast on their toes, though.
Old 15-07-2023, 22:09   #11380
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Will be interesting to see what Viaplay decides about its UK operation. I could envisage a sale to DAZN.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/crunch-week-for-viaplay/
Been thinking all day about this here is my own views on what may happen to Viaplay UK:

*Close Viaplay UK and give sports rights back to owners for them to resell rights.
*Axe Viaplay Sports UK Channels and move online only.
*Look into Selling Viaplay UK to BeIN Sports.
*Look into merge with TNT Sports or DAZN.
Old 18-07-2023, 11:56   #11381
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

TNT Sports is also available via discoveryplus from today for £29.99p/m the pack includes all discovery contents plus the former BT Sport channels

https://get.discoveryplus.com/gb/wat...nner-subscribe

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

TNT Sports have appointed Laura Woods as lead presenter for its Champions League and boxing coverage, whilst Ally McCoist has also joined TNT Sports as co-commentator and a pundit for the Premier League and Champions League.

Jules Breach will take over as Europa League presenter

Lynsey Hipgrave will host the Premier League matches
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 13:51   #11382
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

I’d imagine if the UK operation is sold in full, with subscriber base, the contracts will be watertight enough that the rights move to the new owner.

With so many “deep pockets” streamers out there looking to develop their offerings it’d be foolish to not write up the possibility that a bigger player hoovers them up for the day in, day out content.

Obviously if they cease operating that’s a different kettle of fish.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 13:55   #11383
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

My sources has told me today Microsoft are looking into enter the TV market and have their eyes on DAZN and Netflix.
Old 19-07-2023, 22:01   #11384
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I very much doubt it. As others have said, Disney is more of a seller of broadcast assets at the moment.

No harm in a Premier League club or two talking up the story to keep WBD and Comcast on their toes, though.
And to further rule out Disney, ESPN Player has announced it's closing down in the MENA region which includes the UK.
https://www.espnplayer.com/espnplayer/help.jsp
Old 19-07-2023, 22:06   #11385
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

Not suprised by the closure, they can add the content to Disney+

There is some ESPN Documentaries on there, Apparently a new ESPN event link was added to the Disney+ sitemap a while back.

No mention of UK broadcaster for NCAA , No sign of any ESPN branded programming on TNT Sports in the next 2 weeks, has the deal ended/not been renewed?

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 19-07-2023 at 22:16.