Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | general wireless setup queries, please advise

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

general wireless setup queries, please advise

Old 14-09-2006, 14:26   #1
loopyandandy
Inactive

loopyandandy is an unknown quantity at this point
general wireless setup queries, please advise

Hi guys and girls im new to the forum

I have a dell desktop pc which is very new. I have broadband supplied by tescos at 1mb and this is all very good for what i use it for. we generally use the computer to play World of warcraft online and the 1mb connection is more than adequate.

I have recently started to need a laptop for work so have decided to get one thats wireless ready. As a side issue i will also use it for online gaming alongside the desktop at the same time (2 users, we are addicted lol).

In readiness for the laptop arrival i have upgraded my internet connection to 2mb.

I need to get a wireless router i guess but have a few queries.

What speed router do i get?? will it work with the modem ?? (think its nec) what speed to i get, 54?? i was told 108 is a must for online gaming?

also how is the router ect connected?? im guessing the modem plugs into it? will i need to convert my desktop to wireless?? or can i still use cable in situ??

will i notice any decrease in game performance when both using it at same time? like i say at the minute 1mb is fine and i have doubled it in anticipation.

many thanks in advance - p.s i have not bought a router or laptop yet
andy
loopyandandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2006, 14:34   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: general wireless setup queries, please advise

to Cable Forum

Does your current ADSL modem use a USB or ethernet connection. You need the latter for a router. You can get ADSL modem based wireless routers that incorporate, and thus replace the existing modem. Cable broadband routers, must not include the ADSL modem.

I'd recommend that you purchase a "g" rather than "b" speed wireless router. Altough "b" speed is slower than your 2meg current broadband, over the next couple of years broadband speeds will increase as standard and thus the "g" is furture proofed.

Most wireless routers have wired LAN ports as well as the wireless. You'd simply connect the WAN (internet) port to the modem , and the LAN to the ethernet port of any desktop PC as an alternative to using a wireless card in the PC.

As for whether the service will be fast enough, probably, it's more the upload speed that is significant rather than the download. If one of you is gaming, while the other tries to download a few MP3s or something you might notice problems.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 14:38   #3
loopyandandy
Inactive

cheers for the welcome and the reply rob

the modem plugs into a usb slot on the pc, so i need a new modem or integrated modem/router? (sorry im a noob) so will a new modem effect my tesco subscription? do i have to tell them??
Old 14-09-2006, 14:42   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

The USB modem will need to be retired. I'm not aware of any ADSL ISP that insists you use the ISP supplied modem (cable is the oppostie you must use the ISP supplied modem), so no technical reason why you can't buy your own combined ADSL modem wireless router.

The only issue will be configuring the modem part of that router, and for that you may need some settings from Tesco. Some of that may be on their website, or you may have to phone their support. Not having used Tesco I'm not sure how good or bad they are at information provision.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 14:59   #5
loopyandandy
Inactive

thats bad news i guess??

i was looking at getting either
1) NETGEAR DG834PNUK WIRELESS 108MBPS RANGEMAX MODEM ROUTER & USB ADAPTER KIT (£82) (Product Type Gateway (Router / MR etc) /Protocol 802.11g / Gateway Type Router (DSL) )

or

2) BELKIN F5D9630UK4 G+ MIMO MODEM ROUTER (£90) (Product Type Gateway (Router / MR etc) /Protocol 802.11g /Gateway Type Modem Router (ADSL) )

which is best??
Old 14-09-2006, 15:04   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Netgear would be my choice.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 16:15   #7
loopyandandy
Inactive

ok i spoke to tesco and the tech man said i wouldnt have to alter any setting etc with account, just install the router drivers etc.

will i need to install isp software on the laptop in order to connect to the net?

will the desktop have to be powered up in order for me to get the net on the laptop??

jopefully getting all the stuff tonight, am plumping for the netgear kit
Old 15-09-2006, 20:34   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyandandy View Post
ok i spoke to tesco and the tech man said i wouldnt have to alter any setting etc with account, just install the router drivers etc.
Should be very simple to do. The router should have a set-up "wizard" to guide you through things, you'll just need your Tesco broadband username & password, & other other settings.

Quote:
will i need to install isp software on the laptop in order to connect to the net?
Nope. Just set up the wireless connection from the laptop to the router. No need for software.

Quote:
will the desktop have to be powered up in order for me to get the net on the laptop??
Nope. The router will do all the net connection sharing, so you won't need to have the desktop turned on to use the net on the laptop.

