Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Boosting Speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Boosting Speeds

Old 01-07-2023, 11:33   #166
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Boosting Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
So if I read that right, they are also upgrading all the existing HFC areas by 2028.
That development alone gives me, and some others, a number of symmetrical connection choices:

1. CityFibre local network linked to its national network,
2. CityFibre local network linked to Vodafone national network and, by 2028,
3. Virgin Media symmetrical FTTP.

Either way, I would be very happy with a low ping, low jitter, symmetrical 1Gbps. ATM City Fibre's national network combined with local seems the most promising, given that they are building from scratch with future-proofing at the heart of the network. So, when my VF contract runs out in Spring 2024 I may well swap to an ISP the uses that. VF's national network is beset by load balancing issues where, without warning, users find themselves with high pings on a BNG located at the other side of the country. I'll look at VM again when they upgrade our HFC to FTTP, but without TV or phone.

Most of residential customers have absolutely no need for a symmetrical 10Gbps, but we have seen broadband upgrades spawning applications that need that capacity, so who knows?

Last edited by roughbeast; 01-07-2023 at 12:26.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-07-2023, 14:24   #167
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Virgin Media have today boosted their fastest Wi-Fi guarantee from 20Mbps to 30Mbps it applies to all Virgin Volt or Gig 1 broadband bundles M50-M500 packages can take the guarantee for an extra £8 per month

If you fail to get 30Mbps in a room, you can up to three Wi-Fi Pods at no extra cost and if they don't work you'll get £100 credit on your next bill
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 14:42   #168
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I'm getting almost 400 Mb from my 350
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 17:04   #169
humey
cf.member

humey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enough

OfCourse you as there is 10% Contention on added of the Config file due to Ofcom rules.
humey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 11:48   #170
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Virgin Media are expanding their XGS-PON network to Crewe via its wholesale partner nexfibre
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 13:07   #171
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Have the 100mbit upload now, didnt get an email and it wasnt automatic, rebooted the modem and its now there. I maybe last rebooted about 3-4 weeks ago so the activation would have been somewhere in between.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 22:45   #172
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I have the 1G now, but so far the fastest I've seen is 750M.
I've managed 100M on the upload a couple of times, briefly.

At some point I'll cut out the router (for a test) to see if thats limiting my download.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 07:55   #173
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I have the 1G now, but so far the fastest I've seen is 750M.
I've managed 100M on the upload a couple of times, briefly.

At some point I'll cut out the router (for a test) to see if thats limiting my download.
Maybe as speeds increase such as 1G, downloading could be faster than your hard drive can write so it'll be bottlenecked at that point.
Old 21-08-2023, 08:12   #174
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Maybe as speeds increase such as 1G, downloading could be faster than your hard drive can write so it'll be bottlenecked at that point.
hard drive? you living in the noughties hahaha

My download drives theoretical maximum is over 5 gig
Old 21-08-2023, 08:17   #175
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
hard drive? you living in the noughties hahaha

My download drives theoretical maximum is over 5 gig
Some people are still using 5400rpm drives.

I have SAMSUNG 990 PRO M.2s so no I ain't living in the noughties... haha.

Last edited by peanut; 21-08-2023 at 08:28.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 08:37   #176
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Some people are still using 5400rpm drives.

I have SAMSUNG 990 PRO M.2s so no I ain't living in the noughties... haha.
I was only joking hahaha I serviced a laptop with a mechanical drive the other week. By golly I dunno how we ever coped with them haha
Old 21-08-2023, 08:54   #177
peanut
NUTS !!

I have a lot of external USB 3.0 mechanical drives (probably around a dozen of them) and a few external SSDs, all mainly for storage. I'm a bit of hoarder.

I agree with you, what used to be the normal they are now a real chore to use.

My last PC had only SSDs and mechanical drives. I used to download to the mechanic drives as they were bigger in capacity obviously (costs) but my download speeds were affected, it just seesawed with buffering and never quite reached it's maximum speed before dropping off to the buffer. So it can affect download speeds in general. Some cheap SSDs can also have this effect too. (It could also be drivers etc too that affect speeds).

Last edited by peanut; 21-08-2023 at 10:29. Reason: Splling
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 17:10   #178
humey
cf.member

humey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enough

Even the WD RED drives at 5.4k will be fine as they are far faster than 1Gb/s (112-125Mb/s).

I use all SSD's apart from extremal backup which is WD Red Plus 7.2k in Raid 0.

humey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 20:54   #179
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I think all my drives are faster than that.
I'm also testing with the thinkbroadband speedtest, I dont think that uses any drives ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 21:32   #180
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Have you tried SamKnows?
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote