Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Losing Internet connection driving me up the wall !!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Losing Internet connection driving me up the wall !!!

Old 17-10-2007, 08:37   #1
VirtualMusician
Inactive

VirtualMusician is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Losing Internet connection driving me up the wall !!!

Hi All,

Appologies if this has already been asked but I have read through many other articles and can't find anything that matches my issue.

I have a wireless router hooked up to a vigrin cable modem. I use 2 laptops and 2 pcs all connecting wirelessly.

My problem is that sinse a few weeks ago the router is randomly losing the internet connection. I have no problems with the laptops or PCs connecting to the router. When I check the router status I have no IP or DNS. If I plug my laptop straight into the modem it still doesn't work until I reboot the modem and (believe it or not) swap the ends of the ethernet cable around from the modem to the laptop. It then comes up. This doesn't necessarily mean the router then works. This does appear to be random but giving it a restart does usually force the router to get the settings.

I had a Linksys and have just bought a new Belkin but I have exactly the same problem with both. Everything had been fine for 18 months until recently.

Anybody PLEASE got any ideas !!!!
Thanks in advance.
VirtualMusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2007, 15:00   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Losing Internet connection driving me up the wall !!!

to Cable Forum

The issue here is determining whether it is your internet service that is at fault, or whether something you are doing on your network, or perhaps your router itself, is killing the router's links to the broadband.

You do have to reboot the modem every time you change the device that is directly connected to it. That's just the way it works.

You'll have to test your connection and that means for a while running using just one computer connected direct to the modem, forgetting the router and rest of the network. If that is disconnecting then you can truly start to suspect the modem / broadband service.

Virgin Medai don't "support" routers, so if you suspect a fault with their service, you mustn't mention the router word if you call Broadband Tech Support, and mustn't have it connected. It's not that you aren't allowed to use a router, just Virgin Media won't help you if there are problems with it use.

If the modem to PC connection run over a period of time remains stable then you need to start looking at the router setup, perhaps the ethernet leads in use, and most importantly what types of traffic your network is generating that could be overwhelming something.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 17:12   #3
VirtualMusician
Inactive

VirtualMusician is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info ... I can confirm that connecting my laptop straight to the modem works fine .... I have had to do this on many occasions of late just to get onto the internet ..... I have just spoken to Linksys who say itis the firware that needs updating but I already have the latest version ... go figure !!
VirtualMusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 23:51   #4
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

Heh.. yeah... and get used to reinstalling that firmware upgrade file every time the router decides it's going to be a royal PITA... we had ours for just over a year... and in that time, the only thing to cure it's little 'problem' was constantly reinstalling the firmware upgrade file... it was fun at first... but then it got to doing it every single day... and then twice a day... and then we ended up having to get a new router... a d-link...
I can almost install that firmware upgrade in my sleep...!

Seriously.. I cant emphasise it enough about that firmware upgrade thing on the linksys.. it's the only way to keep it going... have you had it long? I know they're not supposed to die so young, but there have been router issues associated with linksys... not entirely sure right now how widespread the problem is... but... if I were you do NOT get rid of the last firmware upgrade....!

^^ driven crazy
squirrel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote