Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Slow Kable Net

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Slow Kable Net

Old 25-07-2008, 13:48   #1
Fezza_8600
Inactive

Services: Kable Bro
Fezza_8600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Slow Kable Net

Hey everyone
For around 1-2 months now, my internet has been reduced to a crawl. My internet loading pages are fine thanks to a Firefox speed tweak, however online gaming is really bad as I disconnect about every 5 minutes I join a server or connection keeps getting interrupted and I jump from one place to another in my First Person Shooter games.

I have noticed one thing, whenever I plug in an Ethernet cable, my speeds are perfectly fine... I can play online gaming perfectly. My wireless connection is the one playing up.

I've tried:
-Virus/Anti-Spyware/Malware Scans
-Re-installing wireless network drivers.
-Uninstalling Antivirus/AntiSpyware/Disabling them.
-Resetting modem

I have tried other minor things although they barely aid to the alleviation of this problem.

Can anyone please help out?
Thanks everyone.
Looking forward to some helpful responses.
Fezza_8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2008, 14:16   #2
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age
Re: Slow Kable Net

New Router required? Upgrade Router firmware?

You don't tell us what hardware you have.

Oh and Cable isn't spelled with a K.
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 14:17   #3
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla View Post
New Router required? Upgrade Router firmware?

You don't tell us what hardware you have.

Oh and Cable isn't spelled with a K.
I think the OP's Aussie ISP is though.
Old 25-07-2008, 14:30   #4
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Wasn't able to find an ISP beginning with a K

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=list

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

But if it us, I take it back
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 09:20   #5
Fezza_8600
Inactive

No no... I spelled cable with Kable for no specific reason. I know how it's spelled. Anyway, how are you supposed to update a router's firmware. A new router won't help us, we use a wireless one and they are expensive to get long rage signals.

My ISP is Optus by the way.

My hardware is this.

Core 2 Duo e6550
2046MB Kingston RAM
Gigabyte 8600 GT
Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L.

Wireless Network Card: D-Link Airplus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.C)

That network card has all drivers updated.
Thank you.
Old 26-07-2008, 10:07   #6
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

You will always get some ping increase with wireless gaming.
What sort of signal strength are you getting as a weaker signal could explain the dropouts under load.

Do you have any other wireless devices such as cordless phones or cell phone nearby?

It may be worth changing your wireless to a different channel to see if it behaves any better. Another thing worth investigating is a directional aerial which will focus the signal towards the router rather than using the default omnidirectional antenna.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 09:12   #7
Fezza_8600
Inactive

^^No... The problem only just occured recently. Wireless internet/gaming was absolutely perfect before, it seems that it just happened suddenly. It was around 1-2 months ago when I tried doing everything I could think of...

My signal strength is around Good-Very good and speeds are around 36-48mbps.. I keep my mobile phone nearby. The antenna is adjustable and is always pointed to my router.

Although, the problem occured just 1-2 months ago. Everything before that, wireless AND ethernet internet/gaming speeds were perfectly fine. Also this problem occured before around 5-6 months ago, however I fixed it by uninstalling my antivirus (which was Symantec at the time).

Thank you.
Old 27-07-2008, 09:37   #8
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

have you tried a channel change though?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 09:41   #9
Fezza_8600
Inactive

^ What does that mean? Selecting another network off the list available for the wireless connection?
Old 27-07-2008, 11:05   #10
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza_8600 View Post
^ What does that mean? Selecting another network off the list available for the wireless connection?
Changing the channel in your router, login and change it.
Old 27-07-2008, 12:57   #11
Fezza_8600
Inactive

Ok... What's a channel. What benefits from it being changed. How can I get access 'into' the router.

Sorry but I need background info on this before I get started, so I know what I'm working on.

Thanks!
Old 27-07-2008, 13:05   #12
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Wireless routers typically operate across a number of frequencies, usually allocated across channels numbered 1 to 11 (sometimes 1 to 13).

Your router will have been set up to operate on a default channel by the manufacturer, and probably hasn't been changed since.
If someone else near you has a router operating on the same channel, or on one near to it, you will get interference from their router and will experience loss of signal every now and then.

Look at the instructions for your router, there should be some sort of administrative interface (usually the bit where you set up the security options etc) which should allow you to change the channel that the router is operating on.

Try the available channels one at a time, leaving each for a day or so in order that you can see how it's working, and see which gives the best results.

You may need to reboot the router and/or other wireless devices when you change channel to ensure that they have all changed to match the channel on the router.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 13:13   #13
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza_8600 View Post
Ok... What's a channel. What benefits from it being changed. How can I get access 'into' the router.

Sorry but I need background info on this before I get started, so I know what I'm working on.

Thanks!
You quoted your PC hardware but I couldn't see the router make/model anywhere, what is it?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 13:14   #14
Fezza_8600
Inactive

@ Rob, Thanks man, good explanation, and that will help me. I'll do that tomorrow cause I have to sleep soon (Aussie time...) Don't think I'll leave it anytime soon... I'll let you know how it goes...

If there are 11-13 channels, and I leave one on everyday, does that mean I let you know in 2 weeks? How often should you be updated?

@ Kevin: I don't really know it now, however it is one of these.http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...ssRouters.aspx. They all look the same and probably are similar.... It's the one with only 1 antenna.
Old 27-07-2008, 13:20   #15
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Yeah, I would be tempted to give each one at least a day. Start as far away (numerically) from the current channel as possible, as that's the place you're more likely to find 'clear air' if you see what I mean. As you get closer to the channel you're on now you should find that the problems increase again.

As for updating us.....as often as you want
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote