Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | cant connect with router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

cant connect with router

Old 18-01-2006, 09:26   #1
spacedad28
Inactive

spacedad28 is an unknown quantity at this point
cant connect with router

I got connected to ntl broadband last night by connecting modem straight to pc...i got my ip address etc and everything was fine....i then moved my pc to another room and tried to connect via a wireless router..but the ip address has changed to 192.xxx.xxx and i cant get the old ip address back(unfortunately i didnt write the working ip address down)....i am unsure how the router works ,but when i switchit all on i qam getting the wireless connection working and good signal strength....i would be grateful for any help on htis at all..
spacedad28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2006, 09:57   #2
Grampy
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone M, TV L, V+ Box, BB L, Freeview on Digital TV, Freeview box in bedroom.
Grampy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: cant connect with router

Why not connect your computer back to the internet without the router then you can obtain the ip address.
Grampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 10:06   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Did you power everything off before connecting? You need to power all devices off, connect equipment as necessary, power up SACM or STB, allow the lights too lock and settle, power up router, let lights lock and settle and then power the PC up.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 10:12   #4
spacedad28
Inactive

i tried this last night and couldnt seem to get the 80.xx ip address back up..i'll try again today.....any idea how the router works....i see in network connections to have 2 connections..my ethernet and my wireless...do i need to do something to get the wireless connection to look at the ethernet ip address ..i really am lost withthis..and there is no clue in the pathetic manual provided..it is 1meg ntl and a Swiss router 11G...are they compatible?
Old 18-01-2006, 10:15   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Erm can you confirm the router as I just answered a post about a Sweex router which is ADSL and won't work with NTL. If you can get the make and model then we can look into it for you.
Old 18-01-2006, 10:18   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Moved to 'Computers & IT' (Routers are not an NTL network issue)

Hang on ... your PC should have an IP in the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx range because that is the internal IP range your router uses to establish a local area network in your home. (A Belkin router, for example, would give you 192.168.2.2 - other models will be similar but not necessarily exactly the same).

What you need to do is establish what IP address the router itself has got from NTL, and to do that you need to access the Router's configuration screen. On a Belkin this is 192.168.2.1. Others will be able to tell you the address of the config page for other models of router.

The main thing is, can you get web pages on your PC while you're wireless?
Please tell us exactly what make and model your router is, and what holes you have the various wires plugged into.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 10:20   #7
spacedad28
Inactive

Swiss wireless router 11G and the ethernet from the modem is plugged into the WAN socket on the back of the router.and i did have the web pages ok from modem to pc ..but lost the ip address when changed over to the router
Old 18-01-2006, 10:22   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

OK ... do you know the IP address of the router config screen (should be in the set-up documentation)?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 10:22   #9
Paul K
Inactive

Swiss wireless doesn't help much, does it have a brand name? If you have a manual it will say there (just type anything that looks useful in to your next post )
Old 18-01-2006, 10:24   #10
spacedad28
Inactive

crap manual..but could be LC000070 router 11G...i am back in work now and not at my home pc
Old 18-01-2006, 10:25   #11
Paul K
Inactive

Is it this?
If so we can look through the manual for help but I'm wondering if you powered all equipment down before connecting the router to your BB connection and PC?
Old 18-01-2006, 10:26   #12
spacedad28
Inactive

yes it is that peice of rubbish..lol
Old 18-01-2006, 10:32   #13
Paul K
Inactive

Did you power the PC and SACM or STB down prior to plugging everything in to the router/ PC?

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
OK ... do you know the IP address of the router config screen (should be in the set-up documentation)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the manual
Activate your browser, and disable the proxy or add the IP address of this product into the
exceptions. Then, type this productââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s IP address in the Location (for Netscape) or Address (for IE)
field and press ENTER. For example: http://192.168.123.254.
After the connection is established, you will see the web user interface of this product. There are two
appearances of web user interface: for general users and for system administrator.
To log in as an administrator, enter the system password (the factory setting is †adminÃ¢à‚¬Â) in the
System Password field and click on the Log in button. If the password is correct, the web appearance
will be changed into administrator configure mode. As listed in its main menu, there are several
options for system administration.
Old 18-01-2006, 10:33   #14
spacedad28
Inactive

i think i did..but maybe didnt do it in the right order..i shall try tonight...
If it all works properly...does the wirless link automatically pick up the ip address..just like plug and play or do i need to set configurations for anything....
Old 18-01-2006, 10:37   #15
Paul K
Inactive

Should run out of the box but if not just unplug it from the connection and come back. Tonight though, power off all device, power up STB or SACM (Which do you use by the way??), wait for lights to lock/ settle, power up router, wait for lights to lock and settle, power up PC, wait for everything to load etc and then fire up the browser.
Have you got a proxy set at all for IE, any firewall running etc?