Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | belkin 54g setup security

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

belkin 54g setup security

Old 24-09-2005, 11:59   #1
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them
belkin 54g setup security

anyone with same router able to guide me on how to secure my router for my network. am connected to two machines my pc and wireless pc downstairs.
akane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2005, 12:40   #2
Kliro
Inactive

Kliro has reached the bronze age
Kliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Kliro
Re: belkin 54g setup security

I have WEP 128 bit on, and mac filtering, Im told this isnt enough, but its a start.

Open your Web browser and type http://192.168.1.1 it should prompt for the name you assigned for the router and the password.

Go to wireless, and then wireless security is a subcategory, enable WEP and choose a phrase to generate your hex key.

The hex key should be remembered by windows after the 1st time you connect using it on the wireless pc.

Mac filtering is also a subcategory on wireless, so just select it (do this from the wireless pc) and tell it to only allow that mac to connect wirelessly.

I'm sure theres a lot more you can do, but thats what I got...
Kliro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 19:39   #3
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

thanks mate, any more tips for security or even better performance tips let me know.
Old 24-09-2005, 20:27   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

download doc in post 6

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=34657

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 11:15   #5
akane1984
Inactive

downloaded doc very helpful trouble though i got mac address filtering working but when i tried to not broadcast the ssid my wirless pc would drop out. and when i enabled 128 or 64 wep it would also drop out am i doing something wrong.
Old 25-09-2005, 13:11   #6
Kliro
Inactive

Kliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze age

You mean drop out right after you assigned it??

If so its because you need to reconnect using the hex key.
Old 25-09-2005, 16:17   #7
akane1984
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliro
You mean drop out right after you assigned it??

If so its because you need to reconnect using the hex key.
how do i do that on wireless side
Old 26-09-2005, 00:39   #8
verticalforce
Inactive

verticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enough

I used to have WPA encrption running on my wireless router but changed it to WEP, my gaming device dislike WPA very much.
verticalforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 08:11   #9
Kliro
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane1984
how do i do that on wireless side
Go into wireless connections, so that you can see your connection, select your connection and press connect, it should now ask for your hex key, input it, and it should connect (should take longer than before) and then windows will remember the key.