Quote:

jopefully getting all the stuff tonight, am plumping for the netgear kit

I've had the older 54Mbps version of the Netgear DG834 since Jan, the DG834G - very easy to set-up & use, & I've never had a problem with it
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 20:57   #9
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

There's a thread here with the parameters for setting up an ADSL modem/router with Tesco...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 21:57   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Also, make sure that you set up the security, to help prevent anyone from accessing your network or stealing your bandwidth, etc.

Two important first steps:

1) Change the default password for the router!

2) Change the SSID (it's basically the wireless network name) from the default ("Netgear") to something of your choosing.

Security set-up -

Somewhere in the Wireless Settings part of the router's admin pages there'll be a section for Security.

You should choose WPA-PSK (WiFi Protected Access - Pre-Shared Key) if your laptop supports it (should do, if you're getting one new). If not, then use WEP.

Pick a password/key & enter it in the WPA password/key box on the router. When you try & connect the laptop for the first time, enter the key you've chosen.

Also, it's worth setting up "MAC Filtering" (called "Wireless Station Access List" on the Netgear). This allows you to restrict wireless connections to the router, so that only devices you specifically allow can connect (based on the "MAC address" of their wireless card).
Old 18-09-2006, 11:03   #11
loopyandandy
Inactive

cheers for all the replies guys i really appreciate it.

i got it all set up in about 10 mins on friday evening.

i installed the router with its guide wizard and tesco were very helpful. i did nothing to the laptop however, it just automatically found the connection.

what do i need to do next to make it secure?? (remember im very new to all this )

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

also i guess i didnt set up the network correctly as there is no netgear thing in my network places folder and i guess i cant share files between the computers.
Old 18-09-2006, 20:47   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
cheers for all the replies guys i really appreciate it.

i got it all set up in about 10 mins on friday evening.

i installed the router with its guide wizard and tesco were very helpful. i did nothing to the laptop however, it just automatically found the connection.
Glad you got it working

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyandandy
what do i need to do next to make it secure?? (remember im very new to all this )

Have a read through my previous post. It's easy, even if you're fairly new to it. Just go to the router's admin pages (you need to enter the router's IP in your web browser, it's most likely 192.168.0.1), change the password if you haven't done so already, change the SSID if you haven't done so already, & then turn on WPA-PSK in the Security section & give it a passkey.

Quote:
also i guess i didnt set up the network correctly as there is no netgear thing in my network places folder and i guess i cant share files between the computers.

You don't need to have the router appear in My Network Places - but if you want it to be there (and also appear as "Internet Connection" in your "Network Connections"), then you need to turn on UPnP.

In the router's admin pages, there's an option on the left for "UPnP". Turn it on. Then, go to "Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services" on your laptop, & find these two settings: "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" and "SSDP Discovery Service". Double-click on each in turn, click on Start, and also change the Startup Type drop-down menu to "Automatic" & click "Apply".

This will allow the PC to see & control the router via UPnP, & will enable the router to be shown in My Network Places.

It saves you having to open & forward ports for things like bittorrent, but it's not really necessary.

For file sharing, you need to have "File & Printer Sharing" installed on both computers, & they both need to be in the same Workgroup.

XP has a Networking Wizard to help with setting up file sharing over your network. There's also lots of stuff on the net:

e.g.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/quick_gu...le_sharing.htm

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm
Old 19-09-2006, 10:52   #13
loopyandandy
Inactive

cheers matt thats a top answer!!

ill give the xp wizard a blast and see how i go (its not that importnat though - mainly wanted the internet connection)

so if i change the ssid and password, only the laptop will connect and not my neighbours for example?? i thought i had to assign ip addresses and the like? or am i mixed up on that one??

also i have a psp which is wifi enabled, after following its setup procedure it couldnt find ssid? dunno why? maybe it will once i change the name via the router

I have to say as well that for some reason the router is only connecting at 54mbps and it says on the box 108mbps (i bought specifically for the online gaming). Is this an option i have to turn on? or is it just that its not available if my laptop has a 54mbps card (dont know what it is).
I do have a usb dongle for the netgear i could set up on the laptop?

Not that im too bothered as the online gaming is absolutely brilliant, even when both pcs are playing it there is no drop in speed etc (and we are still on 1meg till thursday! )

the net generaly seems a lot faster and smoother when surfing - is it possible that the netgear router is working better than the tesco modem??

1 thing that has stopped since changing modem is that the tesco one was situated next to the pc case- which made it buzz like an incoming text msg etc!! that has now stoppeed (didnt realise it was that until i removed it lol)

ramble over
Old 19-09-2006, 23:45   #14
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
cheers matt thats a top answer!!

No prob

Quote:
ill give the xp wizard a blast and see how i go (its not that importnat though - mainly wanted the internet connection)

so if i change the ssid and password, only the laptop will connect and not my neighbours for example?? i thought i had to assign ip addresses and the like? or am i mixed up on that one??
No need to assign IP addresses. The router's DHCP server should be on by default, ready to dish out IP addresses, while the connections on the computers should already be set to obtain IP automatically, so will get IPs from the router.

SSID, password, encryption -

The SSID must be changed, so that you have a nice unique name, so you won't connect to someone else's accidentally, & vice versa. Also means you're not giving away the make of your router for all to see (& exploit). You can also set the SSID to be hidden (not broadcast), but sometimes that can cause connection problems, so I wouldn't bother (you're fine if you change the password & SSID, & turn on the encryption).

The encryption must be turned on, so that no-one else can connect to your router & use your broadband connection, or get onto your actual local network & see any shares you have, etc.

The password must be changed, so that if someone did get on your network (which they could do if there was no encryption turned on), they wouldn't be able to log onto your router themselves using the default password & then lock you out of your own router.

You really should change the SSID & admin password, & enable WPA-PSK, as soon as possible.

Quote:
also i have a psp which is wifi enabled, after following its setup procedure it couldnt find ssid? dunno why? maybe it will once i change the name via the router
Sorry, no idea - don't have a PSP.

Quote:
I have to say as well that for some reason the router is only connecting at 54mbps and it says on the box 108mbps (i bought specifically for the online gaming). Is this an option i have to turn on? or is it just that its not available if my laptop has a 54mbps card (dont know what it is).
I do have a usb dongle for the netgear i could set up on the laptop?

Not that im too bothered as the online gaming is absolutely brilliant, even when both pcs are playing it there is no drop in speed etc (and we are still on 1meg till thursday! )
108mbps wireless is a proprietary system, rather than a standard like 54mbps.

To connect at 108mbps, every wireless device would have to support it.

So, you would need to use the specific Netgear USB dongle for the laptop, assuming it does do 108mbps, in place of the laptop's own built-in wireless, if you wanted to connect at 108mbps.

But I don't think you would really need to - no need for a 108mbps wireless connection if your actual internet connection is only 2mbps. Even taking into account not always getting a perfect full speed 54mbps connection between computer & router it'll still be faster than necessary, as you've found. 108mbps would be good if you did a lot of file transfers between the computers & found 54mbps too slow.

Quote:
the net generaly seems a lot faster and smoother when surfing - is it possible that the netgear router is working better than the tesco modem??

Yeah, maybe. Could be better than the cheapo stuff you get free.

Main reason is probably 'cos the router/modem connects to the desktop PC via ethernet, whereas the old modem would've connected via USB, which can seem slower & uses more resources.

Old 20-09-2006, 10:26   #15
loopyandandy
Inactive

Top man matt )

Last night i changed the ssid and also turned on the encryption system with no probs

I tried the usb dongle on the laptop but it still only connected at 54mbps and im not sure why?? will it only go to 108mbps if i file share? for example the internet connection does not need more tha 54mbps so the envelope isnt stretched until needed??

I have unloaded the usb dongle now anyway as i figured that the integrated card in the laptop was fine so why have a big lump of plastic sticking out the laptop for no benefit (obviousley i may not get the advertised 300meter range with the standard card? but i cant see me ever needing it?)

one query i have though, will that dongle only work with a netgear router?? or would it be able to find a public connection, for example in mcdonalds, like the integrated can??, this is the only instance where increased range would be a benefit??

I ran the home network wizard for both desktop and laptop computers. The desktop was fine and works, the laptop flashes up a message that a network cable is unplugged for the ethernet card.

I chose to ignore and continue wizard - the laptop cant be found on network and i cant access the shared folder any ideas?? it seems to me that the laptop is trying to connect via ethernet cable/card rather than wifi.

I also set up the psp last night, for some reason it would only work now that i have enabled wep and changed the ssid - it works now anyway so no worries

final question Im going to spend a week in a travel inn for a work thing in london. Travel inn said they ahve wireless in the rooms but its £3 per 30mins! I think thats a ripoff. How can they monitor the usage? whats stopping me just trying to find a connection from someone elses room??