Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL Set top box wireless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL Set top box wireless

Old 14-03-2005, 22:18   #1
Plug
Inactive

Plug is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL Set top box wireless

Hi

Question:
I have just had broadband installed and would like to connect to the internet via a wireless connection from my laptop.

Is it possible to connect directly to the internet i.e. is there a gizmo out there that i could plug in to the set top box and then put a card in to my laptop and surf the internet.

Hope this is clear

Plug
Plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2005, 22:21   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: NTL Set top box wireless

You can connect wirelessly, you need to get an access point or router/access point, which connects to the STB, and a wireless card for your lappy (if it's not already wireless enabled).

If you are only ever going to connect one lappy (never, ever a consol or extra PC) the access point should be enough.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 22:25   #3
Plug
Inactive

trying not to be thick, but what does STB mean?

Also do you know of any types that work without to much fuss

any help would be greatly appreciated

You can connect wirelessly, you need to get an access point or router/access point, which connects to the STB, and a wireless card for your lappy (if it's not already wireless enabled).

If you are only ever going to connect one lappy (never, ever a consol or extra PC) the access point should be enough.[/QUOTE]
Old 14-03-2005, 22:31   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Look for offerings from Linksys, Netgear D-Link, plenty of posts in this forum on all of these. They are all quite easy to set up in default.

Note that if you are only using the lappy, and have no other computers to network in your house, you only need the basic 802.11b standard kit, as the wireless network would still work faster than any current cable or ADSL broadband connection could supprt.

STB = Set Top Box (as you posted in the title to this thread)

Oh and I forgot my manners to Cable Forum
Old 14-03-2005, 22:33   #5
Plug
Inactive

So do i get a wireless router and connect to the back of the set top box and a card for my laptop?
Old 14-03-2005, 22:36   #6
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby

This is what I use, and it was easy to set up and works perfectly
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 22:42   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plug
So do i get a wireless router and connect to the back of the set top box and a card for my laptop?
Yep you got it.

Dunno what model of lappy you have, but if not already wireless enabled, best option is the PCMIA adaptor cards.

Jellybaby's recommendation is as good as any. Although as said before if not using any other computers you could save money by getting the 802.11b spec instead of the 802.11g standard of Jellybaby's link. You could possibly get it cheaper online.
Old 14-03-2005, 22:43   #8
Plug
Inactive

Thanks all will give it a try

Plug
Old 14-03-2005, 22:44   #9
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Let us know how you get on
Old 15-03-2005, 11:52   #10
pnlambert
Inactive

Services: TV 20Mbit Broadband with ntl:250
pnlambert is on a distinguished roadpnlambert is on a distinguished road

I strongly recommend you take a look at the Linksys WRT54G/GS.

This is a nice little wireless router, the G comes in at about £52 from dabs, and the GS at around £10 more. The different being more RAM and FLASH.

Why this particular router????

Well, there is "custom" firmware available for the device. Linksys have released their source under GPL and companies such as sveasoft have customised the firmware to increase performance and functionality.

I run the WRT54GS here. I have QoS (Quality of Service) running, so even when im downloading/uploading/both flat out, my browsing still happens swiftly. It also means I can happily remote into my PC and not have huge lag!

Other benefits include the ability to turn up your transmit power on the radio to 251mw. This is a large increase in power and will allow your signal to travel as much as 25-30% further than standard. (Although be aware that this isn't allowed in the standard firmware as the maximum permitted EIRP for 2.4ghz in the UK is 20dBm/100mw)

Good luck with your first wireless venture!!!

Paul.
pnlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 19:21   #11
chienmort
Inactive

Services: NTL Digital Family Pack 750K STB Broadband
chienmort is on a distinguished roadchienmort is on a distinguished road

There are also wireless ethernet bridges from both Linksys and Netgear. This is like a single port access point but is easier to set up. The disadvantage is that it will only connect peer-peer. So only one PC can connect.
chienmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 20:52   #12
Plug
Inactive

BINGO!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all, I've just bought a Belkin G Wireless router & a Netgear card and hey presto 5 mins later up and running....

Thanks again for the advice

Plug

PS: Great value all for under 70 quid at www.rswww.com in watford
Old 15-03-2005, 21:57   #13
pnlambert
Inactive

Services: TV 20Mbit Broadband with ntl:250
pnlambert is on a distinguished roadpnlambert is on a distinguished road

I just hope the Belkin router is up to your demands..... What sort of traffic are you going to be putting through it????
pnlambert is offline   Reply With Quote