Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 01-03-2023, 21:00   #2071
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: The energy crisis

I think Octopus are losing the plot.

I got an email today saying they have "accepted" the meter readings for my transfer to them.

Great .... except I havent requested any transfer to them.
Even better, they sent this message to my ancient IRESA email address.
They went out of business almost 5 years ago.

Best part is I went to their [Octopus] site, requested a password reset on that old address, and it worked !

I have no idea WTF are they doing ..........

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2023, 21:16   #2072
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

I got an email today saying they have "accepted" the meter readings for my transfer to them.

Best part is I went to their [Octopus] site, requested a password reset on that old address, and it worked !

On the site or app it should list your meters ID numbers do they match your current meters?
Old 01-03-2023, 21:16   #2073
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Were you with Bulb? If so, maybe they've sent you - and probably thousands of others - the wrong message.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 21:40   #2074
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Were you with Bulb? If so, maybe they've sent you - and probably thousands of others - the wrong message.
I was (I left them 3 weeks ago).
However, as I said, the email address they used is not my Bulb account address, its a very old IRESA address.

Old 01-03-2023, 22:42   #2075
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

@RichardCoulter

It can't be achieved on current form. People are twigging that they'll be caught short on long journeys, particularly when the en-route garages have their chargers already engaged with a half-hour wait or, worse, broken.

Public demand for hybrid petrol vehicles will likely force the government's hand to relent on the deadline date.

Trouble is, if the government doesn't smell the coffee soon enough, manufacturers will have reduced or stopped petrol car manufacturing.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:00   #2076
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
I was (I left them 3 weeks ago).
However, as I said, the email address they used is not my Bulb account address, its a very old IRESA address.
Guessing they got an out dated bulb database, maybe that email address was given as part of a previous WHD information? As the providers do work with the DWP for WHD.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 13:56   #2077
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
@RichardCoulter

It can't be achieved on current form. People are twigging that they'll be caught short on long journeys, particularly when the en-route garages have their chargers already engaged with a half-hour wait or, worse, broken.

Public demand for hybrid petrol vehicles will likely force the government's hand to relent on the deadline date.

Trouble is, if the government doesn't smell the coffee soon enough, manufacturers will have reduced or stopped petrol car manufacturing.

Uh huh…. Not sure where you got that from, however

https://heycar.co.uk/blog/electric-c...nd-projections

Also, The vast majority (circa 95%) of people that are EV owners charge solely at home

Most EV sat nav now comes with route planning inc charge stops which also includes real time availability of chargers , there’s also 3rd part apps such as zapmap & Chargemap

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

To add, I’m not proposing that EV’s in their current form work for everyone BUT in time things will improve making ownership acceptable to the masses.

In my car I can go from 5% to 80% charge in 21 minutes on the fastest chargers, which I generally only need to use if I’m driving somewhere like Maidenhead. Put the car in charge, nip to the loo, grab a coffee and a cigarette and I’m pretty much good to go.

Never had a problem with a charger being out of order or unavailable
Old 02-03-2023, 14:05   #2078
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Never had a problem with a charger being out of order or unavailable
Atm ....

The vast majority of cars dont need them, that will change.

Old 02-03-2023, 14:07   #2079
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

What worries me about an EV battery is the cost of replacement in an accident if the battery is damaged, something between 6k-10k I've heard mentioned, this could mean alot of cars get written off by the insurance companies.
Old 02-03-2023, 14:20   #2080
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Atm ....

The vast majority of cars dont need them, that will change.
That's fair, the infrastructure has to be scaled to keep up with as demand increases. At the moment we're way behind certain other countries such as the the Netherlands.

Tesla have already opened their supercharging network to Audi, now there are plans to open it further by the use of a 'magic connector'
Old 02-03-2023, 14:22   #2081
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

So I was moved over to Octopus from Bulb, no issues just had my £67 monthly DD taken from my bank(still called Bulb on the DD though) and also been debited the £67 for the energy support scheme.

No actual bill yet for the energy used.
Old 02-03-2023, 14:22   #2082
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
What worries me about an EV battery is the cost of replacement in an accident if the battery is damaged, something between 6k-10k I've heard mentioned, this could mean alot of cars get written off by the insurance companies.
Again, that's fair comment, however, insurance companies seem to be writing of more and more petrol/diesel cars when they suffer from less and less damage.
Old 02-03-2023, 17:01   #2083
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Again, that's fair comment, however, insurance companies seem to be writing of more and more petrol/diesel cars when they suffer from less and less damage.
My friend whom has had no end of problems with charging his car ,has gone back to petrol saying he will change back again once many more points are available. Looked for points to charge next time I go to see friends , totally hopeless , can't see it changing anytime soon , routes to quite to warrant them , perhaps a modern pony express model would work !!!!!
Old 02-03-2023, 19:06   #2084
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
My friend whom has had no end of problems with charging his car ,has gone back to petrol saying he will change back again once many more points are available. Looked for points to charge next time I go to see friends , totally hopeless , can't see it changing anytime soon , routes to quite to warrant them , perhaps a modern pony express model would work !!!!!
There’s always going to be cases such as that, but they’re not the norm infrastructure has to be improved in certain areas of the country and as EV’s continue to increase share it will, the tipping point will come
Old 02-03-2023, 20:22   #2085
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Still don't think most folks realise their bills are going to shoot up again in April. Warmer weather and lower wholesale energy prices, they might of thought different.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote