Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin router - I want to add a computer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin router - I want to add a computer

Old 10-10-2007, 09:06   #1
stripes
cf.addict

stripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enough
Belkin router - I want to add a computer

Hello all.

I have a Mac running through a Belkin 4-port wired router to cable modem, and IT WORKS well, and has for 9 months or so.

We've recently acquired a 2nd hand Mac laptop, and I want to plug it in to the router to access the www. Should I be aware of any pitfalls, or is it just a question of plugging it in and off we go?

(Just a by the way: I have a router purely because I had enormous problems with ntl/virgin who wouldn't accept that I couldn't bypass their old MAC lock, and the only work-round was to buy and install a router, which fooled them and worked).

Thanks.

Allen.
stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15   #2
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Belkin router - I want to add a computer

Just plug it in. You should be covered by the inbuilt firewall, although extra security on your laptop never hurts. Don't forget antivirus.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:02   #3
stripes
cf.addict

stripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enough

Thanks, southwell.

I wasn't even thinking about security, but it is a point now you've mentioned it.

(Smug Mac users don't get too twitchy about viruses...)

No, it was just that when I set up the original Mac, it was quite a complicated procedure, involving logging on to the Belkin site, cloning a MAC address, etc., etc. Anyway, I'll just plug it in and see, so I might be back!

Allen.
Old 12-10-2007, 21:36   #4
vivekns007
Inactive

vivekns007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Hello all.

I have a Mac running through a Belkin 4-port wired router to cable modem, and IT WORKS well, and has for 9 months or so.

We've recently acquired a 2nd hand Mac laptop, and I want to plug it in to the router to access the www. Should I be aware of any pitfalls, or is it just a question of plugging it in and off we go?

(Just a by the way: I have a router purely because I had enormous problems with ntl/virgin who wouldn't accept that I couldn't bypass their old MAC lock, and the only work-round was to buy and install a router, which fooled them and worked).

Thanks.

Allen.
Hi
I am vivek, just connect u r mac computer with Ethernet or rj-45 to wired router..and u will be able to go online..
I not, once connected check the ip add..
click apple icon, system preference, network, then under configure select Ethernet adapter, under TCP/IP select using DHCP, and router will give ip address in the range 192.168.2.X and mask as 255.255.255.0 and router as 192.168.2.1.. .
You will be abel to go online, if router is connected to internet ..
Not to worry about firewalls..
thnx
vivek
vivekns007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 05:51   #5
stripes
cf.addict

Thanks Vivek.

All up and running, no problems.

Allen.