Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot get my modem to work with either of my routers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot get my modem to work with either of my routers

Old 23-01-2009, 11:26   #1
kurtis
Inactive

kurtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Cannot get my modem to work with either of my routers

I've tried directly connecting my laptop to the modem and i get internet fine but when i connect it to my dlink DI-254 (i believe) or my W306r tenda router
neither are able to get connected, they continously say connecting, yesterday morning it was working fine though..
kurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2009, 11:33   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Cannot get my modem to work with either of my routers

Are you rebooting the modem when you change the connection / plug in the router?

My connection went weird last night. VM may well have been doing some work on the network. Until I rebooted everything I couldn't connect this morning, and now I have a new IP.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:36   #3
kurtis
Inactive

i've rebooted everything 3 or 4 times.. it sometimes get's the connection but no gateway..
Old 23-01-2009, 11:38   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Did you power off/on the modem each time you changed the connection?
I'm assuming you are refering to a VM Cable Modem. What says 'connecting' - the laptop wireless connection to the router or the router admin page? If the former, have you tried plugging a lan cable between laptop and router?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:45   #5
kurtis
Inactive

I'm connected directly to the modem right now.

It says connecting on the status page on each router i tried, i did reset every appliance at least 3 times yesterday v-v

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

i just remembered that when it does say that there is some sort of connection but there's no gateway it has a different ip to what i have when connected directly through
Old 23-01-2009, 11:48   #6
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

What type of modem is it (name on front or bottom) and what does the 'different' IP begin with, eg 86.x.x.x?
Old 23-01-2009, 11:48   #7
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis View Post
I'm connected directly to the modem right now.

It says connecting on the status page on each router i tried, i did reset every appliance at least 3 times yesterday v-v

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

i just remembered that when it does say that there is some sort of connection but there's no gateway it has a different ip to what i have when connected directly through
Is it a 169.x.x.x IP address?

When you say reset, do you mean unplug for a bit or did you reset to factory defaults?
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 13:56   #8
kurtis
Inactive

no something like 213.x.x.x i think if i remember rightly

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

bump?

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Anyonee?
Old 23-01-2009, 14:51   #9
Aragorn
Inactive

A 213 IP address is a valid Virgin IP.
Does either router have a test function, to ping direct from the router to somewhere like www.bbc.co.uk?
Old 23-01-2009, 16:09   #10
kurtis
Inactive

nvm i fixed it in a weird way..

i found an old modem a few weeks ago (ntl one)

so i decided to try that, then i unplugged it then i plugged in the current one again and it worked o.O