Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Boosting Speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Boosting Speeds

Old 14-06-2023, 12:18   #151
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Boosting Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
Post #144 in this thread about Vodafone speed.
I have that user on 'ignore' because he posts nonsense most of the time, but just to see what you were looking at, I un-ignored him.

The screenshot he posted appears to be for the Vodafone/CityFibre 500Mb product, so you would only expect roughly half of VM's top shelf product. I am on VF's 900Mb product. In practice I get >940Mb in both directions, in non-peak times. The downstream speed is similar to what I got when I was with VM taking into account overheads and that my switches and cards can't handle more than 1Gb.

His ping of 20ms is poor. I can only assume that he was using wifi during his test.[COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by roughbeast; 14-06-2023 at 12:59.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-06-2023, 13:01   #152
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Where i live there is no alternative to Virgin at higher speeds., I will look at what is available when my contract runs out, but that’s not for another year yet.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 17:02   #153
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

No alternative to Virgin 1GB here in Swansea. BT have been saying they are updating their network for 2 years but nothings come of it.

Here is my speedtest on 1GB Product....

Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 18:06   #154
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
Pointless and worthless Umlaut.

vodafone seem much better overall.

Virgin received the accolade of being the fastest ISP because of the large population able to receive it's top speeds. There are other ISPs offering faster speeds all around, but they don't yet have so many customers.
Old 14-06-2023, 18:32   #155
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Virgin received the accolade of being the fastest ISP because of the large population able to receive it's top speeds. There are other ISPs offering faster speeds all around, but they don't yet have so many customers.
Agreed but there needs to be a network in place to support the faster speeds for other providers and Swansea doesn't have that yet.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 23:51   #156
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I think that was Vodaphone mobile (5G ?) given the upload speed.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 07:57   #157
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I think that was Vodaphone mobile (5G ?) given the upload speed.
Not sure about that, I got a Vodafone SIM as they show 5G coverage here in Woking. Their coverage checker is wrong. They were supposed to go live in Woking when they went live in Guildford but didn’t. Why bother updating the coverage checker so it actually reflects reality?

I still get 200 Gb for less than £9 a month and get 5G elsewhere and, as no one else does 5G round here I can’t do much about it anyway.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 15:58   #158
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

ee have today soft launched the UK's first 1.6Gbps Fibre-to-the-Premises broadband using the Openreach network the speeds will be brought via a Wi-Fi 6 capable Smart Hub Plus

Whilst it will offer 1.6Gbps download, the upload speed will be limited to 120Mbps
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 18:04   #159
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I'm quite looking forward to the Openreach infrastructure being finished by me, it'll be good to see the other opportunities open to me.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 19:00   #160
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

We've got Openreach fibre, but I'm waiting for Cityfibre to hit my area personally, looking at the planned works they aren't far from me now.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 04:57   #161
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

It didnt take VM long it seems, advertising 100mbit upload in 50mbit areas, and shows 104mbit in portal to people who havent got the upgrade yet. I guess old habits dont die.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 11:55   #162
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Virgin Media have today announced the rollout of XGS-PON technology for all new connections supporting speeds of up to 10Gbps.

New connections do not include areas which are already on the older VM network using DOCSIS 3.1 or RFoG
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 12:29   #163
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Virgin Media have today announced the rollout of XGS-PON technology for all new connections supporting speeds of up to 10Gbps.

New connections do not include areas which are already on the older VM network using DOCSIS 3.1 or RFoG
Here's a link. https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...20Coax%20(HFC)
Old 30-06-2023, 14:15   #164
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

So if I read that right, they are also upgrading all the existing HFC areas by 2028.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 14:42   #165
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
So if I read that right, they are also upgrading all the existing HFC areas by 2028.
From what I’ve read yes it’ll be available, but the networks will co-exist for a period there isn’t an end date for HFC.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote