Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Broadband Install Info

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Broadband Install Info

Old 12-10-2006, 13:29   #1
LowFellion
Inactive

LowFellion is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Broadband Install Info

Getting broadband next week (already have TV + phone with TWest)

The box + phone line are at the other side of the living room from the PC and was told by the salesperson all I needed was a router + USB stick to avoid messy cable around the room. (i dont have a newtork adaptor card , told i just need to use the USB stick)

I now have in my possession a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Cable/DSL Router and 802.11g 54Mbps USB Stick.

Question is .... are there any idiot proof installation instructions e.g what I should install first ?
wait till I have the modem and then install the USB Stick followed by the router etc

I have found this but it refers to connecting the router to the set top box , I assume I will connecting to a modem
http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyon...wirelessdesktop

Any help appreciated

Thanks
LowFellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2006, 13:33   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Wireless Broadband Install Info

The instructions in the Belkin box should tell you what order to do things in ... but in general, you should start by getting the modem working directly with the PC and then introduce the router afterwards. Have you read through the instructions yet?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 16:31   #3
LowFellion
Inactive

LowFellion is an unknown quantity at this point

The router instructions dont really cover anything to do with the USB adaptor

Not sure what you mean by getting the modem working with the PC first when it is not located near the PC . I will have thre T\West Modem which i connect the router to and the PC will communicate to this via the USB Stick

Excuse any ignorance on my part but thats what T\West told me , just i am not sure what i need to do first , i assume it is the USB stick as i wont be able to locate the router when i install that without the USB set up

Ta
LowFellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 16:57   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

I'd suggest you get an ethernet cable such as this of sufficient length to reach the modem.

You can then use this to test your connection with the modem before introducing the router into the equation.

Once you've got broadband working, you can set up the router by connecting to it wired. After this plug in your USB adaptor & try to connect wirelessly. Once OK, set up your wireless security & put the cable away for a rainy day...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 17:05   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If your PC doesn't have a network card, things might be a bit more challenging to set up your network. The problem will be entering settings on your router during the initial setup. Normally you would do this wired, and then go wireless, if you have to go stright to wireless, you will have to take pot luck as to whether you can get that connection first time. You'll have to try everything on default settings and see what happens.

The usual rule of thumb for getting a network setup is:

1) Ensure your basic cable broadband is working - connect the PC to the modem and see what happens. You may need to run some setup routines to register that new modem with ntl. You may be able to use a supplied modem to USB lead to do this.
2) Once you are satisfied the cable broadband works, power it all off!
3) Now unplug any cable you had connected. Connect with ethernet a cable between the modem and router. Attach your wirless USB adaptor to the PC.
4) Boot up and hope you can detect the wireless network. I fyou can't you are going to have to get a wired connection somehow between your router and PC, even temporarily, to allow you to setup the wireless.
5) If you can get a wireless connection going, make sure you enable security.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 17:12   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
I'd suggest you get an ethernet cable such as this of sufficient length to reach the modem.

You can then use this to test your connection with the modem before introducing the router into the equation.

Once you've got broadband working, you can set up the router by connecting to it wired. After this plug in your USB adaptor & try to connect wirelessly. Once OK, set up your wireless security & put the cable away for a rainy day...
Only if he has ethernet on his PC, which according to his OP he may not have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFellion View Post
The router instructions dont really cover anything to do with the USB adaptor

Not sure what you mean by getting the modem working with the PC first when it is not located near the PC . I will have thre T\West Modem which i connect the router to and the PC will communicate to this via the USB Stick

Excuse any ignorance on my part but thats what T\West told me , just i am not sure what i need to do first , i assume it is the USB stick as i wont be able to locate the router when i install that without the USB set up

Ta
I'm not so familiar with TW sign-up procedures but if it's like NTL you need to visit a website to activate your broadband before you can do anything else. It may be tricky to do that unless you have the PC connected directly to the modem.

This is the only drawback of using a wireless router to save you having the modem anywhere near the desk where your PC is - even if you can set up your broadband by introducing the router first of all, sooner or later your broadband'd going to break down and I promise you the first thing tech support will blame will be your router, so you'll end up lugging your PC over to where the modem is to plug it straight in without the router. That would be enough of a reason by itself to get your PC working directly with the modem before you try to play about with routers.

Once you have your broadband live and active and working when cabled directly to the PC, you can then connect to the router and configure it according to the instructions in the box. I am not very familiar with wireless USB adaptors but I would be mildly surprised if you can use one to configure the router. I would have thought you would have to plug a wire straight from the PC to the router to do this. What do the instructions say about setting it up?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 21:11   #7
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

MAC addresses are now automatically registered with Telewest, you don't have to do anything. Just unplug the modem from the power, connect it to the router (make sure the router is on) and power the modem back up. It will automatically register the router's MAC and then all you need to do is reboot the router and everything will work.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote