Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router issue

Old 06-12-2015, 21:49   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Router issue

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have an ASUS AC66U router with the latest firmware.

My issue is for no reason every now and then the wireless just drops and all devices on the wireless just drop off including our phones, mobiles, laptops and tablets.

So far this month i have witnessed this 4 times and my sons boyfriend said it also dropped once when i was not home.

Is there any sort of tests i can run on the router to see if its problematic?

Thanks
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2015, 15:42   #2
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Router issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have an ASUS AC66U router with the latest firmware.

My issue is for no reason every now and then the wireless just drops and all devices on the wireless just drop off including our phones, mobiles, laptops and tablets.

So far this month i have witnessed this 4 times and my sons boyfriend said it also dropped once when i was not home.

Is there any sort of tests i can run on the router to see if its problematic?

Thanks
Hi Alan, I would switch to using this fork of the Merlin ASUS firmware:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/for...e-v15e5.18914/

I have a N66U and this is by far the best firmware for these models. You will get better range and better stability compared to the ASUS stock firmware.

We have all sorts of wired and wireless device attached to this router and not one has had a connection problem on 2.4 or 5 GHz
Old 07-12-2015, 21:15   #3
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

I totally agree with ianch99 on this the Merlin firmware is the best, I also am using it on my AC3200
Old 07-12-2015, 21:21   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have the Asus RT-N66U and have never had any issues.

Check for a firmware update, and even try a factory reset.
Old 11-12-2015, 00:32   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

How do i update to the Merlin one?

i once flashed a router to DDWRT and it was a hastle i had to flash using one file and then update to another.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:34   #6
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How do i update to the Merlin one?

i once flashed a router to DDWRT and it was a hastle i had to flash using one file and then update to another.
You do it the same way you would load a new version of the Asus software. A factory reset would be advisable.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 15:55   #7
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
You do it the same way you would load a new version of the Asus software. A factory reset would be advisable.
Make sure you get the right Merlin version. There is the main Merlin firmware but there is a fork of this maintained by john9527 (here). This is the one you want as it uses the "old" wireless driver that has much better range than the one used in the latest ASUS and Merlin versions ..
Old 11-12-2015, 20:11   #8
alanbjames
R.I.P.

i downloaded and installed the latest merlin version and my connection is lightening quick compared to what it was. the router is a lot more responsive in the settings to, does Asus have bad coding in their firmware or something?
Old 11-12-2015, 20:19   #9
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
i downloaded and installed the latest merlin version and my connection is lightening quick compared to what it was. the router is a lot more responsive in the settings to, does Asus have bad coding in their firmware or something?
Did you use the Merlin firmware or John's fork of Merlin? Curious
Old 11-12-2015, 21:17   #10
alanbjames
R.I.P.

The one from Merlins site

http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/

latest build was November.

The reason i chose Merlin over the fork was wireless speeds.

While the fork was giving me a lower average ping of around 16ms i could only achieve a max of around 98mb wirelessly
Merlin has an average ping around 22ms and i can get around 187mb.