Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | QUERY: Cable Modem to Wireless Router....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

QUERY: Cable Modem to Wireless Router....

Old 01-01-2007, 21:32   #1
andrewwan1980
Inactive

andrewwan1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
QUERY: Cable Modem to Wireless Router....

I recently joined NTL Broadband 2MB ( http://home.ntl.com/) and they gave me a small Cable Modem (no brand name on it). I use Shareaza, eMule & BitComet to download my favourate Star Trek, etc. TV series. It seems fast, no restriction and no Firewall / NAT detection.

Now I want to buy a Wireless Router so that I can connect other PCs/laptops using wired & wireless ways. However there are so many Wireless Routers and not sure which to chose. A friend has a "ZyXel Prestige 660HW ADSL2+ Wireless Router" ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=NW-016-ZY) and his Shareaza was so slow and restricted with messages of Firewall & NAT detected.

So am wondering what is the best Wireless Router that has the minimal Firewall/NAT restriction/hassle related to Shareaza, eMule or BitComet.
andrewwan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2007, 21:36   #2
mr_bo
Inactive

Services: V+ | o2 BB
mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one
Re: QUERY: Cable Modem to Wireless Router....

Linksys WRT54 is a very popular router around here
mr_bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 21:36   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

I use a netgear with no problem, Netgear or Linksys will probably be your best bet.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 22:07   #4
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I use a netgear with no problem, Netgear or Linksys will probably be your best bet.
Another vote here for Linksys
Old 02-01-2007, 07:41   #5
bob_a_builder
Inactive

bob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to behold

you may already be aware, but once the router is in place you will need to open the required ports to let those apps thru

e.g
LINK
bob_a_builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:07   #6
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bo View Post
Linksys WRT54 is a very popular router around here
The WRT54GL, not the latest G or GS
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13   #7
rocket-ronnie
Inactive

Services: virgin media customer yeh!!!!
rocket-ronnie is an unknown quantity at this point

yes linksys is the one
WRT54G is smart
rocket-ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:17   #8
mr_bo
Inactive

mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm View Post
The WRT54GL, not the latest G or GS
Just generalising, my GS is fine. A quick Google for WRT54 will suffice imo.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:37   #9
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

I would go for a Linksys too
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 17:01   #10
Scopeuk
Inactive

Scopeuk is on a distinguished roadScopeuk is on a distinguished road

remember you want a cable router not an adsl router as you specified above
Scopeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 17:26   #11
157taff
Inactive

157taff is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,Ive been told that Linskys are unreliable due to the power adapter overheating and failing added to that the cus ser is not up 2 much so more probs there.. A dual band cable modem would be the way 2 go i think..I have a 'Peak' dual router that works fine so lay off the branded stuff..costs too much just for a name!
157taff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 20:58   #12
rocket-ronnie
Inactive

Services: virgin media customer yeh!!!!
rocket-ronnie is an unknown quantity at this point

also netgear have a nice whire router well smart but it may be for adsl but they may do one for cable, wait a while for me to read up.
rocket-ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 21:59   #13
mr_bo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157taff View Post
Hi,Ive been told that Linskys are unreliable due to the power adapter overheating and failing added to that the cus ser is not up 2 much so more probs there.. A dual band cable modem would be the way 2 go i think..I have a 'Peak' dual router that works fine so lay off the branded stuff..costs too much just for a name!
What a load of bull.
I have never had or heard of any of my mates adapter overheating.
What large corp company cs is up to much?
How can £45 (thats what I paid) be too much for a reliable router with decent wireless range and can handle a full 10mb download?
Old 03-01-2007, 16:35   #14
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

in the world of routers i have noticed that all makes, shapes, sizes are just as likely to go wrong as any other....
having installed 200+ routers now i still cant suggest a brand to anyone sure dlink draytek zyl linksys (cisco) netgear belkin all make nice gear but its so random on how well it will work....
and thats just cable routers dont get me started on adsl routers/modems and line length - but i do admit the zyxel adsl gear is very nice for long line length signals.
as for the wireless side of thing - so many factors that can make it all go wrong - firmware - security - drivers on the pc's etc etc

my last words would be - i dont have much luck with netgear or linksys i also find the linksys interface lacking. but thats just me
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote