Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dropouts and logging oddities...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Dropouts and logging oddities...

Old 24-05-2021, 02:50   #1
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice
Dropouts and logging oddities...

Morning Chaps!
Just wondering if anyone else had seen this sort of behaviour before...

A little background - The heavy utilisation on the graph seemed to start around the time I started a VM trial a few months back (pods). That spike seems to crop up almost every night, and doesn't tally with any of my home backup tasks etc. Perhaps a diagnostic upload dump, I thought at the time...

The last few nights I've seen drops and oddities. I had drops every night (just after midnight) a couple of months back, but VM insisted it was because of my poor levels - They were bad, but weren't causing the drops as far as I could see.

Hub3 is showing a red LED (not pink) - I'm in modem mode, but no idea what that means, VM don't seem to know either!

Downstream is now from 0>-2 dBmV, Upstream from 42>44.

The T3/T4's aren't great, but what the devil is an ATOM restart?
When the connection dies, it'll sit for at least 10mins before it (might) come back with packet loss, or by then I've normally power-cycled. No LED status change or ping to 100.1 at that point.

Tom
944fc9a739f6aa2cf7e0ec0b933ed5384d8cb611.png

Spoiler: 
Most Recent Logs:
Time Priority Description
23/05/2021 23:17 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out
23/05/2021 23:16 notice NOTICE ATOM is restarted as part of Self Healing Mechanism
23/05/2021 23:08 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out
23/05/2021 23:06 Warning! Lost MDD Timeout;
23/05/2021 23:06 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;
23/05/2021 23:06 Warning! RCS Partial Service;
23/05/2021 23:06 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;
23/05/2021 02:30 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
23/05/2021 02:29 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;
23/05/2021 02:23 Warning! Lost MDD Timeout;
23/05/2021 02:22 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;
23/05/2021 02:22 Warning! RCS Partial Service;
23/05/2021 02:22 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;
22/05/2021 15:17 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
21/05/2021 22:56 Error DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;
21/05/2021 07:36 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
20/05/2021 07:20 Warning! Lost MDD Timeout;
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2021, 21:39   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Dropouts and logging oddities...

Well that is just ****. There is obviously a potential for something to go wrong and they have introduced monitoring software/self diagnostic tool to remedy it without a disconnect and calls to tech support. I just hope they are tracking the frequency of the reboots and do something about it. I bet they are hoping that the majority of people won't notice the automatic restarts and as long as the connection comes back up they wont complain.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 14:35   #3
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

If anyone was curious, a little update post-new hub!

VM sent a man out within two days(!), so not too shabby. They're fresh out of stock and can't send out any new ones (so an engineer has to visit - they must be chuffed...)

In the engineers opinion the RED light is indeed meant for overheating - But clearly this isn't always the case...

Apparently (just after) 12 midnight is indeed the time the hubs update their software/firmware - So some clarity there!

Other users have apparently complained of the same (locally) and recently, as VM update hubs by area (who knew!) - Anyone up late like myself is going to notice it, especially if it's failing.

If the updates fail, it'll try again on subsequent evenings until it succeeds. As far as the high utilisation goes, that occurred again yesterday at an unusual time, but didn't cause any drops. I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes. I still suspect the Hub's superpod software for those spikes...

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 23:33   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I would be interested to see the stats on network utilisation compared to a few years ago. They did a good job of catching up and adding extra capacity to the network to remedy all of the congestion issues. I am curious to know if they maintained the pace as they rolled out, 500, 600 and 1gbit tiers. Over the last few months there have many evenings when I haven't been able to do any gaming because it is constant disconnects and I had the same this afternoon. I just had to give up in the end and go and do something else.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote